Ultra-Mod Softrider Progressing

TalleyHo

Cycle Analyst Aboard

The latest upgrade to the UltraMod Sofrider is the most welcome addition of a Cycle Analyst computer. no more guessing how much juice is in the "tank" or how many watts is being discharged when throttling heavily. It's good to know and compare watt-hrs/mile, the e-equivalent to MPG, and I'll be able to gauge performance generally. It has a power cable to plug in a lighting system and more. At $125 it's a deal and must have for e-assist. Here is the requisite photo showing that it did happen.

P1010271.JPG

BTW, over the next few weeks the tail box fairing may begin forming, the lord willing and all.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
If you can pull the fairing

If you can pull the fairing closer to your body (if that's possible) there will be aero benefits.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
regarding the n360 ratios

Had meant to get this posted earlier. Regarding the torque limits and the N360. The HSD actually is far more likely to violate the ratios than the MD. The MD is a strain release drive, it is meant to lower torque and is quite safe with the N360. Rather than repeat the discussion, you can read about it here at length http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=1123754#post1123754 the first two posts referenced in that one directly answer the torque concerns, the third has some interesting discussion from people using it with the Rolhff speed drive. Short answer is the MD is safe with the N360 assuming you don't try to drag race from a dead stop in under-drive while towing a 500 lb trailer.

TalleyHo

Aero and Gearing

I appreciate, John, calling my attention to getting the fairing as close as possible. I've been a little slack with that and see now that I can move it in some. In planning this i never thought there could be that much drag reduction with a front fairing as the rider can't get close enough, I thought. But there has been a significant and very noticeable speed increase and ability to hold speed longer. And I can do even better as there is some foot-room to close up. I was surprised to notice when on roll-down testing course yesterday that the Sofrider seemed to rival/out-perform the Silvio 2 but that could be explained by the extra 25 lbs.

Bob, thanks for that info on the MD. I can now see that a set up with, say, a 58T ring with a effective 23T low for starts and when the e-assist is unavailable on hills would totally have all eventualities covered with the major time in direct drive. What's not to like! Now, how to make a HSD become a MD?

thwaters

Url for pic with Arkel bags mounted

This shows my commuter bag setup -- Arkel computer/briefcase and backpack bag. Have bought two 60L Arkel recumbent bags to go underseat, will have to finish trimming fender stays first. Stay tuned. Copy and paste url below into a new window:

https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10478943_781675991888873_366654784818715239_n.jpg?oh=561c8bdc10710d1f62f2af6cc4ba5903&oe=54B25EAD

thwaters

Trying to upload an image of my SoftriderV2 with Tubus Logo rack

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10690028_781675575222248_4124042556838853467_n.jpg?oh=721ed76f547497f282282a818042d0cb&oe=54F5E0DC&__gda__=1424925696_000c43e438d77a43b6dd3788b2d55367

If you copy and paste the URL above, it will take you to the image. Tubus rack turned backwards with tail light bracket cut off; Jandd Extreme Front Rack on back; lots of clamps and turnbuckles (steel and heavy) to hold the racks in place. Heavy, but solid as a rock. Will continue to slowly test out loads. Need to change gearing - currently too high, and I'm too old and out of shape! Will adopt some of Plager's gearing with a 9 speed cluster and thumbies.

TalleyHo

Ultra Mod update

P1010434.JPG

The thwaters post has inspired me to post an update of my beloved Ultra Mod sofrider. Honestly, it's more fun than riding the Silvio but I love the Silvio just as much. I'd hate to have to choose between them.

So the upgrades are the Cygolite 800 lumen unit and the Rans Crescent panniers. The panniers are great for a commuter as they hold enough and don't slow you down; maybe even a slight net positive aero gain. They are just $80 for the pair, too, from Rans. I've decided for now to not go Ultra with a Schlumpf MD and continue to enjoy no shift biking; just a little twist of one throttle and/or the other. The left side "throttle" to the CVT and the right side to the e-assist, both throttles in contact with the grips and in constant contact with hands. It has spoiled me. The most fun is in traffic where we can out accelerate everyone, actuating both throttles and getting clear and in the safe zone about the small city of Rockland.

I intend to use the Ultra Mod year round with clear roads. It's a ride as you are vehicle too as no special cloths are required. Crocs on the feet in summer, motorcycle helmet as head ware in winter, anything goes. It essentially has the transport value of a moped but much lighter and more fun. I could have done the same thing with any number of bikes but I can't imagine a better result than i've gotten with the Cruzbike Sofrider. Thanks to Cruzbike for making such awesome bikes!

P1010433.JPG

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I used to have a Windwrap on my Silvio 1.0

Dave,

I ran a windwrap fairing on my Silvio 1.0 for about 3-4 months back in 2010.
I removed it because of an accumulation of small issues:
  • it wasn't wide enough to keep my hands warm (50% of the reason I wanted it)
  • it scattered so much light (headlight mounted INSIDE and low) when it rained that I had a hard time seeing the road - especially in the dark - looks like you fixed that with an external mount.
  • it was pulled closer in, like John indicated above, for good aero (the other 50% of the reason I tried it) but, again, when it rained the water drops beaded up on the surface, which was fine, but then when I hit a bump, especially at speed, I'd get a serious dousing, right in the face.
  • it was just *that* much more weight/inertia added to the MBB front end that played with my handling just enough to be a bother. It wasn't really bad, especially over 10mph, but it made for some disconcerting low speed feel that I didn't like in my in-city portion of my commute.

When one of the pieces failed - I took it off and never looked back.
I now have custom hand covers (kinda like moose-mitts) which accomplish WAY more for me than the whole front fairing did.

It looks like your setup is steeper than mine was on my Silvio - you probably don't have as much of the rain-blast-in-the-face problem I did.

Are you hands staying in the wind shadow? (based on a couple of these pics - I guess no)
Do you also experience the ungainliness that comes with the added weight on the front?

TalleyHo

Faring on Sofrider

Lief,

I was actually surprised how little impact that Windwrap fairing had/has on my Sofrider. Right from the start with it there was no noticeable drag on handling. Boy, what a bonus! The Sofrider in my opinion is a high performance format for handling, especially with the freerider bars, although I can't speak with authority about handling with the stock bars as I have riden so little that way. It's like the Silvio, with me, as I went with bullhorns to enhance the upper body aspect to riding these machines. But the Sofrider format has the upright posture which is superior for engaging all the muscles needed along with low C of G for athletic maneuvers.

I was after weather protection with the fairing initially but was surprised to find that it had a significant aero benefit despite it not so close to body and in the rain it is working very well keeping dry just wearing a coat.

It's actually pretty amazing riding hard, laying over this thing with that large fairing. I'm glad for the higher volume aggressive tires and with total weight right at 70 lbs including lots of tools, panniers and all there is a long run out, maintaining speed (aero plus extra weight). In the high gusty wind there is extra challenge, not a time to not be paying attention, but with the freerider bars and natural instincts I've enjoyed dealing with the wind. BTW, I couldn't do a Sofrider w/o freerider bars as the stock set up is way too hampster-ish for me.