UMCA Across Washington N to S - 2015

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Could a Cateye Padrone Smart speedo ($220 with speed/cadence sensor+ heart rate) that links to an Android phone or an Apple Thingy, with Ant+, and displays Speed, Power and heart rate, while your phone records everything, while the display is off to save battery life!!! Any phone calls to you will be displayed on the cateye screen.

http://www.bikewagon.com/cateye-pad...il&utm_term=0_e2275e9757-7507b40563-127925309
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-PA500B/

Lief, all the best wishes on your ride!!!!!

Lief

Guru Schmuru
That's a long commute.
Battleaxe! So true!
I think this Friday might be the first 1st Bike To Work Day* I've missed in quite some time.

*I don't commute every single day - but every year in May the Puget Sound Region is inundated with Bike To Work commuters and especially on one particular friday there are stands with coffee and food and water bottles etc etc...I'll be driving to Oroville instead.

I figure I'll make up for it on Saturday. :)

Cruzbike Chris

Yes Lucia, you do have to create an account and follow in Endomondo and it is a great app, can have the iPhone go to sleep and still folks can watch your route live, with only slight delay and send you pep talks as well. Pretty cool if you have a BT headset on too. Let us know which way you go Lief, would love to follow you. Good luck, and happy ridin!
https://www.endomondo.com/home I created a team to make it easier to follow all, kinda like Strava.
If you want to join the Cruzbike United Team go here: https://www.endomondo.com/teams/lZPLIpKWVbM

Better yet Lief - Mount a Garmin VIRB or GoPro to your boom and record the "whole" thing!
That would be awesome!
Yes Lucia, you do have to create an account and follow in Endomondo and it is a great app, can have the iPhone go to sleep and still folks can watch your route live, with only slight delay and send you pep talks as well. Pretty cool if you have a BT headset on too. Let us know which way you go Lief, would love to follow you. Good luck, and happy ridin!
https://www.endomondo.com/home I created a team to make it easier to follow all, kinda like Strava.
If you want to join the Cruzbike United Team go here: https://www.endomondo.com/teams/lZPLIpKWVbM
I'm getting an access denied message when I try to join the team.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Since I've got a follow vehicle (with an official) I'm thinking of swiping my daughters phone - and just plugging it into the car.
It won't be "my" speed but it will be close.

I'll look at Endomondo and FollowMee

Thanks for the cheering section!

Opps gadget guy late to the thread. If it's just about position tracking and not sports stats then....

Get Motion-X GPS (not the Drive Version).

Put on daughters phone

Turn on Live UPDATE and it will post to Facebook, Email, Twitter, time intervals of 5, 15, 30 or 1 hour available. Recommend 30 minutes.
Turn on Live UPDATE for maps and it will put your position a public MAP that people can view if they know your channel # which you can pick ahead of time and share. Map updates can be 30secs, 1min, 5min, or 10min.

And you get a great GEO-Caching GPS app to boot.

jond

Zen MBB Master
All right Cruzbike NW crew. Anyone up for a road trip on Saturday? Here's what I'm thinking. Biggest climb in Lief's attempt is Highway 17 just north of Hwy 2. He thinks he'll be there between 10:30-12. How cool would it be if a group of us was there to cheer him to the summit?
that would be very very cool. hope some people cruzbikers can make it to cheer on and help.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I successfully tested Glympse, already have it on our "home" cell-phone (old 2.2 Android device"). [my daughter got cranky when I suggested borrowing her phone...she woulda caved but still]
Glympse will autopost a URL to Facebook for me - I can make it "public".
Once it's running Bob, please cross-post to this forum (IRTG etc...) for me?

It'll go "live" if anyone is watching. If nobody is watching the page it will not update.
I'm planning to plug the phone into the follow vehicle so it should be about-as-accurate-as-can-be-without-actually-being-on-me - they have to stay in sight of me.

Feelin' pretty good.
Lost 1/2 of my masterlink (those suckers must BOUNCE!) last night lubing my chain - hadda get replacement +1 this morning.
The wind forecast has shifted a little bit - even before the starters pistol went off.

(gotta focus on things I CAN control tho.)

Thanks for the HUGE outpouring of support - good words of wisdom from too many of you.
Glad to have ya'll in my corner.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Good luck Lief, rooting for you. Be careful out there.

I generally use Cyclemeter. You can configure update intervals and with the Facebook integration people can post comments while you are riding and Cyclemeter will read them to you while you are riding.

Ride With GPS can also be configured to update at short intervals to your RWGPS account and has the advantage of turn-by-turn navigation, including audio if desired.

Long distances using either app will require an external battery. My iPhone 5 and Anker 5,600mAh battery would last about 17-18 hours. My iPhone 5 and Anker 10,000mAh battery will easily last 24 hours+. The trick is to make sure you continue pulling juice from the external battery. Sometimes the connection cable can get bumped causing the "power" to go off. On my Anker batteries you have to press the status button to get the power to start flowing to the plugged in iPhone which will also illuminate the status LEDs. IIRC, those LEDs will remain lit as long as you are drawing juice from the battery.

-Eric

that would be very very cool. hope some people cruzbikers can make it to cheer on and help.
And my week just keeps getting better. :(

My wife reminded me I have a medical appointment Saturday morning. Stupid T1d...

I won't be there in person Lief. But like everyone else here I will be cheering my fool head off at home. Have a great ride and enjoy the experience. Should be an epic ride. :)

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Oh I'll be riding disc on the rear.
Make my own wind turbine. :)

But it's not compatible with my rack (thru spoke mount) so that rear wheeL on the Vendetta is just a spacer.