UMCA Across Washington N to S - 2015

The standard or DF record is 11:49. Depending on Lief's official start time he could be very close to that record. (He'll set a record for recumbents regardless.). About 15 miles to go by my reckoning.

Last edited:
In case you missed the post on FaceBook, Lief finished in an unofficial time of 12:29 with an ave speed of 20.4mph. He hit a 20+ mph headwind on a 25 mile stretch near the end of the day. He's tired, thrilled and achy.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I'm up at 4AM aching in bed. :)
Much to report. Plenty of fail. Plenty of win.
My virtual support network (online) is crazy awesome!

Thanks so much for all the encouragement.

I'll post to my strava account later tonight when we get home.

The good news : my ride is one continuous file.
The bad news: I think the power meter worked flawlessly - so I can't blame the extreme drop off in power in the last ~100mi on it.
Haha

I'm up at 4AM aching in bed. :)
The bad news: I think the power meter worked flawlessly - so I can't blame the extreme drop off in power in the last ~100mi on it.
Haha

Much success. Period. :)

Could be maybe that 25 mile stretch into a gale had something to do with the drop off? :rolleyes:

My biggest thought though is that for a first ultra, you had an amazing ride. Nothing fail about it my friend. :)

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Congrats again Lief!
Fantastic job - well done!
Amazing too to me - you are a "sprinter" - turned Ultra distance man - even more amazing!

Yes - called being really tired. haha! I remember thought could easily maintain my "recovery" wattage (150) through the nighttime section of Sebring. Yeah right! I was decieved and I was disappointed that I could only maintain 75 watts.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Lief, a FANTASTIC Ride!!!
ANOTHER Record for Cruzbike!!!
In two days time you will look back fondly on your ride!!!
You have obviously planned, organised, and trained very well for this great ride!

Bruce B

Lief has added his name to the increasingly long list of accomplishments by CruzBike riders.

Over the years "Ride Reports" on this forum have described incredible accomplishments. Keep it up. You all should be proud.

jond

Zen MBB Master
lief truly remarkable accomplishment. those last 30 miles must have seemed like forever at the time. but you made it you did it you absolute gold plated champion. :) thanks to everyone for posting. living vicariously through cruzbikers exploits is very inspiring and perhaps some of us will attempt our own madness some day........ recover well lief and again a hearty congratulations and if i was there i would give you a big bear hug so accept a virtual. after all we are cruzbike family right. now i get to watch larry's assault on the mountain. yippeeee.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Congrats again Lief!
Fantastic job - well done!
Amazing too to me - you are a "sprinter" - turned Ultra distance man - even more amazing!

Yes - called being really tired. haha! I remember thought could easily maintain my "recovery" wattage (150) through the nighttime section of Sebring. Yeah right! I was decieved and I was disappointed that I could only maintain 75 watts.
larry this subjectivity can be a problem riding through the night without the hard data illuminated and your performance can drift. i find myself nursing the garmin home without a backlight and not knowing what or actually perhaps in my case not caring exactly what the figure is. i use a gomadic charger on the garmin to keep it alive on the longer rides but have never been game to leave the backlight on permanently. plus it is distracting and annoying in the wee small hours especially if you enter the phantom zone..... or maybe the performance drifts simply because of fatigue and i am tuckered out and need a sleep. amazing what an hours kip can bring in terms of renewed energy. on some 1200 klm audax difficult rides sleep arrives only 2 hours in every 24. but i forgot larry on your 24 hour time trials you dont get to sleep at all..... :) so you will have to drink more coffee and chocolate milk. :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

See this is why I make my goal to be really good a riding at 90 watts; then there's basically no drop off to worry about. ;)

Alan W Dolbeer

Great accomplishment Lief! I am always amazed at ultra distance efforts as I have never managed more than around 115 miles and only one five hour century. The number of distance and speed records held by riders on Cruzbikes just keeps increasing. Looking forward to reading your ride report.

Suz

Great Job Lief!! I live in South Western Idaho and the wind was BRISK Saturday. I was hoping, during my ride, that it wasn't as windy for you. However that doesn't sound like the case. Great job, and know you also had someone rooting you on in Idaho.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Just to finish off this thread, I got the official notice from UMCA today.

Dear Lief,
Congratulations! Your new record is now officially certified by Ultra Marathon Cycling Association (UMCA) as follows:

Lief Zimmerman, 43, Renton, Washington
Recumbent
Washington, North-South
Using previously established endpoints
May 16, 2015
12 Hours 28 minutes (12:28)
254.8 Miles
20.44 mph average speed
Official: William Smith
Crew: James Zimmerman, Jim Zimmerman

Note: Very good speed, 20+ mph; first Washington record on a recumbent.

UMCA Records Chairman
Drew Clark

Thanks to all of you for all of your amazing support!

Just to finish off this thread, I got the official notice from UMCA today.

Dear Lief,
Congratulations! Your new record is now officially certified by Ultra Marathon Cycling Association (UMCA) as follows:

Lief Zimmerman, 43, Renton, Washington
Recumbent
Washington, North-South
Using previously established endpoints
May 16, 2015
12 Hours 28 minutes (12:28)
254.8 Miles
20.44 mph average speed
Official: William Smith
Crew: James Zimmerman, Jim Zimmerman

Note: Very good speed, 20+ mph; first Washington record on a recumbent.

UMCA Records Chairman
Drew Clark

Thanks to all of you for all of your amazing support!
Wahooo!