UMCA Century Road Record Attempt - Oct 11, 2015

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
The day that has been planned for and trained for for months and months is almost upon me.
What seemed so far in the future and a distant dream has snuck up like a thief!

Tomorrow I will be attempting the UMCA Century Road record for age group 50-59 on a recumbent.
Much like Lief's quest for the N-S Washington record, I have no competition, no existing record to break.
Marko Baloh currently holds the fastest record time of "3:48:41" - of any rider any age on any bike, which is 26.24 mph. He road this record when he was 45 on a standard bicycle.
That takes some of the pressure off, or does it?
I want to make a good showing for recumbents, for the Cruzbike tribe, for my age (55).
I can feel the pressure now .... whatever time I ride will be a record ... that is pressure enough.

Many of you know this is my first year of racing. I rode my first recumbent: a Cruzbike (A Silvio 2.0) in June of 2014, traded it for a Vendetta in late September. I have been training and riding pretty steady since then.
I had a pretty good showing at Calvin's challenge in May, but since then there has a steady drop in my power and performance. Probably too much training for this old body?!?
On Saturday, Sept. 12 I rode my "standard" semi-hard 4 hour Century training ride on my indoor trainer only to see my heart rate creep up to 180bpm before the 4 hours was complete! Wow! Back in April I could ride this same workout and not even be breathing hard. I very upset, devastated, and disappointed at myself. I basically peaked back in the April-May time frame. Now my "key" ride was in a month, and my fitness was going downhill fast! I also had a charity ride starting on Sept 24, that would have me ride 10 Centuries in 10 days. What should I do? On the wise counsel of a very good friend I took the next 11 days totally off. Then I did my 10 Centuries. He said he would give me a 50-50 chance of re-setting my over-trained system back to some semblance of what it was earlier in the year. I was tired after my 1000+ miles in 10 days which ended last Saturday (Oct 3rd), but did feel better than I did 3 weeks ago. I tapered a little during this week, riding semi-hard hour intervals with little sprints mixed in on Monday and Wednesday, and fairly easy recovery the rest of the time. Perhaps it worked - We shall see.

I will be riding a 32 mile loop near Lumberton (the home of Jim and Maria Parker - perhaps you have heard of them?) The have agree to be the UMCA officials for my attempt. Other good friends: Andrew Thompson and Alvin Maxwell, and my wife Gayle will be my support crew. The attempt was supposed to be today, but the forecast is for 100% rain, thunderstorms in the "morning", and 1" to 2" of rain. So we re-scheduled it until tomorrow. The forecast is much better, although there is still a 30% chance of rain. Humidity will be high at around 70%, morning temps will be around 55 with a high of 70 and 10-15 mph winds. I am hoping an early start will miss some of the winds.

I will be broadcasting my live position using Glympse. If you would like to follow me I can send a link to your phone or email. (If you are interested in this follow link, send me one of the other to larryoslund@gmail.com)
I plan to start sometime around 7-8am tomorrow, Sunday, Oct 11.
Thanks for all the encouragement that I have already received. It's nice to know you are not riding alone.
Larry

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Good luck Larry...will be thinking about you, while on my easy-peasy pleasure ride tomorrow. Hope the weather cooperates as that in itself can play a big factor in the outcome.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Good luck Larry, and do NOT wear your new tall red hat!!!
I hope there is no wind to upset the ride.
Have you been talking to your legs to behave themselves during the ride, and only cramp up after the ride!!!
Have you found a hydration product that you can stomach in the concentrations required, for your huge power output in 70% humidity?

You will make the Cruzbike tribe proud, no matter what the result!
Every good race result or record attempt raises the Cruzbike profile!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
UMCA fastest ever! Mr O is older than me (52) but is faster than I will ever be, even if I got a Vendetta. When I am hurtling down a steep hill I will try to imagine that it is flat and I am a gnome.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Ok - so I'm doing some math here - never good for me but especially so at 7AM on 5 hrs sleep.

"If I'm wrong...and I'm never wrong..." (The Princess Bride)

I'm guessing he started at 5AM pacific time based on the timing of my invite to his Glympse (4:43 am)
I missed the start but I can see the whole route, including what I think is his starting location, in the image of the invite. (Corner of Kenric Drive and HWY 74)
I mapped the loop and Google says 32.2 miles.
I can see Larry is coming up on a full lap here traveling at about 25mph
So, that will make this Lap #2, after 7:00.
(7:14AM right now)

64.4 miles / his time when he arrives will give me his average speed.
And then from there I can do an estimate of his overall time.
More to come...

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Okay 7:22 at the turn, came into it at 26mph, and left the turn at 27mph...time for some math.
  • 64.4mi / 2.3666h = 27.21avg
  • 100mi / 27.21mph = 3.68hrs
That's really fast AND subject to some factors, like actual start location, actual start time, and the lag in the Glympse - any of which could make significant differences.
The thing is - those assumptions are reasonable AND despite what appears like an unreasonable record breaking pace - @LarryOz has proven that he can accomplish some seemingly unreasonably things

(I'll see if I can get some confirmation on some of these assumptions...but in the meantime)

Go Larry Go!

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Yeah! Crazy.
8:35AM
alright - well the glympse invite expires in about 5 min. I think the default is 4hrs.
Larry is just about to complete a 32.2 mile lap since I marked it at 7:22 - I'll do the math on that lap when he completes.

Then I'll be blind but with a much better estimate of avg speed.

8:41AM
So - that turn was made at 8:41

8H 41m-7H 22m = 1H19m = 1.316H
32.2mi loop / 1.316 = 24.46MPH

I'm guessing sometime about now, he'd be finishing.
8:48

Sub 4 hr.
Perhaps just a touch off overall world record pace?
The backside (heading north) of his last lap looked slower than the first time I watched it.
Indeed, it looks like there could be as much as a 10mph headwind going north.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well done Larry, great ride. My thoughts were with you today. Going against the wind is like going uphill. Sounds like a well earnt rest.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks everyone. Truly a group effort! No one can do one of these on their own!
Kudos to everyone on the team: Jim, Maria, Doug, Alvin, my wife Gayle, my friend Andrew Thompson.
A special thanks to my parents to making the drive down to see me ride. Their first time seeing me ride.
And of course thanks for all the encouragement from all of you - the TRIBE!!
p.s. Thanks Doug - Love this picture!