UMCA Century Road Record Attempt - Oct 11, 2015

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Excellent report! What a ride!

"This time I had a nasty surprise from a big diesel pickup truck that I suppose was a little unhappy that we slowed him down this Sunday morning. As he passed me, he floored it and I was engulfed in a large black cloud of thick smoke!"

They call it "rolling coal." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal

Bentas

Well done Larry ,
killer ride! But then you are the giant killer after all.
When I grow up I want to be like you.

jond

Zen MBB Master
truly wonderful effort and a great ride report. again i felt like i was riding with you. i thought i could even smell the diesel cloud fumes at one point. bummer about the helmet fogging up. but you did not let those setbacks and bottle trial issue cause you to panic. superb larry just superb. so very inspiring too. cant wait to try it out myself. and for christmas i am going to get one of those aero helmets. finally any record is achieved through dedication belief effort and determination of which you have in spades my friend. congratulations. and a great big thankyou to all those involved. a great capital T team effort. i hope you feel recovered quickly.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Great Ride AND report!!
Mother Nature was NOT your friend on your ride day!!!

You have matured as a great racer in only 1 year of racing, to handle the mishaps without panicking!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Larry, You are not old... just stop comparing yourself to everyone else. There is, only one Larry. You yourself said in your write up that you could save 3 minutes, with the right helmet and then you mention that if you rested better the night before and sorted out the hydration better then it would have been an even significant saving. My guess is that you will do a second attempt probably next spring... I suspect too that spring has a seasonal wind that is not so strong. The wind has to be strong enough in autumn to take the old leaves off the trees. Autumn is a most beautiful season. Enjoy your victory. It is a PB and I am sure its not your last.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks again everyone!
I think 2016 will be an even greater year - with more "Cruz'ers" riding events, and racing.
Can't wait too see what the new year brings - for now: rest, and testing, and planning, and testing, and dreaming some more! :)

LarryOz

As promised, here is a link to my Century attempt video.
It is from the perspective of the support vehicle as I did not want the camera on my bike this time. It is kind of weird to get used to, but the dashboard stats are always of me, even though you don't see me sometimes as the car jumps ahead.
I was hard to condense over 4 hours of video down to something reasonable (+/- 30 minutes) without really missing something.
So, I decide to give you the whole ride (sped up by 8x), but slowing down to normal speed when something "interesting" came up.
It is also not the best quality, but still over 3GB. Took 30 hours to upload at home, since I have such lame upload speed.
I will probably make a full length video for myself (just to watch on the trainer), and will try and make it available (maybe via Ratz - if he'll let me stick it on his Dropbox)
Enjoy!

To mimic what Joe said in another thread: It is so amazing the year is over already! I can still remember when it was April and I was getting ready for Calvin's challenge.
It was 30 degrees here in Hendersonville this morning. Way to cold for the south! Back on the trainer I guess it is, maybe after a few months of hibernation that is! :)

I am really hoping that with some decent planning and notice that more of us can get together for some of the bigger rides next year! Will have to start a thread on that in a month or so when all the dates are known for everything.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'd be curious to see you data from the ride if you've uploaded it to a website such as strava or garmin connect. I see a lot of 165HR in the video which for myself would be quite the solid effort for 4 hrs. I'm curious as to what your estimated Max HR is and what % of effort 165 actually is. My max HR is 185 and I avg about 165 for most my 50k ultra running races which take me about 4hrs to finish but those courses have extreme climbing and descending so my HR is not a steady 165 like yours is. I've never raced or really ridden anything totally flat so I'm a little lost on what to expect myself when I do find myself on a totally flat race for a long period of time. I tend to be a bit lazy on the roads vs dirt and find it hard to "TRY" unless I've got motivation like someone to chase.

LarryOz

Rojo: For my Century attempt:
Here is my Garmin data: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/925341870
Here is the Strava data: https://www.strava.com/activities/411212005
The Strava data is derived from the Garmin, but I like the Strava app better because it lets you select any "segment" of the ride below and gives you the averages. Garmin does not do that.

In August I also did a Century at a local "track". It is a 1/3 loop, bad asphalt. It was an old Nascar track, pretty rough - but I was able to ride significantly faster on it (with slightly more power) than I did on the road attempt.
https://www.strava.com/activities/369589798

Both of these rides I had an average HR of about 165. But on the track ride you could see it started out at around 155 and steadily increased to 167 or so. I had some really high heart rate episodes as well. I had to wear a monitor for 2 weeks to prove it was really happening. It really was! It has gone as high as 230. Doctors said not really an issue. But my "real" max heart rate excluding when it just "jumps" up there is about 190.
Anyway - on my Century ride last week, my heart rate pretty much jumped up to 160 really quickly and then stayed pretty close to 165 most of the time.
I think my fitness was just better during my track Century so my power was a bit higher on the

As far as the power goes - I am not really sure the Garmin Vectors are very accurate. I still find it hard to believe that I can go 25mph on about 200 watts.
(Before I had the Vendetta I had a Silvio for about 3 months. I ran all kinds of power tests on the Silvio and it 350 watts to go 24.7 mph.)

On the "Nascar" track it is over 26 mph on 200 watts.
Heck - I even rode a 1 hour TT at the Northbrook velodrome - again average power around 200, but speed over 28 mph!
The track is much smoother - but it just seems like the power should have be more.
I know I worked harder, as my average HR was 170 and maxed out at 184 for the 1 hour, but the power was still around 200!
https://www.strava.com/activities/354774841/analysis

I'm not sure what to say about how to just stay motivated on such a flat course that requires continuous output all the time. I have been training for that on my local track and on my trainer, by just doing a continuous 4 hour effort at least once a week. It does help having a power meter to looking at while riding. I tend to ride in 25 miles (or 1 hour) laps on my Garmin and try and keep the average for the lap where I want it. If you are a loop race, I guess you always have someone to chase since you are going around the loop after them (assuming it is small enough).

I'll be happy to trade more data and do comps with you. Would love to see some of your Vendetta power, speed and HR data also on some steady state rides. If you like, you can email me at: larryoslund@gmail.com

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I too prefer Strava's options over connect and I went ahead a followed you(jason Perez) and I'll pick through your data and see if I think anything will help. Your welcome to follow me but you'll find my data quite a bit less consistent as I don't train for anything 95% of the time and choose to just ride on my whims. I also don't use a cadence or power meter and just take minor notes on my HR from time to time. A friend of mine just pointed out a 24hr mtb race coming up next weekend so I may go do that if it looks interesting but again it's not one bit flat so overall consistency and just trying to stay awake will be all I'm looking for.