unclear on the chainstay extension

counterpoint

I have a Silvio 2.0 on order (shipping middle of November, I'm now told) which I ordered stock.
Searching the forum I didn't find good guidance regarding the chainstay extension.
Given my height (5'9) it sounded like I didn't need one.

Are there benefits for installing one for someone my height?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
well here is one opinion

You know how opinions go, but heck yes there are some advantages to the extension. First it flattens the handle bars much like the vendetta. It just looks better that way. I don't think it's coincidence that the Cruzbike website uses a Silvio with an extension to showcase the bike. The extension will allow a perfect location for an electronic shifter. It will raise your feet higher giving you a more aero profile. On the downside it adds a little weight (100mm= 5.3 ounces). Two, higher feet makes it harder to learn to ride if you are not already an experienced high racer rider. Opinion only and I'm sticking to it, YMMV.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
As you can do it after the

As you can do it after the fact and as long as they don't run out of the extensions, start without and then see how you feel about it.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
My take on it

I always assumed that people of our stature did not need the extension, and for all intents and purposes, we don't. However, installing it does a couple things:
  1. It raises the crankset and in turn, raises the feet. The turbulent air caused by pedaling will always be a factor on an un-faired bike, but in bringing the feet closer in line with the bottom of the seat pan, aerodynamics are improved.
  2. The extension lowers the handlebar which may create an improved road view by keeping the eyes above the flat part of the handlebar. I ride a 1.0 and the handlebar and brake hoods "frame" by view.
Keep in mind that lowering the bar closes the cockpit and sitting up on the bike may be impeded. Also, it may take some adjustment to fine-tune the balance of reach, comfort and and elimination of leg-to-bar contact. It can be done, but with the decreased cockpit size, adjustability may be reduced. I recommend trying the Silvio as designed, since that will work and if you find you want to try a potentially faster position, buy an extension.

Just my 2 cents.

Ivan

Guru
You are 1 inch taller than

You are 1 inch taller than me. So your configuration would be just a tad higher handlebars than mine. Decide whether you like that or want higher handlebars and lower feet. That's your decision.

Obviously I prefer the chainstay extension but the cockpit config and aesthetics are just preferences, so go with what you like.

Jeremy S

Dude
Martin, I believe x-seam

Martin, I believe x-seam should matter more than height in terms of what the chainstay extension will do for you. We are all proportioned differently.

I'm about 5'10", 45" x-seam. I'm happy without a chainstay extension for ease of getting on/off the bike, sitting up straight while riding, and getting my feet up/down from the ground. If I added a chainstay extension, I would probably get better aerodynamics and I think a better ability to push against the seat back while pedaling.