Update on Abbott

I've been very quiet here lately because my T1d has been rampaging through my life in the past 6 weeks. I'm OK but I've been grounded from riding by my medical team until we can stabilize my BG a bit better. I'm having far too many incidents of low blood sugar to ride safely.

We are all hopeful this volatility has been caused by my getting more fit and that this fitness requires less insulin than I've been using. But we must make adjustments and rule out other potential metabolic causes before I can ride again. We're also looking into the electrolyte issues I had during my major rides this year.

I miss being on SigrD and being a contributing member here. But I want to ride for the rest of my life and I don't want that to be a 2 week run. image.jpeg

jond

Zen MBB Master
smart as well as a champion. get well soon abbott. couple of weeks is nothing and you wont lose anything fitness wise. keep us informed we are all rooting for you.

I think that is untestable. You have to stop cycling, so you will lose your fitness. Catch-22.
Fitness in this context is a body composition issue. I've lost weight and gained muscle mass. These two things shift insulin sensitivity and insulin load requirements. I have not gained any weight through this ordeal.

We've adjusted both my basal rates and insulin to carb ratios. Unfortunately endocrine adjustments have so many variables that regulating them is a nightmare. And it's compounded because I have a very broken endocrine system. I have 3 different autoimmune diseases that we know about and are testing me for two others.

The initial adjustments are working better but need to be refined.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Get well Abbott!
I pray you figure out what is going on soon and you can be back to riding.
We all seem to hit bumps in the road like this from time to time. (Me, my heart was doing this crazy thing of going up in to 230-240 bpm while riding. Spent most of the summer with 3 different Cardiologists, testing, testing, and more testing. They finally gave me a clean bill of heath and now I feel better equipped to deal with what I see)
Keep a smile on and keep on going forward as the cycling ambassador you are!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I wonder if the TTrike attachment would provide enough additionality stability to expand your riding options.

One of the reasons I bought my velo was to both extend my riding season and to allow me to ride while dealing with carpal tunnel problems and recovering from carpal tunnel and trigger finger surgery. I don't have to worry about balance and I only use my hands to steer with no signficant upper and lower arm and hand effort.

Unfortunately I bent my velo's RD right before this latest surgery and haven't been able to work on it to replace it. I'm finally recovered enough to be able to use my hand but we just had 10.5 inches of snow last night so I guess I'll just pop the V back on my Wahoo KICKR and get back to the velo when it is convenient.

I wonder if the TTrike attachment would provide enough additionality stability to expand your riding options.

One of the reasons I bought my velo was to both extend my riding season and to allow me to ride while dealing with carpal tunnel problems and recovering from carpal tunnel and trigger finger surgery. I don't have to worry about balance and I only use my hands to steer with no signficant upper and lower arm and hand effort.

Unfortunately I bent my velo's RD right before this latest surgery and haven't been able to work on it to replace it. I'm finally recovered enough to be able to use my hand but we just had 10.5 inches of snow last night so I guess I'll just pop the V back on my Wahoo KICKR and get back to the velo when it is convenient.
Eric I do think the trike attachment will help me on hillier terrain. Right now the issue is the volatility of my blood glucose. The trike attachment won't help with that.

Yay!!!!!

Get to come out of the penalty box! Medically cleared to start riding again. Of course it's pouring rain for the next 10 days. Time to break out the indoor trainer.

Next year's big goal is my first century ride at the new JDRF Amelia Island ride over Halloween.

Good job Abbott! Nice to see you guys in North Lands get out and ride, especially you! Looking for breaks in the weather south of you, not many in the forecast.
Yeah, it's raining here again. I'll ride in the rain, but want to get a ride or two on dry pavement first since it was so long since I rode.

Robert O

If you don't ride in rain in Western Washington- you don't ride. One notable advantage to the V20; with the neckrest, my head is more upright than on my RWD high racer. This means that my Giro Air Attack Shield keeps rain off of my face more effectively. Definitely noticed today!