Update on Abbott

If you don't ride in rain in Western Washington- you don't ride. One notable advantage to the V20; with the neckrest, my head is more upright than on my RWD high racer. This means that my Giro Air Attack Shield keeps rain off of my face more effectively. Definitely noticed today!
I will definitely ride in the rain, but I want to get my wheels under me a bit since I've only ridden once in the three months leading up to yesterday and that was in mid October.

Robert O

Makes perfect sense, Abbott. And on days like today, you're much wiser than I am. That was abundantly clear to me about halfway through my ride! :D

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Slowly rebuilding my fitness and mileage. SigrD and I got out a couple more times in January when the weather cooperated. I'm also getting to the gym every other day to row, swim, elliptical and stationary bike train.

Really happy with the physical progress and the broader fitness regimen.

Also registered for my big ride in 2016. I'm going to ride my first century at the end of October to raise money on behalf of the JDRF. I got into the new ride at Amelia Island in Florida. (The 600 slots filled in less than 4 hours.) Incredibly honored to be one of the riders who the national JDRF Ride to Cure website quoted.

I'm also going to help Cruzbike at this year's Seattle Bike Expo. So if you're coming to the show, stop by the booth.

Last edited:
View attachment 1916 View attachment 1917 View attachment 1918
Slowly rebuilding my fitness and mileage. SigrD and I got out a couple more times in January when the weather cooperated. I'm also getting to the gym every other day to row, swim, elliptical and stationary bike train.

Really happy with the physical progress and the broader fitness regimen.

Also registered for my big ride in 2016. I'm going to ride my first century at the end of October to raise money on behalf of the JDRF. I got into the new ride ride at Amelia Island in Florida. (The 600 slots filled in less than 4 hours.) Incredibly honored to be one of the riders who the national JDRF Ride to Cure website quoted.

I'm also going to help Cruzbike at this year's Seattle Bike Expo. So if you're coming to the show, stop by the booth.
BTW: Passed another Cruzbike twice on the Sammamish River Trail on the pretty day we had Sunday 24 JAN. Who was that masked man?

Bill K

Guru
Welcome Bill!
I see you have quite a large number of miles under your belt - glad to have you aboard a Cruzbike?
Thanks Lief!
Most of my really good miles are on a DF with Seattle Randonneurs.
My new Vendetta only has about 570 miles on it, but that is growing rapidly.

View attachment 1965 View attachment 1966
Abbott,
I read in Martin Ford's book ''Rise of the robots'' some new development that could interest you:

Thanks mzweili. I've used a Continuous Glucose Monitor for the past 8 years. It uses a coated platinum wire that I embed under my skin connected to a small transmitter that clicks to it. This then communicates to a receiver in my pocket. My insulin pump also has a receiver. The CGM measures my interstitial glucose every 5 minutes.

The technology can now be transmitted to other devices most notably the Apple Watch. There are other sampling systems in development but the concept outlined in the quote has existed for more than a decade in use.

The next major step will be closed loop systems and encapsulation systems which are both in advanced clinical trials.

Closed loop systems link pump and cgms to create a system where the cgm causes the pump to dose the patient. Some also include glucagon instead of just insulin. Right now the cgm data is meant as a continuous snapshot of how glucose levels are trending but not supposed to be used to gauge doses. (Those of us on cgms never dose based off them... Yeah right... And if you believe that...)

Encapsulation uses stem cells create new insulin producing cells outside the body. These are then placed inside of miniature 'shark cage' that is surgically placed in the patient. The cage protects the new cells from the patient's immune system and will enable the patient to produce insulin again. The cage needs to be periodically replaced.

Neither system will be a cure but both will significantly reduce the daily burden of dosage calculation and management each of us faces.

These are just two out of many advances being pursued concurrently and supported by the organization, the JDRF, that I ride to support.

mzweili

Guru
The CGM measures my interstitial glucose every 5 minutes
Abbott,
I'm pleased to see you well informed/equipped. I recently got an underskin heart rate monitor to analyse my atrial fibrilation. Science makes us bionic men :)
If you can get a hand on Martin Ford's book ''Rise of the robots'', I can only recommend it for the insight of the upcoming challenges.
Take care of your health.