Urinating on ultras

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?
If it is common, there must be a physiologic explanation. I will withold my conjecture until I see if there is anything published on this.

Reactions: joy

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Still doesn't explain why I pee 10 times more on the V vs the Mtb.
Sure it does Jason - you are just not pedaling hard enough - stop loafing with those DF's and really put the "pedal to the metal".
Hammer harder and harder until you don't have to pee any more.. :eek:
In all seriousness, I have no idea. I can't stay on a DF long enough to even have to pee so I really have no comparison.
But in long events (like 12-hour+) I seem to have to go about every hour on my Vendetta. I might just be taking in too much liquid for my excision level however and should probably experiment with using less.
I take in the same amount (about 20 oz per hour) when for instance riding or training on a sub 4hr Century ride. No peeing then!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Still doesn't explain why I pee 10 times more on the V vs the Mtb.

There are so many different reasons from pressure on the bladder; pressure on the kidneys etc. One that goes over looked is a lot of people that sit at a desk or stand all day have water pool in their legs (people that change from sit to stand all a lot of less problems). But most people don't even know it's happening. If you ride a DF the water stays down there. When you climb on a vendetta you feet are up; and the fluid will flow back up to your kidney's and be processed, and now you have too pee. You can avoid that by wearing compression socks before events to keep the excess water out of the calves.

Pretty easy to test; do a normal day of stuff; then at the time you'd ride; lay on the couch elevate your legs so they are level with your heart and see how many times you have to go to the bathroom; if it's about the same as on the bike then you can be pretty sure the water is coming from your legs.

I'm no doctor and that's an oversimplification but that's pretty much how it goes. If your a training hard it can be worse because that's going to increase the amount of fluid and swelling of your legs as well.

This is definitely part of it for me; on the Silvio I don't have the problem; on the Vendetta, I have become vary acquainted with the farm fields.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?
If it is common, there must be a physiologic explanation. I will withold my conjecture until I see if there is anything published on this.
I remember this happening when I first got a tadpole trike 10 years ago, though the body adjusted after a few rides. There are threads over on BROL on the subject at least as far back as 2006, and Google Groups going back to 2003. Nobody came up with a published study or anything. The speculation was that it was a combination of the feet-elevated position (fluid draining from the legs and feet), the lack of pressure from a DF saddle, and the increased blood flow to the kidneys. Secondary factors were caffeine and over-hydration.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I remember this happening when I first got a tadpole trike 10 years ago, though the body adjusted after a few rides. There are threads over on BROL on the subject at least as far back as 2006, and Google Groups going back to 2003. Nobody came up with a published study or anything. The speculation was that it was a combination of the feet-elevated position (fluid draining from the legs and feet), the lack of pressure from a DF saddle, and the increased blood flow to the kidneys. Secondary factors were caffeine and over-hydration.

I think that about sums it up!
Maybe CB's new slogan can be 'Cruzbike: the natural diuretic'

Last edited:

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Fun fact: the famous hormone EPO is released from the kidneys. It regulates red blood cell production by stimulating bone marrow cells. Red blood cells transport oxygen to tissues and remove carbon dioxide. Even though EPO is used for cheating in professional cycling, it is also a naturally occurring part of cyclists' adaptation to training. Cheating can lead to heart attacks, blood clots, congestive heart failure, hypertension, stroke, and pulmonary embolism because the response to EPO is unpredictable. As cyclists, we get the natural benefits of EPO without the risks. Thanks kidneys!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
There you have it! If you have to pee a lot whilst riding, then you are not working hard enough - so pedal harder, pee less.
I live in a hot climate. I also sweat a lot even in a gym,I always thought if you don't sweat it's not a workout. I tend not to pee but after suffering kidney stones , the doctor told me, "if you need to pee, pee". For me it's not worth holding it in. The pain of kidney stones is not to be snuffed at. I would rather go thru anything else again but that. The doctor said, "stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day and drink cranberry juice, it helps".

I just love being on the bike on a hot day as the ambient wind is so refreshing. You are in fact with the bike being air conditioned.

I was cycling with my brother in Córdoba last year. We decided on a long distance, the temperature was an insane 42c, no matter how much you drank it was impossible to hydrate sufficiently and I didn't want to pee. By the time we got back to the car I felt good until I got off the bike, then I thought I would have to go to hospital, being too cold is perhaps better than too hot. So that's why they have siesta's in Spain.

Some long distance marathon runners poop too. So it's an interesting idea using some tubing. I bought some nice shoes recently, the tube would have to be sufficiently aimed as not to spoil them.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
because you are relaxed and comfortable and dont have a saddle pressing on your wedding tackle bits. :)

I actually stand about 90% of the times while on the SS Mtb. You stand to climb, you stand to descend, you hover on the flats, about the only time I sit down is to drink because it's hard to stand with only one hand on the bars. SS is actually a great choice for endurance racing because you butt never gets sore.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I actually stand about 90% of the times while on the SS Mtb.

wow jason you are superbly fit. the mtb fitness is peak with a lot of full out efforts. do you not use a hydration back pack on the 24 hr mtb races????

jason sorry mate i am not sure what SS is ??????? is it single speed??????????

mtb is my first love coming out of trail and motocross bikes. ironic then whilst on a road bike a careless oncoming rider drifted in front of me. my hands were injured and that was the end of my mtb enjoyment. cannot hang onto the bars anymore in the rough stuff.

on long distance rides whilst i did get up and out of the saddle more than a road bike for power and added suspension or negotiating gnarly bits no way was i even approaching 50%. and wow all that standing is extremely taxing and tough on the legs.

unlike the motocross which was like 90% standing. then again that was 25 years ago.

been thinking about a 29er dualy with the bigger wheels giving a plusher ride and easier on the hands in comparison to my old 26 inch bikes. ( i miss the local scenic single trails a lot and have resorted to walking them irregularly.)

would that be right jason???

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
wow jason you are superbly fit. the mtb fitness is peak with a lot of full out efforts. do you not use a hydration back pack on the 24 hr mtb races????

jason sorry mate i am not sure what SS is ??????? is it single speed??????????

mtb is my first love coming out of trail and motocross bikes. ironic then whilst on a road bike a careless oncoming rider drifted in front of me. my hands were injured and that was the end of my mtb enjoyment. cannot hang onto the bars anymore in the rough stuff.

on long distance rides whilst i did get up and out of the saddle more than a road bike for power and added suspension or negotiating gnarly bits no way was i even approaching 50%. and wow all that standing is extremely taxing and tough on the legs.

unlike the motocross which was like 90% standing. then again that was 25 years ago.

been thinking about a 29er dualy with the bigger wheels giving a plusher ride and easier on the hands in comparison to my old 26 inch bikes. ( i miss the local scenic single trails a lot and have resorted to walking them irregularly.)

would that be right jason???

Quick thread jack here but yes SS means Single Speed and yes during 12-24hr mtb races it's not uncommon to exceed 90% HR when getting up the steeper climbs. The HR range on a SS mtb is massive compared to a geared mtb or even more so a road bike. Oddly enough even with to extra hard efforts on the climbs it doesn't tax you as much as you'd think due to the forced recovery zones when your gearing is too short to pedal. During timed events such as 8-12-24hrs I generally use one water bottle a lap to simplify my nutritional intake and closely monitor my hydration intake. As a prior 100 mile ultra runner my standing muscle group is trained for long sustained efforts.

There is a lot of marketing toward the 29er bikes and most of it isn't as substantial as you would like. If you did get another bike there would be no reason not to get something other then a 26er. I'm going to guess based on your missing local scenic single trails your probably not looking to attack the rock gardens and air it out over the jumps so suspension length won't be a big factor. If your looking for small bump and general vibration dampening, bigger tires with more air volume and lower pressure will make a much bigger difference then an extra 1-2" of suspension. I'd suggest a 27.5" plus tired bike that runs 3.0" tires at around 15-18 psi, only problem is right now they are rather new and generally geared toward more the enduro style of riding. If your not looking to set any KOMs a short travel full suspension fat bike would ride like glass at 5-8 psi in the tires. Lots of options surfacing in the last few years and demo bike tours are becoming much more common so look into that.

jond

Zen MBB Master
sorry bout the hijack matej. thanks for the info jason. never ridden a 29er so appreciate your expertise. been looking at fat bikes :)

definitely no real air these days but the local scenic is very technical :)

back to no.1 pee pee.

thinking about the condom catheter idea. i googled them previously ......did not want to look at u-tube.

larry is there a possible scenario where you might be left with a wet willy and aggravation over time in a race from the constant movement of the catheter and exposure to urine in the reclined position ?. i.e like nappy rash especially with a reduced hose size (catheter hose folks)

not sure i could stump up and tape willy to such a raw destiny. give me a bush, tree or cricket sight screen and bladder control...........i remember bladder control.

plus there is a tangible benefit to stepping off the bike for a minute despite the time lost. maybe not 30 frustrating times though.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
larry is there a possible scenario where you might be left with a wet willy and aggravation over time in a race from the constant movement of the catheter and exposure to urine in the reclined position ?. i.e like nappy rash especially with a reduced hose size
Never had that problem Jon, but I do also "tape" the tube below my waste, so maybe most of it drains out automatically.
I'll tell you the worst problem is getting the little bugger off since it has adhesive on it. Usually takes a good 15 minutes in the shower or tube and is slightly (ok - not so slightly) painful. Ouch!
Here is a YouTube video for you: