Using a Vendetta with an indoor trainer PROs & CONs

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I currently have a broken hand as of 3 weeks ago so I can't support my weight on my MTB right now. I'm thinking the V mounted to a trainer could get me going again in the meantime with no stress to my hand.

I don't use indoor anything so if you guys have a couple pointers before I go and start borrowing spare trains from friends that would be great.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I currently have a broken hand as of 3 weeks ago so I can't support my weight on my MTB right now. I'm thinking the V mounted to a trainer could get me going again in the meantime with no stress to my hand.

I don't use indoor anything so if you guys have a couple pointers before I go and start borrowing spare trains from friends that would be great.

Friction trainers work fine other than being a PITA to mount. Kurt Kentic's work well. Remember to put the fly wheel to the Back side of the tire not the front. It will look funny but that's the correct way.

image(158).jpg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
By friction are you referring to the tire riding on a drum of some kind vs rollers or are you referring to friction vs fluid or magnetic?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
What model skewer are you guys using? the stock one doesn't have the correct style head to fit into the cups on a trainer and normal road bike skewers are 10mm too short.

I've bought a lot of skewers hoping to find one that I could just leave on the bike and would work with the Kurt Kenetic trainer. I haven't been able to find one. I switch skewers to put it on the trainer and use the skewer that came with the trainer. Then I hand tighten it without using the cam lock, that is, I leave it in the unlocked position. When clamped into the trainer it hasn't given me any trouble.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I've bought a lot of skewers hoping to find one that I could just leave on the bike and would work with the Kurt Kenetic trainer. I haven't been able to find one. I switch skewers to put it on the trainer and use the skewer that came with the trainer. Then I hand tighten it without using the cam lock, that is, I leave it in the unlocked position. When clamped into the trainer it hasn't given me any trouble.

I use a MTB Skewer and a nut that has a hold all the way through, the skewer can stick out of the nut; that works well enough with the kurt cups.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I told my local shop what I needed and that it needed to be 175-180mm long and they said they have one. Tomorrow we will see if they do.

hamishbarker

https://www.biketrailershop.com/bob-trailer-quick-release-p-1249.html

I have a vendetta 1.5. the dropouts are thicker than the current vendettas, and getting a correct length skewer was a real pain.

I bought a 160mm size skewer for bob trailer from the bike trailer shop (US$26 see link). Then remove the bushing hardware from either end (which is for the trailer to mount to), cut off the little spigots for the bushings with a hacksaw, then filed the ends nice and round. Works great in my trainers, although the bkool trainer needed the locknut removing because the cups wouldn't screw out wide enough to take the new long vendetta skewer at first.

Major pain in the bum and would be a good thing to fix (maybe it is fixed on current vendettas?) to be able to use at least 135mm mountain bike skewers.