Using hub with quick release skewer for front->rear wheel

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Hi,

I've got a (normally) 20" front wheel that I'm trying to use as a rear wheel on a conversion. The QR skewer is much skinnier than the long bolt that comes with the conversion kit.

Is there anyway to use the wheel with a QR skewer (getting a longer one)?

Is there a way to use the conversion kit long bolt?

Thanks,
Charles

Tarmac Terrorist

Hi Charles,
Yes the

Hi Charles,

Yes the conversion bolt does work; when you remove the skewer there are rubber dust caps, remove these and you will find nuts, they are holding in the bearing cones that are on the actual axel. When you undo these you can take the axel out and replace it with the conversion kit bolt and cones.

Regards Jeff (WTF would you know about building bikes) Green

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Jeff, a lot people didn't

Jeff, a lot people didn't support your frame choice. Doesn't mean you know nothing about bikes, but does mean you are pretty courageous and briming with self confidence. You'll be applauded when you solve the frame problem for supporting your seat, of that there is no doubt. Good luck with it. Perhaps others will have suggestions, but its beyond me, I don't think its possible to do well for less effort and cost than a more appropriate second hand frame. But hey .. surprise me, balls in your court!

Tarmac Terrorist

JT, I would be happy to

JT, I would be happy to explain how I resolved the problem in another thread but basically I used an epoxy bonded lamination technique using aluminium tubing and flat bar to get a lot of strength out of lightweight materials in a compact design. It is a more elegant solution then the struts and stays I first envisaged.