V Boom Restraint

BentAero

The idea of a "boom restraint" came to me like a lot of things in life; after a mishap. While preparing for a ride, I leaned the seat against my thigh then bent down to check something on the rear wheel. *WHAM* That horrible crunching sound after the front boom pivoted to the right was my Force 22 Yaw front derailleur slamming into the edge of the seat hard enough to crack the clear coat on the pan -and completely screw-up a perfectly adjusted derailleur. Needless to say, I was NOT happy. Something had to be done to make the front end behave.

My goal was not to create a 'steering damper' as some others have done, but merely install a limit device to keep the boom from swinging all the way left or right.

Enter the Boom Restraint.

I used a piece of Delrin, turned it on a lathe into a spool shape, then drilled a hole for a 5mm bolt.
20140822_084815_zps44b60444.jpg

I then got real brave and drilled a hole in the frame to install a 5mm Riv-Nut. (Just like the ones on the underside of the Steer Tube for mounting a water bottle cage.)
20140822_101933_zpsf5005267.jpg

To install a Rivet-Nut, you'll need a tool similar to this one along with the metric adapter and inserts:
It looks a lot like a common Pop-Rivet tool, but costs 4x as much. ;)
20140822_085103_zpsaca72382.jpg

Riv-Nut installed.
20140822_102636_zps02baac31.jpg

Once the Delrin spools were installed, it was then some trial and error with different O-rings to get the correct tension. By varying the quantity, diameter, and thickness of the O-rings, you can adjust the amount of tension you like. The end result:
20140822_110259_zps182cf8b3.jpg

20140822_110357_zps33fbb239.jpg

20140822_110659_zpscbb61ab4.jpg

I put 300 miles on it last week on a 5-day tour (DALMAC) and I'm very, very pleased with the result. I can now hold the bike by the seat/headrest and move it around, lean the seat against a post at a rest-stop, easily load/unload from the back of a vehicle, etc. without the front end flopping to one side. With the O-rings I have on it, the boom will move about 45 degrees from center before stopping if I let the boom 'flop'. I never even notice the resistance when making a tight turn or U-turn.
As a bonus, there is a small steering-damper effect as well. Not much, but it is noticeable. Again, a damper was not my goal, but it does smooth the twitchyness a little.
For me, it's a keeper.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Speaking of rides

You vanish for a month and then torture us with a pop-rivotor. Eeee-gads man.

Serious that's pretty clever. Any idea how to make the o-rings hold up to UV from the sun? They are going to dry and crack at a pretty high rate. Now that you done one hole you might as well use that to create the weeping hole John just mentioned adding to the designs.

No about the those ride reports? A 5 day tour would be a good one for you to share your thoughts with us.

BentAero

O-rings?
I have ways to make

O-rings?
I have ways to make them talk!
Ummmm... I don't know. I do however have a warehouse full of them and can order more. Does that count?

44th annual ride to the bridge, [ DALMAC.org ] I think this was my 5th time. Freaky Michigan weather; in a span of three hours on Saturday I went from being completely rain-soaked and so cold my hands were shaking, to being so warm i had to peel everything off that I could and stuff it in my bag -then stop for ice cream. Go figure.

Just before crossing the 5-mile-long Mackinaw Bridge to St. Ignace Sunday morning:
20140831_104343_zps2f8abf03.jpg

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting indeed! Not

Very interesting indeed! Not unlike how people outfit the front of their Easy Racers I have seen.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Seriously - Gary (BentAero)

Seriously - Gary (BentAero) is a genius, and a bicycle mechanic extraordinaire!
So glad he only lives 8 miles from me!
I already have my order in for one of these (V Boom Restraints) and I don't even have a V yet.... but not long now.. I can almost taste it! :)

And Yes, Gary, I second Bob's suggestion: Give us a write-up on your 5 day ride - I know you've got some good stories to tell, you always do.
Did you see any other Cruzbike's while you where there? Surely you where not the only one in those thousands of riders!
Either way, I image you where the "Rock Star" with the Bronze V!

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
If the cotton reels were more

If the cotton reels were more narrow, and fewer o-rings, upped in diameter, that would still work, right? And it would work just as well on the other side of the headtube (assuming there were fittings).

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I think the other side would

I think the other side would be more likely to foul the brake and shifter cable housings I I understand your meaning...

-Eric

BentAero

John,
I agree, width and

John,

I agree, width and diameter of the spools, qty. of o-rings or other elastomer is not important as long as you attain sufficient tension. I simply guessed on what size to make the spools.

There is no reason you couldn't attach the device in front of the head tube as long as you had attachment points. That would be good for those who desire to use a water bottle on the boom.

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
IIRC, Viton has very good UV resistance, though the elastic properties aren't as good as Buna-N. They are a bit stiffer. May be worth a try.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I've only had a Vendetta 2 days and the first thing I thought after getting it out of the box was "damn this thing need some steering stops". Coming from a motorcycle racing background I'm used to bikes having stops to keep the front wheel from going past 90 degs or even less. So after looking at it all day yesterday while working I thought about using one of those gas charged shocks that are on most high end tool boxes. I didn't have any lying around so a quick test with some tape and rubber bands seem like a good starting point. Other issue is the my bike still belongs to Cruzbike so I don't think they want me just going to town on their frame with a drill. The tape and rubber bands show signs of working but the tension isn't near enough to accomplish what I wanted. So then later that day I tried riding it for the first time and damn I swear I was drunk. Only had time for about a mile then called it a day.

Now this morning I'm cruising the forum for general info because I've only got 2 months to master this bike and I find this thread. I find it comical how some engineers seem to think alike. I like the simplicity and quick adjustability of the O-rings but the agree a more durable solution should be possible. A stainless steel spring could also be a quick fix but I really like the idea of a clean looking linear shock and won't be effected by sun or weather.

I'm curious about what your idea has deviled into after a year of use.

View media item 55

ratz

So then later that day I tried riding it for the first time and damn I swear I was drunk. Only had time for about a mile then called it a day.

Now this morning I'm cruising the forum for general info because I've only got 2 months to master this bike and I find this thread.

Welcome to the forums,

While you work out a stabilizer review this thread.

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/steering-damper-stabilizer.8439/#post-31275

With a motorcycle racing background the 8 steps there will have you under a lot better control really fast and in under 2 weeks you'll likely be comfortable lying down at 20 degrees and balancing as an afterthought.

The bigger the hurry the more benefit there is in doing multiple short sessions per day to give the brain sometime to adapt. Doing 4x30 minute session seems to work faster than 1 x 2 hour session.

-Bob

1happyreader

zen/child method
I've only had a Vendetta 2 days and the first thing I thought after getting it out of the box was "damn this thing need some steering stops".
View media item 55

Rojo,
Check out http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/paris-or-bust-probably-bust.8344/

Put an appt in your calendar for today+six months.. That is the day to decide if you want to modify your just out of the box Cruzbike.

Find your inner child and explore your new toy like you never saw a two wheeled vehicle before.

Ratz's steps or the ones listed on cruzbike.com by the faq's can save you time and mishaps.

If you try and force your Vendetta to behave like a DF (diamond frame) YOU WILL FAIL !!
Of course thats where a lot of cruzbikes for sale at reduced prices come from.

bye,,,, gotta ride before the rain gets here.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Rojo,
Check out http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/paris-or-bust-probably-bust.8344/

Put an appt in your calendar for today+six months.. That is the day to decide if you want to modify your just out of the box Cruzbike.

Find your inner child and explore your new toy like you never saw a two wheeled vehicle before.

Thanks for the tips and as odd as it may sound I can balance and turn from the get go as long as I'm not pedaling. It's my foot input that needs to be smoothed and or adjusted. I'll consider an introductory thread to discribe myself and why I'm here. As much as I'd like to see where I end up in 6 months I don't know if I'll have this bike past 2 months. In 2 months I'll need to be able to do about 500 miles in 24hrs to make sure all this effort and support isn't wasted.

I fashioned another variation of the damper out of zip ties and O-rings. Made the bike so much easier to move around the shop by hand and load into my truck. Because I'm a tinkerer I'll keep looking into a gas charged piston rod setup while I keep practicing.

ratz

I fashioned another variation of the damper out of zip ties and O-rings. Made the bike so much easier to move around the shop by hand and load into my truck.
Absolute best reason for the dampener, always liked gary's solution for that.

As much as I'd like to see where I end up in 6 months I don't know if I'll have this bike past 2 months. In 2 months I'll need to be able to do about 500 miles in 24hrs to make sure all this effort and support isn't wasted.
You won't need six months. If you are strong enough to ride 500 miles on any bike, and you, silly as it seems, put 5-6 days into doing the drills we pointed you too, then there is no way you won't be able to do 500 miles on the vendetta comfortably. 24 hours; that's just a function of strength and physical power, but you knew that already I'm guessing.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
If you are strong enough to ride 500 miles on any bike, and you, silly as it seems, put 5-6 days into doing the drills we pointed you too, then there is no way you won't be able to do 500 miles on the vendetta comfortably. 24 hours; that's just a function of strength and physical power.

Just out of curiosity can someone list the number of people on this planet that have actually ridden a 500 mile 24 hour course on a Vendetta? I'm not aware of any but then I haven't tracked that sort of thing. Still my bet is at best the number isn't very far from 1. RoJo has set the bar at a world class level. I wish him the best of luck!

Last edited:

LarryOz

Just out of curiosity can someone list the number of people on this planet that have actually ridden a 500 mile 24 hour course on a Vendetta?
I think it is zero (0) as well.
Maria Parker has the UMCA 24 hour road record at 469. No men are listed at any age.
I was hoping to break 500 at Sebring this year on my Vendetta, but fell horribly short at 439. That was after having my V for about 4 1/2 months. I rode the first 12 hours in 255, but was not prepared well. The nighttime freezing temps and bad nutrition caused much difficulty. If memory serves me correctly, I had 100 minutes of time of the bike in the last 12 hours, not to mention the fall at 23:30 where I tore my front and back rotator cuff. Still it wasn't a horrible showing for my first 24 hour event on recumbent. Since Sebring, and riding 264 in the Calvin's 12-hour I have not really been concentrating on ultra long distances, but mostly on Century distance. The 500 in 24 is still on my bucket list, but I think it might be better to build up to that distance over time.
I think Kevin Gambill did 462 miles in the N24HC this year, and that was with 45 minutes of "stopping" just to have his card "punched". Horrible system really. He was the winning recumbent as I recall, and took 4th place overall. (no one broke 500 this year at that event). I know Kevin rode a recumbent, but I am not 100% sure if he rode a Vendetta.

LarryOz

Kevin was not on a Vendetta. He has one, but had not put in the time on it to be ready for the N24HC. So he rode his other recumbent.
Yes - He just replied back to me - He rode he CA2 in that event.
Either way, it looks like Maria appears to have the 24 hour Vendetta record at 469 currently!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so over the last few weeks I've been acquiring quite the collection of extension springs and I've come up with my latest version working version of the boom stabilizer/restraint. We all know the O-rings are going to break with time due to weather elements so I thought a spring of just the right tension and length could do the trick and never wear out. Plus with the right attachment hardware it could look very clean once installed. Note I'm still using the zipties for the lower attachment point and the upper jig is made to be widely adjustable because I've gone through a dozen different length springs and I'm still moving my book length every which way trying to get used to riding this thing period. Once I find the perfect ergo setup on the bike I'll make the upper jig much shorter with only an 1" of adjustment in ether direction. I just had a thought that I could possibly powdercoat the spring a color to make it blend in or stand out.

805B425E-34B3-41B8-97BD-1E0B8E346F94_zpstusz7k8v.jpg

1A0685D0-68B9-4FB8-B1BE-7DDC353EE6B8_zpstjgtybhd.jpg

E25F8E13-AE13-41D1-A626-F285FE903387_zpspznhnhpz.jpg