V has poor aerodynamics

BentAero

...when mounted crossways on the back of the car. I drove to Florida last weekend for a brief visit, and of course took the V with me. It was the first time I had put it on the rear rack. I new it would reduce fuel mileage, but wow, I wasn't expecting a 4 mpg drop!

Fuel economy aside, had a great time on the Withlacootchie Trail Friday afternoon, was able to stop and chat with Regis Hampton at his Hampton's Edge bike shop as well.

Saturday logged 45 miles on the General Van Fleet Trail in near perfect conditions (66-70 degrees F and not even a hint of breeze or clouds) which is a time-trialers dream; dead straight, and plate-glass flat. By that definition it may sound boring, but I found it just the opposite as the trail is very rural, mostly shaded, and full of wildlife. There is one section that runs for over ten miles with no road crossings. ;)
I had a doe and her two fawns casually walk across the trail in front of me, and saw two alligators sunning themselves in the water next to the trail.

Just up the street from the Polk City trailhead is the Country Angels Cafe, a down-home diner where you can get a nice lunch.

If you enlarge the first picture, look between the seat and the railing and you can see a 5'-6' gator in the water.
20141213_122905_zpsa65e29e3.jpg

Begging for a handout.
20141213_124127_zpsc447dee5.jpg

Looking north from the Bridge at about mile marker 12.5
20141213_123248_zps04d9c516.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
You got me!

Beautiful! Perfect weather, great riding, sounds like a blast. Now that's flat, I would love to ride that.

I'm dying here in Northern California, haven't seen the sun for a week. Photo's like those give me hope, thanks!

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Beautiful Vendetta and a

Beautiful Vendetta and a gorgeous place to ride. Up here in the great brown state of Washington, I am so envious.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Lived it.

Lived in Florida Great place to ride; until it's time to clean the sand out of the drive train. Use to get 1000-2000 miles less every year. Only place I have lived that waxing a chain seemed to make seen. I will say thought the idea of being chased by a gator when riding in the Deltona springs area always made me faster.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Nice report, great capture of

Nice report, great capture of just how flat it is!

Crazy to think of wildlife such as gators along the trail.

One thing Seattle does NOT have is any wildlife that could eat you at a rest stop.
We make up for it with rain, it keeps Rick out. :)