V y tapa

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well it’s been a long time in the making. Spain is a sunny space and this year is no exception. Even in the Autumn there are moments of brilliance.

So I mixed a bit of sprinting with a few stops today to take some photos.
IMG_0240.PNG

I was testing out some new prescription glasses so I didn’t want to go too crazy fast. I don’t have need for much a sight correction but sometimes I like having 20/20 vision. Lately the heat haze here has disappeared (with the rain) so it’s crystal clear. The prescription glasses work ok for the mountain bike so no problem. With the Vendetta it was difficult to see the wing mirror, something I am looking at most of the time as there isn’t much clearance on some of the roads to the edge of the verge. The problem with the glasses is the lens size… the lens would work if it was closer to the face or if it was bigger also as the V goes so fast more road dust from passing cars go underneath the glasses but apart from a few grumbles.

It was indeed a spectacular day. I knew from the start of the day it would be great. I had the whole morning all to myself and I could submerge myself in the V experience.
IMG_0244.PNG

So let’s start… Today breakfast was to be had at the well-known restaurant Encarnacion that’s on the seafront of the city Los Alcazares; it’s about a 15km ride to get down there so on the V no time at all. Mid-morning views from Encarnacion are classical; one never tires of being well treated – or even the sight of the V.

IMG_0243.PNG

The breakfast is cheap as chips but it keeps you going for the next tapa and being Spain you usually get a free tapa when you stop for a drink. Sprinting and drinking go hand and hand. So why pack up the bike with so much drink to slow down the sprint? In Murcia there are so many tomatoes that the common breakfast is toast with tomato, it’s like a little ritual, first on goes the Olive Oil, then the tomato pulp followed by a sprinkling of salt. Washed down with a coffee and an orange juice and your set for the races.

The wind direction was favourable for the ride around the Mar Menor. The Mar Menor is one of the largest and prettiest lakes in Europe. In Cartagena there are many mountains/hills so the views are astounding.
IMG_0245.PNG

Today’s Journey took me around the Mar Menor to Los Urrutias, The view of the church was taken by a little café in Los Urrutias. The wind was blowing from behind so it was getting quite hot for me. I’ve been using the Giro Air Attack helmet; it’s one of the most comfortable helmets for sure but not good for climbs or red hot weather… guess it’s me with the hot head; on a climb like today the visor goes on the helmet.

IMG_0246c.jpg

After a cold drink it was time to practice with riding and getting the bottle out from the back without falling off. It was easy to pull the camelback podium bottle out with a slight twist but then then decided to stop with the bottle on my lap, not a good idea as the water from the bottle squirted all over me as it got pressed by my arm. So after practicing putting the bottle out and in the journey continued to Los Nietos.
IMG_0241.PNG

IMG_0247.PNG

Then headed up towards El Llano – which is difficult due to the gearing on the bike but it’s possible. At the top of the hill, I looked down at the bike and realized not all the gears had been used, now that’s funny as the ride had felt as though it was sustainable. Must be the lack of weight of the empty water bottle.
IMG_0234.JPG

Going down to Beal there was a police radar trap. They looked at me by surprise, fortunately they didn’t realize that the bike was going over 30 kph! The roads are quite clear at 1pm as most of the workers leave at 2pm. The bike riding usually is in between 9:30 and 1:30 as the afternoon is busier and also the wind picks up. There were only three more villages to go through being El Algar, Los Camachos, La Aparecida and then back home to Cartagena.

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG
(This cyclist was happy to pass me but not for long)

These villages are all very rural villages except for the last which is the second biggest city in the region of Murcia.

VenRiderGuy

David, thank you for sharing your most excellent day's adventure and photos. I would equally share photos of the rain and the deep puddles of water that where I live is currently experiencing, but I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm. The toast and tomato breakfast offering seemed most delicious on my mind's taste buds. I love good tomatoes.

mzweili

Guru
David, nice write up and beautiful pictures. All to make us jealous. I was traveling around in that region in the past, as I remember its quit hilly. Lucky guy you are.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Nice shots David, thanks! Looks a lot like Southern California in the Spring, except the skis are blue instead of grey.

jond

Zen MBB Master
david great ride report.well written and wonderful pics. thanks so much for sharing a great day out. inspiring stuff.

and i have to agree those toast and tomato offerings are making me hungry. yumm0.