V2/K Frame and Conversion Kit $300 and Free Shipping

Crane Fly

V2/K frame and conversion kit has been sold.

Same frame as Sofrider with a conversion kit front end. Fork and frame set up for 26" wheels and V-brakes. I rode this bike for about 2,000 miles before replacing it with a Sofrider. Handlebar, stem, and seat components are unused (they came from the new Sofrider).

Great way to try out a Cruzbike using your components!

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 89
  • Front Dropout.jpg
    Front Dropout.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Front Triangle.jpg
    Front Triangle.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Kit.jpg
    Kit.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Hi Crane Fly,
What does your experience say is the difference between the Y2/K + Conversion compared to the Sofrider? from a riding, weight, transitions between road and sidewalk ramps, adjustability of seating positions, etc.
Thanks for your knowledge,
Ben.

Crane Fly

Ben,

The two are very similar. My Sofrider has a rigid fork (no suspension) so the ride is almost identical. The conversion kit front end is a tiny bit heavier but I didn't notice the difference. This is partly because my Sofrider is quite heavy with a kickstand, rear fender, large bag mounted on the back of the seat, and a frame pump. I simply transfered the handlebars and components from the conversion kit bike to the Sofrider so the handling feels quite similar. The seat adjustments are identical because the frames are identical.

I do really like the rear suspension on these bikes. I'm running 26" X 1.4" slick tires and so the ride is quite comfortable over chip seal and rough transitions. The conversion kit is interesting because you can adjust the fork rake and feel the handling differences with different amounts of trail.

The reason I bought the Sofrider frame set was because of the disc brake front fork. I live in the mountains and really appreciate having the disc brake - especially in wet weather. And - this was one of the last Sofrider frame sets available from Cruzbike and the price was right.....

Crane Fly

dtseng

I assume that the conversion kit can be removed and the frame can be restored to original softrider. Is the "lower" derailleur hanger included?

Last edited:

Crane Fly

dtseng,

The conversion kit is a bit of Cruzbike history. It was the first product developed and sold by Cruzbike and it allowed a mountain bike frame to be converted to a front wheel drive recumbent. The conversion kit did several things to make this possible. It widened the spacing of the front dropouts to 135mm to fit a standard rear wheel. It provided attachment points for the chain stays, and an attachment point for a rear derailleur. The conversion kit is the entire front triangle with chain stays plus the front dropouts and derailleur mount.

So - the fork that you see with my conversion kit is just a standard front fork from a mountain bike. It has a standard 100mm spacing, and no way to mount chain stays and rear derailleur. The front fork by itself won't allow you to mount a rear wheel. If you removed the conversion kit brackets, you wouldn't have any way to have a front wheel drive design. If you want a Sofrider, you'll need to buy the Sofrider front end to add to the V2/K frame.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks!
Crane Fly

dtseng

Thanks, now I understand. How about I get a steel forks and widen the opening to 132.5 mm, would that work? It's kind of strange to me, the frame is made by Cruzbike, why don't they just provide the proper front forks.

Crane Fly

dtseng,

You would still need a way to attach the chain stays and rear derailleur.

The conversion kit came first to be used with various mountain bike frames. Then Cruzbike offered it with the Sofrider frame as an intermediate step. It was easier and produced a better bike than trying to use some other mountain bike frames. But - if you want an actual Sofrider, you would need to buy the complete Sofrider bike. This frame and conversion kit rides and handles very much like a Sofrider but has the added complexity of the conversion kit and backwards fork.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
dtseng,

I've seen several of your thoughts on the forum lately, welcome to Cruzbike. Take the plunge, you will be glad you did.

This would be an amazingly inexpensive way to get into Cruzbiking. Basically this is the same as getting a virtually new frame set for a Sofrider. You supply mountain bike components from a donor mountain bike (basically everything except the frame - that is wheels, tires, brakes, brake levers, deraillers, shifters, cables, and handlebar grips). Pick one up at a bicycle coop or garage sale if you don't already have extra bikes/parts laying around :p and get the Coop to help you build it if you are not confident moving over the parts or need tools. That is what I did and it was a great experience.).

Then for half the price of the Sofriders that are currently for sale you have a purpose designed Cruzbike Sofrider. Then use the great instructions for initial setup and learning how to ride and away you go - riding in comfort and joy. :cruzbike:

Cheers,
Ben.
(If someone knows where the instructions are quicker than I do please post.)

Crane Fly

Ben,

That is exactly what I did when I bought the conversion kit and the V2/K frame. I had an old mountain bike in the garage that had belonged to my son but was not being used. I transferred all the components over to build up the conversion kit. It worked great! This was a great way to try out the Cruzbike concept for much less money than buying a complete bike.

I liked the concept so much that I bought a used Silvio 1.0 and then the new Sofrider. I just finished building up my new S40 frame to replace the Silvio 1.0. These are great bikes!

Thanks,
Crane Fly

dtseng

I would like to know more about the head tube: is the steerer tube 1" or 1 1/8; threaded or thread less.

Get the right kind of steel forks, open it up to 132.5mm. Weld a piece of steel on each side for attaching the chain stay. Buy a derailleur hanger, once the boom length is adjusted, drill holes to fix it to the right side of the forks.
2017-08-29 001.jpg

Last edited:

Crane Fly

Dtseng,

The head tube fits a 1-1/8" threadless head tube. You could certainly modify a standard fork as you are describing. I considered doing this before buying a Sofrider frame. What you are proposing would work. If you are considering this, I would suggest that you ride the bike using the conversion kit first to see exactly how you would want to set up the new fork.

Thanks!
Crane Fly

Crane Fly

V2/K frame and conversion kit for sale for $350. Buyer pays shipping from zip code 59901.

Same frame as Sofrider with a conversion kit front end. Fork and frame set up for 26" wheels and V-brakes. I rode this bike for about 2,000 miles before replacing it with a Sofrider. Handlebar, stem, and seat components are unused (they came from the new Sofrider).

Great way to try out a Cruzbike using your components!

V2/K frame and Conversion Kit now for sale for $350 with Free Shipping to anywhere in the continental United States! This is the perfect opportunity to try out the Cruzbike concept with your components!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Hi Crane Fly,
Curiousity getting the best of me. Do you have a smaller shock fitted to the V2K? It seems to have a smaller gap between seat post and the suspension attachment point than I recall seeing on Sofriders.