V20 Accessories

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Lights - talk to me about lights...

Here's my front light goto; and the one we used on RAAM (I'm night blind) worth every penny.
We burned one out in the arizona desert. JP was doing a climb it was 110F and no wind.
Repaired and returned no questions asked. Cost of mailing it there. was my expense

https://www.action-led-lights.com/c.../2016-gemini-duo-light-set?variant=9016199109
https://www.action-led-lights.com/c...ts/gloworm-hi-capacity-3400mah-2-cell-battery

Meanwhile the old Designshine thread will give you an idea of what's possible. They are out of production for now; but they set the standard you should be aiming for in daytime light IMHO.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/shine-on-you-crazy-diamond.8461/

Last edited:

Bill K

Guru
Lights - talk to me about lights...

I have a nightrider 750 that I used for years on my CA2, I cannot seem to get enough light from it on the V. I’m assuming it’s the seat angle/vision and having to point the light higher that is causing this. I’m using the origin 8 stub mounted to the tab so it’s out front but my lighted vision is very limited. Tried it on the handlebar but got too much reflection from my leg, riding in The dark ain’t fun...I typically ride two evenings a week during the winter so need to figure this out.

I am a big fan of lights with a focused beam, but it depends on where you ride which type of headlight is better.
I use an Edelux II (powered by a dynohub) for the low beam. Good vertical cutoff so it does not blind oncoming riders. Nice wide beam so I can see the full width of the trail.
Add like @ratz I use a Gemin Duo for a high beam to light up the world.
https://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-cruzbike-today.10945/page-22#post-129960

The Edelux is mounted to the tab on the top of the bottom bracket, and the Gemini is mounted underneath the bottom bracket.
You do get some "foot flash" from a light mounted on top of the bottom bracket. Try mounting the light under the bottom bracket.

Good info on beam patterns here:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

Phantomrider

I’ve taken the plunge and now have the carbon race box mounted. A couple of questions....that race box makes allot of racket, seems I can’t get it secure enough to keep it from bouncing and making noise all the time, there are 2 points of noise..1 the box actually vibrating against the headrest and 2 everything in it bouncing around on rough roads. ...any suggestions. #2 is there a trick to the Velcro strap on the back of the moose-pack? I haven’t actially mounted it yet but did look at closely today and can’t seem to understand how that Velcro strip is supposed to fasten to the frame without rubbing the tire.

PeteClark

For the Moose pack, I looped a zip-tie around the stays, just in front of the lower brake mount. Then looped the velcro strap around the zip-tie. Keeps the strap away from the tire. See more at the Fun New Accessories thread.

Phantomrider

Bummed out

Purchased the carbon race box and have been using it for a few months now. Last week while riding with a bladder in and the top on(and yes I made sure those two little Velcro circles were stuck together) upon arriving back home there was no top. Apparently it fell off the bike somewhere along the ride, close to dark when I arrived so no point in trying to find it. Well it rained for several days after that and I mean Texas style rain where it looks like someone is dumiping it out of buckets. Nonetheless I drove the route in the rain looking and no luck.

So, has anyone else experienced this, if so how did you overcome the missing top? $285 for this box and the top bounces off on a bumpy road, that’s not a good thing.

Karl42

Bummed out
So, has anyone else experienced this, if so how did you overcome the missing top? $285 for this box and the top bounces off on a bumpy road, that’s not a good thing.

So sorry that you lost the top of your race box. I haven't ridden mine yet, but my first thought about those two little velcro circles was that they are way too flimsy. Since I'm not planning to use bottles, I will use hot glue to seal the top plate to the box.

3WHELZ

Guru
I too was concerned this may happen. I installed additional velcro on both end of the lid. However, I may rethink this approach and use Gorilla tape on the inside, since I doubt I will use it for carrying bottles. I have also installed small rubber gaskets on the three thumb screws. I did this after reading that another forum member lost one due to vibration during a ride. They do not interfere with screwing down the lid and keep the thumb screws from escaping.

nobrakes

I lost mine but luckily heard it fall. I have liberally Velcroed the top of the case and bottom of the lid which has worked pretty good. I think it was me mentioned above - I lost a thumb screw after just a few rides. Still running with 2 until I find a decent replacement set.

Karl42

Since we are talking about the Carbon Fiber Race Case, may I ask what brand and model of bladder you are using with it? I have a Camelbak with a detachable hose, and the hose doesn't fit through the hole of the race case. More precisely, the hose itself would probably fit, but the end piece of the hose is slightly too wide (not the mouth piece, but the piece at the other end of the hose that connects to the bladder). So I either will have to make the hole of the case slightly bigger, or modify the end piece of the hose.
Did you have this problem? Does any hydration system fit the race case out of the box, and if so, which make and model are you using?

Jeffrey Ritter

I’ve taken the plunge and now have the carbon race box mounted. A couple of questions....that race box makes allot of racket, seems I can’t get it secure enough to keep it from bouncing and making noise all the time, there are 2 points of noise..1 the box actually vibrating against the headrest and 2 everything in it bouncing around on rough roads. ...any suggestions. #2 is there a trick to the Velcro strap on the back of the moose-pack? I haven’t actially mounted it yet but did look at closely today and can’t seem to understand how that Velcro strip is supposed to fasten to the frame without rubbing the tire.
As to things bouncing around inside, I have put them inside a sock or small bag (like a sunglass case) and that dampens the noise considerably without much added weight.

nobrakes

I have a Camelbak and the bladder end fits through the case hole. The mouthpiece end doesn’t though.

I’m not sure of the model but it’s a 2L blue one. I can post a pic of you want.

Karl42

Here is a picture of my Camelbak / Race Case, and how the hose doesn't fit.
IMG_4729.jpg IMG_4730.jpg IMG_4731.jpg

I can probably make the end piece of the hose slightly smaller, before I start using the Dremel on the Race Case.

Last edited:

Karl42

For the Moose pack, I looped a zip-tie around the stays, just in front of the lower brake mount. Then looped the velcro strap around the zip-tie. Keeps the strap away from the tire. See more at the Fun New Accessories thread.

Could you please post a picture of your Moose pack mount? I also cannot figure out how the lower velcro is supposed to attach to the lower brake mount.

Kenneth Jessett

Interesting discussion and prompts me to ask about hydration and if most V riders opt of reservoirs - AKA bladders - than water bottles.

I know that bent riders have generally adopted the ability to reach over their shoulders to grab at bottles mounted behind the seat, but I can see that as tantamount to me heading for the nearest ditch - or worse - out into traffic.

Ken - long time road bike rider struggling to counteract the laying in bed position required to ride the V.