V20 Build - MBB newbie

nobrakes

Frame has been posted - I better get me some components ordered!

Looking at speccing a pair of hand built wheels from strada at the moment. It may be that either I take a risk on centre lock discs front and rear and get the best possible wheels for my money, or I either get a slightly heavier six bolt rear wheel which isn't quite such a nice hub, or I go back to ratz' raam spec and get a rear rim brake and centre bolt front disc brake with the nicest hubs on both. I am veering towards option 3 right now due to my risk averse nature and desire to get the lightest, nicest wheels. It's a lot of cash to spend on a wheel if it didn't fit.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Frame has been posted - I better get me some components ordered!

Looking at speccing a pair of hand built wheels from strada at the moment. It may be that either I take a risk on centre lock discs front and rear and get the best possible wheels for my money, or I either get a slightly heavier six bolt rear wheel which isn't quite such a nice hub, or I go back to ratz' raam spec and get a rear rim brake and centre bolt front disc brake with the nicest hubs on both. I am veering towards option 3 right now due to my risk averse nature and desire to get the lightest, nicest wheels. It's a lot of cash to spend on a wheel if it didn't fit.

Sorry guess we made it seem too hard:

These work:http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Centerlock-Lockring

These do not: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SM-HB20-Centerlock-Rotor-Lockring/dp/B00JXNTVHI

You can use either with most center lock hubs just check ahead of time the they are shimano compatible

nobrakes

It was a choice between DTSwiss 180 and 240 hubs. The 180 required centre lock whereas 240 can use 6 bolt. I had a think about it last night and in reality I'm splitting hairs as both are excellent hubs. I think I'm going to go back to the original plan and get 2 6 bolt wheels based on the 240 hubs. I am trying to avoid the potential need to file welds on a new frame.

I can't believe how much confusion I am managing to generate for myself :) Once I get the build done I will try to post a summary of everything I have learned on this thread with the help of all you excellent forumers so if any other clueless newbie comes along, it might save them (and you) a bundle of explanations.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
It was a choice between DTSwiss 180 and 240 hubs. The 180 required centre lock whereas 240 can use 6 bolt. I had a think about it last night and in reality I'm splitting hairs as both are excellent hubs. I think I'm going to go back to the original plan and get 2 6 bolt wheels based on the 240 hubs. I am trying to avoid the potential need to file welds on a new frame.

180's are going to be over kill any how.

I can't believe how much confusion I am managing to generate for myself :) Once I get the build done I will try to post a summary of everything I have learned on this thread with the help of all you excellent forumers so if any other clueless newbie comes along, it might save them (and you) a bundle of explanations.
I did not realise DT Swiss offered the 240s with a 6 bolt configuration could have saved me a bit of hassle buying more expensive disc's, finding the right lock rings, filing my frame. Oh well I learn something every week / day on this forum

nobrakes

I did not realise DT Swiss offered the 240s with a 6 bolt configuration could have saved me a bit of hassle buying more expensive disc's, finding the right lock rings, filing my frame. Oh well I learn something every week / day on this forum

My understanding is that there is a MTB version that uses 6 bolt. The drive wheel hub comes by default with a 10 speed freehub so you need to replace that if you're using an 11 speed cassette.

nobrakes

Can anyone comment on Pacenti Forza rims im terms of size? A bit wider than some others perhaps - will a 25c tyre on a Forza rim have enough clearance on the V? Just finalising my wheel build order. These rims have been recommended by the builder.

Cheers

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Can anyone comment on Pacenti Forza rims im terms of size? A bit wider than some others perhaps - will a 25c tyre on a Forza rim have enough clearance on the V? Just finalising my wheel build order. These rims have been recommended by the builder.

Cheers
Those are nice rims at 24mm wide, should not be a problem. I had the Pacenti SL25 mounted on the V2.x with no problems. I'm running HED Belgium 25mm wide rims with 28mm Tubeless Pro Ones, I barley have clearance in the front, and will go with a 25mm tire once these wear out. Keep in mind, my Vendetta is a 2014 V2.x...And guys please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the newer V20's have slightly more tire clearance than pre-V2o's.

Bill K

Guru
I also have HED Belgium+ 25mm rims with 700c x 28 ProOnes.
The V20 has about 2mm fork clearance on the front and a bit more on the rear wheel.

nobrakes

That's great, thanks. Hopefully get the wheel build ordered today. I have lots of boxes arriving from Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles at the moment!

nobrakes

Frameset should be arriving this week - gonna be another couple of weeks at least before my wheels are built though. I think I now have everything else necessary to do the entire build - we'll see how it goes.

nobrakes

You couldn't make it up.

Delivery arrived in UK last week. Fedex didn't tell me it had arrived.
Monday I phone them up - they insist they sent me a letter telling me of the outstanding duty. Nothing has arrived to this day.
I pay the duty - ask very specifically for an email receipt which I am assured has been sent - nothing arrives.
Phone up again on Tuesday - ask again for a receipt. Finally get one.
Tuesday 6.45 pm - email update and online tracking says the delivery will arrive by Tuesday 6pm. Genius!
Wednesday a.m. - status is set back to 'no delivery date' on online tracking system. I phone up and it hasn't even been cleared from customs.
Wedsnesday a.m. later on - online status and email update says delivery will arrive by Wednesday 6pm. It doesn't arrive because it is still sitting in customs.
Today - Online tracking says delivery by 6 pm today. Email update tells me the same thing. Then online tracking changes to say there was a delivery exception and part of the delivery is missing. I phone up and one of the boxes hasn't even left the states yet, they didn't put it on the plane. Of course nobody told me this! Why on earth would they want to let people know what is actually going on, that would mean they could organise their life accordingly!

So today my wife tells me I have received one box and I have no idea where the other one is. Online rep says it will arrive tomorrow but given it is still in the states I have 0% confidence in that particular outcome. I have never had the misfortune of relying upon such a useless tracking system. It's almost like they are putting out random messages just to keep people hanging on in hope.

nobrakes

A lot! came to a little more than 30% of the entire price. Pretty much what I expected, you get hammered importing stuff into the UK. It's not the cheapest way of getting a bike particularly with the exchange rate the way it is just now.

Of course I had a wee peek in the box while I wait for the rest to arrive - the packing is top class, really nicely protected and shipped in a very sturdy double walled box. 10/10 Cruzbike! Frame looks lovely too, can't wait to get it built up.

Bill K

Guru
You couldn't make it up.

Delivery arrived in UK last week. Fedex didn't tell me it had arrived.
Monday I phone them up - they insist they sent me a letter telling me of the outstanding duty. Nothing has arrived to this day.
I pay the duty - ask very specifically for an email receipt which I am assured has been sent - nothing arrives.
Phone up again on Tuesday - ask again for a receipt. Finally get one.
Tuesday 6.45 pm - email update and online tracking says the delivery will arrive by Tuesday 6pm. Genius!
Wednesday a.m. - status is set back to 'no delivery date' on online tracking system. I phone up and it hasn't even been cleared from customs.
Wedsnesday a.m. later on - online status and email update says delivery will arrive by Wednesday 6pm. It doesn't arrive because it is still sitting in customs.
Today - Online tracking says delivery by 6 pm today. Email update tells me the same thing. Then online tracking changes to say there was a delivery exception and part of the delivery is missing. I phone up and one of the boxes hasn't even left the states yet, they didn't put it on the plane. Of course nobody told me this! Why on earth would they want to let people know what is actually going on, that would mean they could organise their life accordingly!

So today my wife tells me I have received one box and I have no idea where the other one is. Online rep says it will arrive tomorrow but given it is still in the states I have 0% confidence in that particular outcome. I have never had the misfortune of relying upon such a useless tracking system. It's almost like they are putting out random messages just to keep people hanging on in hope.

It's all part of an evil plan to make sure no-one gets a new bike until it is cold, dark, and raining:)

nobrakes

It's all part of an evil plan to make sure no-one gets a new bike until it is cold, dark, and raining:)

It’s working... got another email last night around midnight advising delivery would be made by 6pm yesterday.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
A lot! came to a little more than 30% of the entire price. Pretty much what I expected, you get hammered importing stuff into the UK. It's not the cheapest way of getting a bike particularly with the exchange rate the way it is just now.

Of course I had a wee peek in the box while I wait for the rest to arrive - the packing is top class, really nicely protected and shipped in a very sturdy double walled box. 10/10 Cruzbike! Frame looks lovely too, can't wait to get it built up.
What is the VAT and any import Duty?