V20 full build ordered

Alan W Dolbeer

I am finally taking the plunge with the V20. Placed my deposit today with Rose City Recumbents for a full build V20 with SRAM 11 speed components, mostly from the Force 22 group. Now if I can only keep building my fitness so that I can really take advantage of the V's slippery aerodynamics. Oh to be retired so I could ride anytime I wanted.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Congratulations Alan on the purchase. The Vendetta makes for a great workout to tone and build your fitness. Force 22 Group...N I C E ! !

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Congrats Alan - A fantastic bike and choice. Just being on it will make you want to build your fitness. You will just want to ride and ride and ride! Can't wait for the pictures of the new V, and also reports of you learning to ride it!

Alan W Dolbeer

Thanks guys. The Silvio 1.5 has been my " road bike" for the past four years and is a keeper. I am sold on the MBB configuration. Most of you don't know me as I have not posted often in the past. Please permit me to share.
I have worked in field service full time for the past 8 years and may be away from my stable of bikes weeks as a time. I presently have DF "city" bikes in Memphis, TN. and Montreal, Canada, which are the cities I have worked the most often while traveling.
When home in Georgia I ride at least every other day, rain or shine. The Silver Comet Trail is only a 10 minute drive from our house. My "rain" bike is a DF with IGH, belt drive, full fender set, and disk brakes (DF bikes are for shorter rides generally due to discomfort beyond two or three hours riding time). MTB is for offroad fun because I am just a big kid at heart. Semi wet conditions platform is my Reynolds T-Bone 26/20 USS with rear fender and front splash guard. The Silvio is my most favorite road bike that I have ever owned. Really looking forward to having the Vendetta as it is a true race bike, even though I don't presently have racing ambitions. But who knows what one's life situation may allow in the future?
Cheers.

Alan W Dolbeer

Thanks Charles. You may recall I was considering a Quest early last year. Ended up buying a Montegue Boston 8 full size folding bike as I don't ride marathon rides when traveling anyway. I am keeping an eye on the Quest though as a touring platform. That is whenever life allows me enough time for a multi day tour again. My longest and most favorite tour ever was 11 days pulling a single wheel Bob Yak trailer with a Ran Stratus. However, I sold the Stratus some years ago as it was too hard to transport. Basically as long as a DF tandem.

Last edited:

Alan W Dolbeer

Rose City Recumbents called today and the full build V20 is complete and ready to ship. Robert indicated the 11speed setup worked out great. I asked for Force 22 shifters paired with a rear deraileur which would shift well with the Force 1 11/36 tooth cassette. This would give a 25 inch low gear with the 50/34 compact crankset. An SRAM X9 type 2 was used and he reported it was working great with the 11 speed setup ( even though the X9 is from a SRAM 10 speed groupo) .
My Silvio 1.5 has a 28 inch low gear which is great for most climbs but I wanted just a bit more for climbing some of the steeper "gaps" we have here in N. Georgia. Anyway, I am stoked with the news.

Last edited:

LMT

That sounds grand, with hindsight I should have gone with SRAM Force but instead went with Ultegra.

Enjoy your new ride, and even better that you are used to the MBB config.

Alan W Dolbeer

Lee,
Nothing at wrong with Ultegra. I have bikes with 9 and 10 speed Ultegra components and their function has been flawless. The new V20 will be my first experience with SRAM road components.

I'm running Shimano components on my V20. Work fine even with the extended cassette. Did replace the B screw on the RD to accommodate the 42t cog, but that's it.

Abbott,
Just curious but which drivewheel derailleur and shifter are you using? Thanks.
Sigrditha's components were cobbled together on the fly, so I'm using a mixed medley of Shimano parts.

The Left Brifter is an older 2x Ultegra. The Right Brifter is an older 105 ten spd. Both have dérailleur cabling out the sides instead of the base. New 105 50/34 compact crankset and BB. Old 105 FD. New Altus LC RD. New SRAM 10spd chain. Cassette is a new XT 11-36t with an add on Wolftooth 42t Shimano cog.

Was running an Ultegra hub, DT Swiss spoke, Mavic Open Pro rim with Gatorskins that I borrowed from my friend and now need to rebuild. I ordered a Shimano disc compatible hub for the new wheel.

Alan W Dolbeer

An interesting mix Abbott. My first high racer bent was a Bacchetta Corsa with an Ultegra 9 speed GS rear derailleur. Shimano listed max cog at 27 tooth as I recall. I managed to get it working with an XT 11-32 cassette by installing the B screw upside down ( effectively lengthening the screw). This coupled with a 28t granny I installed on the road triple crankset gave me just low enough gearing to ride the infamous Hog Pen Gap in N Georgia during the 2005 Six Gap Century. The only serious climbing C I have ever ridden on a bent. Do you know what the max cog spec is on the Altus LC RD? For some reason I don't see the Altus listed on the Shimano website.