V20 full build ordered

It's part of the MB line I believe.

Don't know what the spec is but with the $1 long B screw it works fine with 42t cog and I've got quite a lot of room left on the B.

The hodgepodge was a necessary evil to get me on the V20. Not what I wanted but it got me a working Cruzbike.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Lee,
Nothing at wrong with Ultegra. I have bikes with 9 and 10 speed Ultegra components and their function has been flawless. The new V20 will be my first experience with SRAM road components.
you will get used to double tap very quickly and its 1-1 ratio. very direct but not as flawless as shimano system. comparing sram red to durace i would go durace by a whisker but it is all personal choice. i note only one pro team this year running sram. how do shimano make an aluminium crankset so nice..... pity shimano changed the o/d on the b/b.

So a couple of interesting points turned up yesterday when I had the shop install my new wheel.

The first is that the V20 dérailleur hanger is thick. Turns out that the Altus RD isn't engaging the B Screw platform on the hangar because the hanger is too thick. The Altus cannot rotate downward and is wedged in place against the hanger. Annoying but the weird thing is that it functions in this setup. It's shifting fine into all the gears and is wedged in place.

Other point is the non-drive brake is a POS. It works for now. eBay here we go again.

New drive wheel has a Shimano XT disc compatible hub, 36 spoke DT Swiss TK540 rim and 25mm Gator Hardshell tire.

Alan W Dolbeer

I have been out for five rides now over several weeks time on the V20 and have the bike fairly well adjusted for riding position and accessories. Before buying the V20 two concerns I had were how to mount a gear bag and how to carry fluids. For carrying gear, first I tried using two small bags, one strapped to the lower stays under the seat and another riveted under the seat using the right side cage mounting holes. After a couple of rides I decided there was a better way and ordered a Fastback frame bag to give that a try.
With bag in hand I looked how I might mount it under the right side of the seat where it would be out of the wind and not on center of the bike (where it would pickup more wheel spray in wet conditions). I decided the Velcro straps had to go and cut them off, almost a shame after spending $$ on the bag. Then I drilled two more holes in the upper right side of the seat, held the bag against the bottom of the seat and marked the position of the four holes in the top of the bag. Used a hammer and round hole punch to make the holes in the bag. Finally assembled the bag to the seat using 3/16" pop rivets with re-enforcing washers on the inside. I left the stiffener in the top of the bag for strength. Today was my first ride with the Fastback bag and I am pleased with this new setup. Note: I see Cruzbike has just released a bag to fit V20 and S30 and imagine it will work very well for those wanting even more on bike gear storage space.

Concerning hydration I decided to use water bottles and wanted all cages accessible with left hand. One cage is mounted under the steering boom, one under the left side of the seat, and one is mounted behind the headrest fixed to the left headrest tube. I am very pleased with this setup and can retrieve or store bottles in all cages while riding, though the under boom cage is the easiest one to use.
I had to shorten the headrest cushion pieces by a couple of inches to mount the third cage and found the shorter cushion did not want to stay in place (actually I put the cut pieces back in the headrest to make the cushion thicker). To secure the headrest again I ran a blue shoelace through two preexisting holes in the top of the CF seat (see pic). The shoelace looks a bit funny but it is cheap and effective.

Today was my first ride using the Ventisit seat pad and it does seem more comfortable than the original two piece seat cushions. I have used the two piece setup on my Silvio 1.5 for the past four years and like it fine on that bike. I suppose the difference with the V20 is the more laid back riding position.
Finally, I have included a couple of drive train pics. The X9 "rear" derailleur (designed for 10 speed use) is working relatively well with the Force 1 11-36, 11 speed cassette. The crankset is Driveline Zele compact (50t/34t) with 165mm arms. Except for the fact that I mucked up the clearcoat on the right crankarm when the chain overshifted to the outside during my first ride, I am happy with the Zele cranks. I have since made a very slight stop bolt adjustment on the Force 22 "front" derailleur to keep the chain from being thrown to the outside. Also I used the low 34t/36t gear combination today climbing Kings Gap Road at Pine Mountain Georgia (during a short rainshower) and was able to spin up the steep grade without losing traction. This was my first V20 ride with any significant hills and the bike performed very well on climbs and descents. The engine is still acclimating and wants more power, which should come with more riding.
Cheers.

Attachments

• V20_Bag - Copy.JPG
    V20_Bag - Copy.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 48
  • V20_Bag2 - Copy.JPG
    V20_Bag2 - Copy.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 47
  • V20_Bag3_cage left - Copy.JPG
    V20_Bag3_cage left - Copy.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 49
  • V20_Bag4_cage_headrest - Copy.JPG
    V20_Bag4_cage_headrest - Copy.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 46
  • V20_headrest_secured - Copy.JPG
    V20_headrest_secured - Copy.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 44
  • V20_X9_w_11speed_cassette - Copy.JPG
    V20_X9_w_11speed_cassette - Copy.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 46
  • V20_Driveline_Zele_Crankset_165mm - Copy.JPG
    V20_Driveline_Zele_Crankset_165mm - Copy.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 48

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Very nice Allen. Stay tuned for a rig to mount to the back of the headrest that can hold 2 bottles. Cruzbike is currently testing some options.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I just love the V. I have a number of bikes, the V has its own characteristics: "No Limits" , I can always break my PB if I dare myself. It gives me a total workout. I run it with Ultegra 6800 11 speed groupset. Love the brakes and the Q Rings. It commands respect. Enjoy. I am a newbie at high speed cycling. The Ultegra groupset was a budget decision. Force 22 groupset should be just right. Perhaps I might use the force 22 groupset on the Vendetta Carbon frameset when it comes out.:cool:

Alan W Dolbeer

Ultegra has been my favorite road groupo for many years DavidCH. Nothing cheap about it IMHO. I only went with SRAM to give it a try and because I had very specific gearing that I wanted on the V20 which it seemed SRAM would be the best choice. So far I am very happy with the SRAM setup and gear range, though I occasionally still have a bad shift when my mind reverts to operating the SRAM brifter like the Shimano. But that is operator error and no fault of SRAM.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
My Shimano Ultegra setup is perfect for where I live. If I wanted to do more mountains it would be a struggle. I have only been overtaken by a lowracer M5 on the flat, but looking at his rear cassette I would have overtaken him on a hill. Where I live is mostly flat. Sure I could change the Q-Rings which will probably be the next Xmas present. At present I am using the V as a training aide. I get my heart beat in the fat burning zone (have to have a coffee for this LOL) or in the aerobic zone so I don't mind the large Q-rings.

If I was going to use the V for racing, I would change the tyres to Schwalbe One's and change the crank length to 150mm, and the Q-rings to the associated race trail. I would also sort out my hydration system. I would like a solid bottle quiver behind the headrest.

(Fortunately where I live, there is a tapas bar whenever you need one :cool:)

BentAero

20150614_090701_3_zpsaaslyc0a.jpg
I mucked up the clearcoat on the right crankarm when the chain overshifted to the outside during my first ride...
Hey! I was there when that happened!
Thanks again for the great 'tour', Alan.

Last edited:

Alan W Dolbeer

Yes you were there Gary. Come back to N GA anytime for some good road riding on nice, low traffic roads. And of course the Silver Comet Trail is great as well. It was mine and Tom's pleasure to ride with you that weekend.

Alan W Dolbeer

My longest ride to date on the V20 today, approx. 73 miles. One roadie with aero handlebars saw me behind him in his mirror when I was still a long way behind him. He immediately got onto the aero bars and took off. Well that only lasted a couple of minutes, and only because I was out for a long ride (for me) and not interested in an all out effort. He sat up in surrender and waved me past once I got really close.
But there was an all out sprint later when a large, fast dog gave chase as I was nearing the top of a hill. The V gave him the slip as well but HR felt to be near max from the effort. (-;
Took a couple of pics of the bike at my stop in Rockmart, GA. These are the first pics I have posted of the full bike. Probably won't post any more until the carbon wheelset is on the bike.

Attachments

• V20_FullSizeRender.jpg
    V20_FullSizeRender.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 40
  • V20_FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    V20_FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 37