V20 Wheel Size Question (19mm/27mm)?

BJ686

Am considering buying some wide carbon clinchers that are designed around 700/25c tires. The wheels have an inner width of 19mm and outer width of 27mm (Boyd Cycling 44s). Anybody have any thoughts on whether I would have any frame fit issues with the V20? I'm guessing not, but just wanted to double check. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, so any other thoughts are welcome. I am just looking for an upgrade over my stock type aluminum wheels, and was thinking that having 25c tires would be helpful on the sometimes rough country roads that I often ride. Thanks!

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Am considering buying some wide carbon clinchers that are designed around 700/25c tires. The wheels have an inner width of 19mm and outer width of 27mm (Boyd Cycling 44s). Anybody have any thoughts on whether I would have any frame fit issues with the V20? I'm guessing not, but just wanted to double check. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, so any other thoughts are welcome. I am just looking for an upgrade over my stock type aluminum wheels, and was thinking that having 25c tires would be helpful on the sometimes rough country roads that I often ride. Thanks!
I can fit 28c tires what are 30mm wide so I don't see any reason why 27mm wide rim would not fit. For rough roads I recommend 28 mm Schwalbe Pro One mounted tubeless. I think that 30 mm G-One Speed also would fit with wide rim but I haven't tested it yet.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy

That's my exact setup in dimension wise and there's a ton of room.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I can't answer your question but only share my experience. I run Flo 30's which I believe are 19mm inside and 25.9mm outside. I tried 28 mm schwalbe pro ones and found the tolerance resulted in miniscule clearance with the tire and ultegra brake. Not the brake pads but the arch part of the brake where it mounts to the fork. Just a teany-tiny bit of out of alignment caused friction. They work but I have no room left to spare. I had one 28mm tire that was repaired with an inside patch and it turned out that it had a very small undetectable bump. This was enough to cause friction. This took a lot of hunting before I realized what was happening. As a result I run only 23 and 26mm tires on my Vendetta and have no problems. I don't know how people run the 30's. No way will this work with my set-up.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I can't answer your question but only share my experience. I run Flo 30's which I believe are 19mm inside and 25.9mm outside. I tried 28 mm schwalbe pro ones and found the tolerance resulted in miniscule clearance with the tire and ultegra brake. Not the brake pads but the arch part of the brake where it mounts to the fork. Just a teany-tiny bit of out of alignment caused friction. They work but I have no room left to spare. I had one 28mm tire that was repaired with an inside patch and it turned out that it had a very small undetectable bump. This was enough to cause friction. This took a lot of hunting before I realized what was happening. As a result I run only 23 and 26mm tires on my Vendetta and have no problems. I don't know how people run the 30's. No way will this work with my set-up.
I have Sram Apex calipers and I can fit Crud roadracer mudguard between caliper and 28m Pro one. There are meybe 2 mm clearance but it works :)
Fork crown is main restriction for tires on my setup. 30mm would fit only without mudguard if will. So I am planning to 3D print custom mudguards for this case.

BJ686

To close the loop, ended up going with the Boyd 44 clinchers. Rode today with 25c Conti GP tires. Rode great and definitely felt faster than my Ultegra aluminum wheelset. As others advised above, absolutely no issue fitting in frame.

ry%3D400

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I have Sram Apex calipers and I can fit Crud roadracer mudguard between caliper and 28m Pro one. There are meybe 2 mm clearance but it works :)
Fork crown is main restriction for tires on my setup. 30mm would fit only without mudguard if will. So I am planning to 3D print custom mudguards for this case.

Wider rims mean that more of the tire material is used to cross the width of the rim, instead of rising 'up'.

Imagine the following. I have two inches of tire material. If my rim is two inches wide, then my tire will be stretched tightly across the rim and be basically as tall as the rim (and thus useless, but that isn't what this example is about ;) ).

Two-inch wide rim, tire looks like: __

If my rim is 1 inches wide, then only one inch worth of tire material will be used crossing the width, and the rest can be used for going up and down again.

One-inch wide rim, tire looks like: /\
(Well, it'd be rounded, but you get the drift).

Moral of the story:
If you want more air volume, are constrained in height, you use a wider rim

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Wider rims mean that more of the tire material is used to cross the width of the rim, instead of rising 'up'.

Imagine the following. I have two inches of tire material. If my rim is two inches wide, then my tire will be stretched tightly across the rim and be basically as tall as the rim (and thus useless, but that isn't what this example is about ;) ).

Two-inch wide rim, tire looks like: __

If my rim is 1 inches wide, then only one inch worth of tire material will be used crossing the width, and the rest can be used for going up and down again.

One-inch wide rim, tire looks like: /\
(Well, it'd be rounded, but you get the drift).

Moral of the story:
If you want more air volume, are constrained in height, you use a wider rim
This is simple geometry. I know it very well!!
My rims are 18 mm inside so it is narrower than Flo 30 owned by trplay. I wanted to point that if you don't have old-school super narrow rims than fork crown is not restriction for 28 mm Pro One.