Velcro Only?

Bruce B

Eric Winn discussed using only Velcro for attaching the seat to the frame during his May 2013 Vendetta build. Are there others using only Velcro to hold the carbon seat to the frame on the later generations of Vendetta and Silvio? Likes or dislikes?

jond

Zen MBB Master
Eric Winn discussed using only Velcro for attaching the seat to the frame during his May 2013 Vendetta build. Are there others using only Velcro to hold the carbon seat to the frame on the later generations of Vendetta and Silvio? Likes or dislikes?
hi bruce initally i used the locator bolts and clamps. now i use the velcro only. i have the v2. version with new one piece cf seat. whilst learning skills i found having the seat clamped more to my liking. this helped in the learning phase having the seat stable rock solid and no shearing noises emanating from the "stressed" seat . now that i have my skillset at an acceptable level i am not inadvertently "moving around" so much on the seat edges looking for balance etc . now i take advantage of being able to store innertubes in bags inside the frame. i have not noticed any issue with stability from the seat with velcro only. sometimes my velcro strip likes to raise itself off the paintwork but i just pat it down. i guess when i transport the bike i would not trust the velcro to retain the seat pan or cushion at speed on the roof of the truck. at some stage the velcro strip will need replacing if i continue to take on -off the seat not that that happens very frequently.

so handy for washing bike/storage facility access/ transport advantage slimmer profile

no so handy for longevity of velcro strip/ learning to ride phase when stressing outside edge of seat. or forgetting seat pan is on when driving at 60mph and wondering if seat is still there :)

hamishbarker

if there is so little torsion being transmitted in the frame tube, there may be scope for weight and width reductions, at least of the section above the seatstay to main tube junction, should there ever be any retooling and/or a cf frame happens one day.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Velcro only; it works for the space aliens that created it; good enough for me.

Jeremy S

Dude
I have the slightly older seat (2 piece carbon/fiberglass) and I now use the velcro only. Easier to get the seat on and off, doesn't seem to move around at all while riding, got tired of fiddling with the tightness of the bolts at the front.

BentAero

I used the Velcro without any problems until I did a five day tour last year that rained for three of it. When I got home and began to take it all apart for the major clean-up it needed, the adhesive holding the Velcro to the frame was gone. It simply wouldn't stick any more as the rain & sand killed it.
I now have the two usual bolts in the front, with another top-center in the seat back; no complaints.

Bruce B

53 miles this morning and the seat was perfect. I couldn't tell any difference compared to it being bolted down. Now I have the frame space for storage.

Just for interest I looked at the Velcro web pages and did not find any tape listed as "waterproof." Maybe when the Astronauts go into the deep?

Thanks for the comments.