Vendetta arrived work in progress

DuncanWatson

My Vendetta arrived this afternoon. As it was fully disassembled I am in the middle of a bike build. After a trip to the LBS to buy a few tools I am at this point in the build:
Vendetta Build in progress by Duncan Watson, on Flickr

The front wheel setup confused me for a bit but once I sussed out the derailleur hanger and how it all went together I felt good. Working working working. And then to follow the Rat Cruzbike how-to ride script (tm) to learn to ride.

I haven't attached the front derailleur yet, that will be next and then to figure out the cabling. I will redo the bar tape with yellow once I get it all adjusted.

BentAero

Congrats Duncan, you're gonna have a great time.

Fwiw, yellow bar tape won't stay yellow very long...

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Looks great; at your height that stem riser might not last long on that setup once you are settled in.

DuncanWatson

Indeed, once I get the headrest and seat on I can do a loose fit check. I am taking my time and going slowly through the build. I should be at the coastable stage this evening.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Duncan, you are not following Ratz's instructions fully, as there is NO rubber mallet on the floor, in the photo!!!

Once you start riding the Vendetta, you will say, "Why didn't I do this years ago, ESPECIALLY after the first hill Climb!!!!"

Last edited:

DuncanWatson

I have spent some time now and know how to attach the front derailleur, route the cable for the front derailleur and how to route the cable for the rear derailleur. I know how the seat attaches and the bottle cages. I can do the brakes. I found a rubber mallet and will put it in the next picture. I should be riding tomorrow morning after I pick up some nuts. I misplaced two for the seat.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Duncan! I missed the news that you got a V 2.0! Congrats.
Yours is more put together than mine is right now...but that shouldn't stop us.
Looks like it's time for a Vendetta meet-up.

@Abbott Smith , once you are back from Tahoe, let's carve out some time to meet up with @DuncanWatson and do a triple Vendetta ride down the Sammamish trail, or somesuch.
Cool.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Congrats Duncan. The process of the build is fun and a nice way to get acquainted with your new Vendetta.
Looks like it's time for a Vendetta meet-up.
I envy you guys, there a growing tribe Cruzbikers up in the north-west-coast, Washington Oregon area.

DuncanWatson

I got nervous setting up the drive train and cables. So I dropped it off at my lbs, I don't want to screw it up so soon. Unfortunately the schedule at the lbs means I will be sans vendetta until the 18th. I did get the boom and bars adjusted.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Congrats Duncan. Can't wait for you to get it up and running and for ride reports.
Post some new pics to!

DuncanWatson

My shop was a bit booked so I won't have my Vendetta back until the 18th. 9 days away.
Here is some of the early progress:
Bare frame by Duncan Watson, on Flickr

I didn't want to strip the housing, retrim and rewire. I didn't have any spare housing and just felt uncomfortable with it at this point. I am going to take some mechanic classes at REI because I feel like I need to know more. My goal is PBP in 2019 at 50 years old. And by Jove I will do it too.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Duncan, PBP 2019 is a noble goal and it is not too early to start planning. One of the treats of this ride is the planning and preparation it takes to get there. I'll start a PBP 2019 thread under the "community" topic of this forum for those like minded riders.

DuncanWatson

I am trying to work out on-bike gear now and will be testing it out over the next 4 years. I think I will be going with a clone of your moose pockets + bent-up aero bag (with water bottle holders), a small bag at the stem to carry snacks etc, and a norback frame bag for tools on the rear chain stays. The moose pockets would be removed for shorter faster rides. I will embrace drop bags. I already renewed my RUSA membership and will reup my SIR membership for 2016. I need to figure out how to manage the bent-up aero bag first as I want it to be my main bag and on the bike for all rides.

DuncanWatson

I am not sure I am able to carve out aluminum like that but I think I can make a frame out of bar stock and attach the frame to the black part of the origin8/cruzbike mount. I am considering making the aero bag an every day bag and adding other utility storage only if needed.

twhbent

Duncan, congrats and good luck with your Vendetta. Check out Mr. Winn's (Eric) custom mounting bracket he devised for attaching a Bachetta Brain Box to the head rest tubing.
I used his same design and it worked great(Thank you Eric). Do a search for CUSTOM MOUNT BRACKET FOR BACHETTA BRAIN BOX by Eric Winn. It is similar in concept to
that of BentAeros. Good Luck.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Just take care to monitor it since it results in sort of a cantilevered mount. The BBB is easy to load up so monitor for flex and cracks. I never had any problems with it but I only went a short season with it switching to the windshadow/quiver clone I made to go with lighter weight/load.

-Eric