Vendetta arrived work in progress

DuncanWatson

I have been considering one of those. BTW I made a commute video, it is not very good but I am getting the VIRB all setup now.

VenRiderGuy

Duncan, thanks for sharing. Boy, I hope that you can see farther forward than I thought I was seeing in your video on that dark "path". I'm not comfortable yet with traffic riding in the dark.

SamP

Guru
I just rode a mostly unpaved trail ride in the dark tonight. I'm pretty happy with my headlight. For most of it, it illuminated almost the entire trail ahead pretty evenly and bright enough to be useful. Other people had lights which lit up a small bright spot ahead and not much useful light elsewhere.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Rats - you've got a winner!
I vote this as the coolest picture of the year!
Looks like you kicked in the afterbunners!
View attachment 1408

In that picture what's up with what looks like lit up spokes or maybe seat stay? Is that reflective tape or something else? I've been looking for something simple and cool to light up my wheels when they are rolling. Sure there's the safely aspect but I thought it would look trick during my 24hr races.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
In that picture what's up with what looks like lit up spokes or maybe seat stay? Is that reflective tape or something else? I've been looking for something simple and cool to light up my wheels when they are rolling. Sure there's the safely aspect but I thought it would look trick during my 24hr races.

Those are fibre flare light (run on 2 AAA ea) The give a nice active shape to the bike when you approach traffic from angles where reflective tape would be less effective. The have solid and blinking modes. The have removable rubber strapping for mounting; although in fall I just zip strip them to the night bike and leave them mounted.

Fibre Flare Full Size Red
http://fibreflare.com/collections/fibreflare

Fibre Flare Full Size Yellow
http://fibreflare.com/collections/fibre-flare-side-light-colours

They have a nice helmet light too.
http://fibreflare.com/collections/m-v-p-helmet-light

DuncanWatson

Duncan, thanks for sharing. Boy, I hope that you can see farther forward than I thought I was seeing in your video on that dark "path". I'm not comfortable yet with traffic riding in the dark.
The river trail was foggy and so the light was being thrown directly back into the camera. I looked from a different angle by sitting up which worked well. I am considering a new location for my light to reduce that effect.

VenRiderGuy

Thanks, Duncan, for posting these comparison photos. I can see a lot of advantages with your new seat, foremost perhaps the elimination of needing the headrest. Now that you have a few miles in the new seat, what are your thoughts - headrest or no headrest.

DuncanWatson

I am still on the fence. I want to put in some longer rides before I say yay or nay. I do like the additional mounting space for lights and other stuff so I may do it just for that.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I like the looks of that Volae seat. If Cruzbike ever offered a seat like that for the Silvio, I might one day be persuaded to upgrade from my 1.5.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
headrest or no headrest
I run the same seat mod on both my Vendetta and Silvio. I have the ADEM neck rest on both bikes also, and would not have it any-other way. This is an area where many folks are different. I have weak neck muscles that require support during the rides, however I do raise my neck and head off the neck rest during situations that require my full attention and alertness - traffic, intersections, diving into corners, lane changes, etc. When I'm settled in and on long cruz's, resting my neck on the neckrest gives a very relaxed ride, and lets my neck muscle become un-contracted, then the bike becomes my therapist :D:D:D - soothing and relaxing!

DuncanWatson

I change my Vendetta setup. I removed the Terracycle bag, moved the pump to the frame and the tools/tubes into the aero bag. I also installed a water bottle cage on the boom near the handlebars and moved my light to the boom using a helmet light mount. The cygolite that I ended up with due to the helmet mount also has a removable battery core. I picked up a spare so I can avoid silly accidents with forgetfulness and charging. I did a test ride and all works much better and I will be commuting tomorrow to give it a real test.
Vixen setup 10/13 by Duncan Watson, on Flickr

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Again, nice job Duncan. It's a lot of fun tinkering and making rider improvements - heck I'm still doing it. Just got my Thor seat, hope to get it mounted this weekend with pictures. It's a full pound lighter than the HS V Comfort seat.

DuncanWatson

I plan on binding two fiberglass tent poles together and inserting the open ends in the headrest mount holes of the frame. I want to keep the bag from hitting the seat when overloaded. I will start with electrical tape to bind the poles to the bag but eventually I will sew sleeves on the aero bag for them.

mzweili

Guru
I will be installing the headrest before 2/28. I have a 40 mile ride scheduled for that day.
Duncan,
how many miles / km have you ridden without a headrest.
I'm about to install a Thor sport G seat on my Sylvio, and have not yet decided if I want / need a headrest.