Vendetta Di2 Users

Ivan

Guru
Ha haha! I will not be able

Ha haha! I will not be able to look at that saddle in the same way again. Funny it never "bothered" me maybe cos I am more recent convert from DF camps who tried various saddles (in vain) to alleviate pain in my nether regions.

Now let's see what comments and graphics you can come up with regarding the very popular Adamo saddle! Scared the heck out of me when I saw one in person the first time. Like it was going to grab hold of something precious and not let go!!

b0092300_1293242.jpg

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I've a friend who had one and

I've a friend who had one and said the Adamo was more comfortable. (It was costing him 15 watts so he got rid of it).

And you guys are wusses. That doesn't look painful.

This looks painful (and is now on sale):
perspectiva-tiburon1-630x422.jpg

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
ESSAX Saddle

I thought there was no way that saddle is for real. Is it?

I think they misspelled the name...ArseAxe seems more appropriate.

Jeremy S

Dude
I think they misspelled the

I think they misspelled the name...ArseAxe seems more appropriate.

Haha! It sure sounds real from Charles's link. I supposed one could add a shark fin to the Cruzbike seat pan?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Bringing it back to Di2

Bringing it back to Di2, so what you are saying Jeremy is that the fin would raise out of the seat pan when the button was pushed; thus creating a turbo boost button? Of course bioshift would do this any time you sandbagged your effort.

cry_smile.gif

Jeremy S

Dude
Sometimes we all need a good

Sometimes we all need a good shark fin in the arse to get us going. Bob, was this thread about Di2 or something...?

ratz

Yes it was

So yes, but the parts are just getting here. My gosh the battery is so tiny; really need a photo in a person's hand to realize how small this stuff is. They look huge in the bike photos, but they are not.

We can have a tangent on why this is the only chain you'll get me to put on the Silvio and Vendetta. These are the 11sp versions that just arrived today.

Super light, incredibly quiet; easy to clean, and super strong. The Shimano chain that comes with the kit will be headed to BROL for resale or donated to a biker in need.

Chaingang.jpg

ratz

Size is relative

The Di2 parts showed up today. The first thing that struck me was the actual size of them. When you see standalone photos or close-ups on a bike it's easy to loose track. One of the reasons I waited on the first generation was all the comments about how big everything was in the Ultegra family. Well the new versions are not nearly as big. When you see them in person they are even smaller. I was very please how close they are to the Dur-ace sizes.

SizeisRelative11.jpg
SizeisRelative1.jpg

I decided to go with the 5 port junction; not because I needed the 2 extra ports today; but the way the tech is evolving I thought it might be good to have some future proofing. Price different was nominal since I was upgrading to the internal battery.

SizeisRelative8.jpg
SizeisRelative9.jpg

the biggest piece is still the front derailleur, but not nearly a big as it use to be. This was the first time I have seen the newer one and it is noticeably more compact.

SizeisRelative7.jpg
SizeisRelative6.jpg

bikes I'd seen in person had the internal battery, this was the first time I've see the external one in person. Much smaller that I expected; I probably could have lived with it; not as big and cumbersome as I thought. (the bike I had seen in person had a custom internal battery)

SizeisRelative5.jpg
SizeisRelative10.jpg

On great thing is the small throw on the lever button; definitely not going to have to worry about leg interference.

SizeisRelative4.jpg
SizeisRelative3.jpg
SizeisRelative2.jpg

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I like it. Dang it, says he

I like it. Dang it, says he as he looks at his bike budget... Double or triple dang it after his last thought below...

I thought that chainstay hole looked really huge in the first photo but it looks better in the other two photos.

You know this would be great for a velomobile too - access to adjust the shifting is a PITA....

-Eric

ratz

Drill and Build

Ok it was time do the build out. Working off of what Steve and Buddy did I achieved a pretty nice result.

This is an 11speed Ultegra setup; but I keep my SRAM Crank Set and Rotor Q-Rings. I went with an all internal cabling setup the same as what Buddy did.

First step was to enlarge the Drain hole in the chain stay. Using a drill I enlarged the hole to accommodate the wire; pictured below is the rough cut after drilling. I then used a round file to clean up the burs and to put a slight angle to the hole; about a 60 degree tapper to make routing the wire easier.

Di2DrillnBuild11.jpg

Next at the far end I had to drill a matching entry hole. Again rough cut pictured; then cleaned up with a round file. In both cases I drilled the hole to match the cable size; and then enlarged ever so slightly with the file; to allow for routing.

Di2DrillnBuild10.jpg

For the battery insert; I used air foam plastic, from home depot. Cutting 3 pieces to support the battery and keep it in place in the boom. Nothing fancy here I just shoved it into the boom to cut to size.

Di2DrillnBuild9.jpg

Next I assembled the wiring harness that would be inside the bike.

This part took the longest as I worked out the lengths of wires that worked best for each task. My kit didn't come with all the wires I would need. I was short Qty 2, 750mm wires for the run from the brifters to Junction A, and Qty 1 350mm.

The short fall was because I bought an external battery kit off of ebay and converted it to internal. It was still cheaper that way. The External kit includes a y-cable with a battery meter that takes the place of the 750mm wires and junction A that the internal battery uses.

Key Notes:

1) Junction box B winds up by the Bottom Bracket.
2) 350 mm lenght front derailleur wire allows for the wires to be feed up the boom from the hole at the BB for assembly
3) 900 mm is longer than needed a 650mm would just work, and 750mm would be fine. 900mm makes fishing the wires, assembling and future maintenance A LOT easier; Yes there will be a lot of extra wire inside, but it seemed a good future proofing.
4) 300mm and 650mm for the battery and junction A route make separating the boom easy to do; and for my 5'9" configuration there was no slack to spare on those wires. Taller people should use longer wires there.

Di2DrillnBuild8.jpg

Insert the harness and battery into the upper boom. Fit is good.

Di2DrillnBuild7.jpg

Then insert the wires and junction box in to the lower boom. Feed the wires up from the bottom connect to junction B then slide everything together. Now is also a good time to add the grommet to protect the wires.

Di2DrillnBuild6.jpg

With the boom reassembled; hang the Chain stay from the BB. I put a wood dowel through the BB and hung the chain-stay from the dowel while I worked.

Di2DrillnBuild5.jpg

Feed the wire through the stay. This is was really hard and wasn't working I spent about an hour failing. Then I found this video. How to make and use a Di2 wire routing tool. I had all the parts to make that tool so I did and I had the wire routed in 3 minutes. Again install the grommet.

Di2DrillnBuild4.jpg

Reinstall the crank, bb and assembly the chain stay in the normal way.

Then Install the front derailleur and connect the wire. All the wiring is nice and neat.

Di2DrillnBuild3.jpg

Likewise hang the rear derailluer and plug it in.

Di2DrillnBuild2.jpg

Lastly install the brifters and connect to Junction Box A.

Mine is mounted just like Buddy's picture, with the exception that my boom is set longer. Junction A; stays by the Boom opening not the boom clamp. That was simply the best place to put it. Run 750mm wires from the brifters to the Junction Box A alone the same path as traditional shift wires. 650mm was too short 750 had just enough to spare.

Di2DrillnBuild1.jpg

• Tear down time: 1 hour
  • Cleaning bike: 3 hours (it was dirty)
  • Staring at wires and figuring out the best options: 5 hours, hopefully the wiring photo helps someone else do it much faster
  • Frame modifications: 2 hour
  • Frame and wiring assembly: 2.5 hour
  • Brifter and Brakes: 30 minutes
  • Derailleur setup: 5 minutes

Yes Derailleur setup was 5 minutes. This electric stuff is amazingly easy to tune; or rather it tunes itself for the most part. The outstanding lack of wires on the outside of the bike is just freaky. You can't really appreciate the precision motor alignment until you do and install and realize that there is so little calibration.

That's it until Christmas break. The only thing left on the V2 tunes ups; is a new seat, and the rear wheel cover. This bike should be all done by middle of January

December - February will be about retro fitting the Silvio with the Brifters recovered from this bike and making bullhorn brifters, and finishing up the Quest refurbishment (see other threads)

All and all this is a great setup, I'm very satisfied with the result, Di2 was the correct choice, I have zero buyer's remorse. Hopefully the chain-stay's strength isn't compromised by the modification; I'll ride it hard so we'll find out I suppose.

Based on the way this went, I'm sure there will be more Di2 in the future. Mrs Ratz was immediately open to upgrading her next year. None of the usual eye rolls that I get for crazy ideas. It's just that nice she immediately spotted that she'd never over shift the big ring; with the Q-rings that's a nice nice result.

On a side note; the Ultrega brakes are superb; I taken back by how great they are for rim brakes. They did weird me out; as they are the first brakes I have wired that don't use and cable ferrules at all.

(edited out the 3am typos and add some missing thoughts)

scabinetguy

Di2 install

Bob, nice install, good to see you were able to use the rubber hole grommets. I'm curious to see how it works with the Q-rings and by the way, when will your divorce be final?
regular_smile.gif
...Steve

ratz

So far the Di2 shifts the

So far the Di2 shifts the rings better than I can manually. After the holiday when the house isn't full I will drop it in the kinetic and put some virtual miles on it and report back.

Since i I followed the 3 laws, no divorce, of course promising to Di2 her Silvio in the future didn't hurt, and in the meantime she now has all the best mechanic components on her bike.

Interesting note. You can make a 6870 ultegra into 10speed. Just take an 11spd cassette remove the 16T and the spacer, then tell the dérailleur that you have only 10 stops. More future proof than pairing it with the 10Speed dérailleur. Still more to research on fitting the newer di2 to the S2 fork but that was one solution I was able to find.

ratz

For the benefit of others

For those that might consider the upgrade and only want the electronics this is the best source for parts I have found currently:

http://www.eurobikeparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=SH-UL6870Di2Kit

Use coupon code: 50offDi2

Given that I spent hours hunting around I thought this might save others time. I am not affiliated other than have purchased from them before. They also sell on ebay if you are more comfortable with that. This assumes you have the Cranks, Cassette, Chain, and Brake Calipers already that you prefer. Depending on your boom length you might need an additional cable or two but this kit has a nice cable collection.

The GS derailleur is for Gearing down to 32T; if you want lower email them and ask for the XTR Derailleur upgrade for 40T.

If you don't want to Drill your frame; there is a water bottle mount for the Internal Battery that might be cleaner to install than the large external battery

If you need help specing; I'm will to help just pm me.

Ready set, go!