Vendetta Di2 Users

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks Bob!! You're the man!

I just purchased this set as well.
Any you where right Bob - the guy replies like lightning!
Another hint for a better price:
Compare the Ebay listing with his online store.
At the time I purchased: I pointed out that the Ebay listing was less than his store (even with the coupon), and he knocked $65 off the ebay price and sent me a pay-pal invoice.
Never hurts to ask!

Pcmousley

V20 - Di2

Just built a V20 here in Hampshire UK - are there any other V owners nearby. My first recumbent and until I met Maria & Jim on the CNC Mountains to Sea ride I would have thought I would be the last person to own one, but as they say 'curiosity killed the cat'.
Used the 6800 series Ultegra DI2 53/39 and 11/32 used a five port junction box and that negates the use of the junction box (four less connections inside the boom) internal battery so installation looks real neat.
Now all I have to do is ride the thing, survived the first 6 miles this morning it's like starting all over and some, but can recognise the potential.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Red in Da' House

Phillip,

That looks great. I believe you are the first Red Di2; or the first with photographic proof (which is all that counts).
Very Smart idea using the 5 port junction to avoid the internal junction. and now the questions:

1) How long of wires Did it take to reach the front and rear derailleurs?

?2) Did you put the battery in the top or the bottom of the boom?

As a tip for the future; the Ultegra rear brake will fit in the upper TT brake mount point. That leave the triangle open for a small bag on really long trips.

Keep us posted of your adventures, I'm curious to see how that 39/32 handles the Rolling southern UK terrain.

Alan

Also in Hampshire

Hi Pcmousley.
I'm also in Hampshire - based in Southampton and working in Romsey. I've got the Version 2.0 Vendetta, bought a few months ago. No fancy Di2 though, mainly 105 but with disc brakes.

Alan

Pcmousley

Questions Answered and a new one

Ratz,

Thanks for the reply, I am surely glad to have put DI2 on this machine as it's quite a handful for the first few miles and the DI2 makes changing gear one less thing to think about, and of course once experienced there is no going back.

The battery is mounted in the lower boom at the top end, I had to trim the boom or is it the slider, the lower of the two, for leg reach, this bike as you probably all know needs building in the reverse of a conventional bike especially with DI2 all tucked away in the boom/slider, the leg length pretty much needs sorting from the off unlike the last thing to do on a conventional.

It is a bit of a fiddle putting the boom & slider together and pulling the cables gently through the bottom hole with the battery in there, but working on the assumption I haven't got to get in there again for a while. Fitted shimano grommets to the top cables used shimano internal cable binders and a length of Shimano external covering to run the RD cable down the inside of the front 'fork' if that is its name (piece that runs from crank to wheel hub). With the 5 port in this position had to add dowels to the water battle carrier, but the junction is well protected here.

Cables, with the 5 port junction just under and not far from the bars I used 2 x 400 1 x 650 1 x 1200 1 x 1400 if I did it again I would go to next length up for the 1400 as it was only just long enough allowing for the movement on the RD and then leave the excess up the boom.

Found the seat pre drilled holes for extra water bottles useless as they need seriously long packers or dowels to make them work and then could wobble around so mounted them further back.

Alan,
Good to know another V is so close we ought to get together for a NewForest ride, we are off to Lanzarotte in Mid Jan and taking the V with me where I hope to become real confident with the thing, I am looking to do LeJog In May or the London/Nice ride June both organised with Discovery Adventure, and on previous LeJogs taking as many as three saddles with me for the event hoping the V is the cure, just hoping it's as fast.

Question,

Maria described the photo of the below component as the backrest scissors, I am none the wiser anyone give me a clue on where it goes on the new V20

many thanks
phillip

Pcmousley

One last DI2 thought

This not being my first DI2 installation found that the first one set up from the programming within the set up button on the junction box, the second one would not in any way shape of form and the supposed battery charger supplied that is supposed to link with Shimanos E Tube project software just led me around in circles. So I had to purchase the SM-PCE1 to link in the system and this immediately diagnosed and sorted out the second system, as I wanted to customised the shifters, both front buttons control the downshifts and the aft buttons the up shifts, this proved to be a wise investment.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
phillip, the backrest scissors

fit inside the backrest part of the frame.
If I am not mistaken, they might more appropriately be called "headrest scissors" , because they are what hold the "headrest" tubes tight in place. They are kind of like toggle bolts for the headrest tubes. You mount them to the backrest of the frame through one of the small holes. You slide the headrest tubes down through the 2 holes in the tope, then into these scissors on each side. Tighten up the scissors with the allen nut and this holds the headrest tubes tight. I drilled a hole in my seat so I could get at the allen bolt that tighens/loosens the scissors so I do not have to pull up the entire seat to move it.
Ratz - can you confirm this for me?

Pcmousley

Scissors

Larry,
many thanks I believe I understand now where they fit and presume the 'rattle' I get from the back end when not on the headrest is because the scissors aren't in.

thank you

ratz

That's new

That's a new scissors design; I checked the manuals; they haven't been update yet. So probably best for Robert to tell us or show a photo of them installed.

Should also be noted that the new Carbon Fiber seat has pre-drilled holes for anchoring the seat to the bike at the top; this new bracket may or may not be involved in that change.

ratz

How many times do you shift?

I'll be the first to admit that di2 is pure luxury, addictive but unnecessary. But..... I am seriously looking forward to using this website to analyze if I am using my gearing correctly. http://di2stats.com/rides/view/456. Sample data reference was posted by DCRainmaker and it's full of possibility.

ratz

I have special brackets that

I have special brackets that I haven't installed. Partly for time available and partly because so far it's been working and it's a very invasive change. I will likely install them, but it's a caution thing. Currently we are running compact doubles with Q-Rings on both of the Di2 bikes; That seems to mitigate the reach problem others have seen from the cage. On the trainer the shifting has been smooth and we don't see a any of movement of the steam. I'm waiting to get some outdoor miles on the setup before we make the final adjustment. As for the over shift; that is always going to be a problem unless the deraileur is tuned just right. I have a manual SRAM setup on may Silvio and it doesn't over shift; but that is after a long patient tuning session in the truing stand to make sure the B-stop is set to prevent that but not interfere with up shifting. YAW deraileurs are nice but they are a pain to setup at the steep chain angle of the FWD.

oumed

front derailleur mount

Bob,

I have a Di2 system on the way! Here's why. I've ridden the Vendetta 2.0 twice now. Yesterday I went on a 33 mile social ride for my second ride ever and at the end I felt VERY comfortable with the bike. It was a beautiful sunny day and I wanted to keep going but decided it was smarter to head home and sort out some adjustment issues. During the ride I had a bit of an issue finding the large ring while accelerating or even holding a steady, brisk pace but that's partly due to switching from Shimano shifting to SRAM double tap levers and partly due to unfamiliarity with the Vendetta. The amount of throw needed to hit the big ring was a bit perplexing and I dropped the chain off to the right on the second attempt which was likely due to starting the shift in a small/small chain orientation, which is a "no no" anyway.

Anyhow, during your Di2 build did you need to fabricate any special bracket or brace to mount your Ultegra Di2 front ?derailleur, as others have done?

BBL

Stiffening Bracket

I have Di2 on my S2 and V2. I am running a compact chain ring (50/34) on both. I modified my S2 by grinding the adjustment slot completely out on the side closest to the chain ring. The bracket that I designed allows for enough over hang so that the front derailleur can be adjusted according to spec. The shifting is flawless and reliable. And yes, as another has correctly pointed out, the adjustment slot is 6 mm too short. Actually an 8 mm correction would be better.

Enter my V2.... Same issue... But I saw a post by mauler that showed a setup where it looked like he was shifting it in from left field. It was way out of spec. So, I figured if it was good enough for mauler is would be good enough for me, too. I am also not fond of modifying anything if there isn't a big payoff. So I set mine up to shift from left field with no modification to the adjustment slot. When the chain was new, everything worked perfectly. As the chain got some miles on it, it began to shift off of the small chain ring, while shifting from large to small chain rings. I think the chain gets more plyable in the lateral direction with a little ware. After about a couple of hundred miles on the chain, there was no way to adjust the front derailleur to prevent this from happening. So I ground out the Vendetta derailleur adjustment slot and mounted my derailleur with my bracket. Now the derailleur is adjusted within manufacturer's spec. Shifting is perfect and reliable. The problem is that, as designed, the S2 and V2 derailleur adjustment slot is too short for the compact chain ring. I believe all would be fine with a 54 chain ring. Not wanting to push the big ring, I chose to make the mod.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Guys, Any photos of the

Guys, Any photos of the ground adjustment slot, before??? and after???

A famous person who lurks on this site states that " Unless there is Photo proof, it has NOT happened!!! "

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
A famous person who lurks on

A famous person who lurks on this site states that " Unless there is Photo proof, it has NOT happened!!! "

I don't know who this famous person is, but I completely agree! :D

Gentlemen, post your photos!

(Waves starting flag around like a maniac.)

ratz

See I didn't have to load a

See I didn't have to load a photo.

The ones Steve has are the ones I have yet to install; bike shop is back in the garage now just need steady warm weather.

BBL

Fantastic Parts!

Scabinetguy ...
Your design is wonderful. Glad I didn't show my pictures. I would have been embarrassed. If it's no secret, do you have a STEP file that you are willing to share?

Buddy