vendetta evolution ideas

DuncanWatson

I do think that a more traditional hard shell seat would be a good thing for any new vendetta designs. I need that curve and lumbar support and that final curve allows for more clearance and things like seat bags.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
does that mean we can expect a Silvetta in a near future?

I'm not privy to those sorts of things these days.

It would be a logical move since it would be one less unique part needed for the bike portfolio.

On the other hand the additional rigidity is a differentiating feature...

bikette

I was wondering if making the new Vendetta 20 compatible with both 26' wheels and 28' wheels would interest a majority of Cruzbike riders.
It does interest me to start with ! My yellow Vendetta has a 26'wheel at the front( as maybe visible on the photo ) thanks to the work of my husband who has built an extra part for the brakes and I find the bike more efficient that way particularly when going uphill. Has anyone else done this too ?

Itripper

The V needs a good headrest. New models and retrofit for older ones. A good easy to adjust headrest. A good looking tailbox would be nice too.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Also, slacker head angle would result in more wheel flop and less pedal feedback (and that is actually a BAD thing).
Well, that would not be too bad if you where just going round and round on a track.
Speed is King!

PeteClark

I’m very impressed with the MBB design. It makes sense that the solid front triangle gets power from the pedals to the wheel most efficiently, but I would have guessed that a rider couldn’t get power to the pedals efficiently with such a design. Cruzbike's records, rider testimonials, and videos of the bikes flowing down the road in a straight line prove otherwise. I would order a Vendetta sight unseen, but am hesitant about the fixed seat angle. One of the things I like about DFs is that they allow you to alter your position as appropriate to the situation. I probably ride 90% of the time on the hoods with my elbows barely flexed… cruising in a pack chatting with the rider beside me, climbing a hill, sitting up on a downhill to cool off, picking my way along a crowded sidewalk, eating, etc. But when the need for speed arises, it is easy get down on the drops, bend my elbows, and get my torso near horizontal (or it was when I was younger). It would be nice to be able to sit up, or lay back, without too much complication on a recumbent. I would suggest hinging the seat back, making it spring loaded, and using a quick release to lock in a more upright, or more laid back position? You might to use carbon fiber for hinge and spring.

I would assume it would be best not to have the seat bottom move with the seat back. I built a prototype recumbent back in 1983 and struggled finding a seat bottom I liked. I eventually came up with what you see in the picture below. It may not be a good recumbent marketing idea, but it works well. There is much less weight on your sit-bones than on a DF, but having the nose of the saddle between your legs steadies the frame just as with DF.
upload_2016-1-4_19-4-18.png

VenRiderGuy

Very interesting. Sort of a "transformer".....DF when you want it, Bent when you'd like it. From the photo, I can't tell how you steer it. Is the whole bike your home-built design?

PeteClark

Yes, it was very homebuilt. Cut the top off a DF and installed a 2 1/4" tube over the head and seat tubes, new "head set" under the seat, idler chain borrowed from a tandem, etc. Steering was by two cables from the handle bars under the seat to the fork. She was fast on the flats, but slower than a DF on a climb. I moved overseas and never got around to refining the idea. The point for this thread is that I wish the seat angle had been adjustable in mid-ride.
134IMG596.jpg 134IMG601.jpg

Apollo

It would be nice to be able to sit up, or lay back, without too much complication on a recumbent. I would suggest hinging the seat back, making it spring loaded, and using a quick release to lock in a more upright, or more laid back position? You might to use carbon fiber for hinge and spring.
Someone previously on the forum already designed almost exactly what you propose, and the seat angle can be changed on-the-fly...

Thread: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/the-seat-of-the-problem-on-my-new-v20.8182/

Pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fcjrre3agrksbe3/AADm27lvtgdXZ5VQARqPg1MLa?dl=0

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Someone previously on the forum already designed almost exactly what you propose, and the seat angle can be changed on-the-fly...
Very nice!
Rick - looks like you got your winter project now:
I'm thinking little servo that you could stop at "any" location so it is "fully" adjustable through the entire range.
Let me know when it's ready for a test drive - a "field trip" might be in order. :)

Apollo

Very nice!
Rick - looks like you got your winter project now:
I'm thinking little servo that you could stop at "any" location so it is "fully" adjustable through the entire range.
Let me know when it's ready for a test drive - a "field trip" might be in order. :)
It is an amazing mod. I'd pay good money to add a device like this to my bike. Too bad this individual sold his Vendetta and no longer posts on the forum. Development has ceased, unless someone else picks up the torch.