Vendetta finally tested

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
hi abbot rethink the strava thing. it can be competitive sure but only if you partake. but it is a great social resource too and the strava cruzbike club is not a hairy chested competition but a support network where we can see each others actual rides. finally it is a simple tool for record keeping and these days i do not bother with any other eg garmin connect etc. think about it as an extension of this forum.
I gotta give Jon a plus-one on the Strava Thing. The Cruzbike club folks are very supportive bunch, whether it be racing or an afternoon leisure ride with the wife and kids for ice-cream and birthday celebration, or recovering from an injury. It's a lot of fun, like virtual riding with other Cruzbikers, sharing pictures of your ride locations, all around the world.

hi abbot rethink the strava thing. it can be competitive sure but only if you partake. but it is a great social resource too and the strava cruzbike club is not a hairy chested competition but a support network where we can see each others actual rides. finally it is a simple tool for record keeping and these days i do not bother with any other eg garmin connect etc. think about it as an extension of this forum.
OK. I've got Strava. How do I find the cruzbike crew? I'm using the Wahoo Fitness app currently and Strava isn't as intuitive to me.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

+1 to this. As a member of the cruzbike strava club, and the curator of the srr (strava recumbent riders) club I can assure you we have nothing competitive going on in our groups; just a lot of encouragement for rides well done. About the only gruff I give people is boring ride names; you want a kudos from me; ride 50miles+, or climb 1500ft+, or post a photo from your ride, or give it spectacular good name. All just good fun. I don't even look at the weekly leader boards because that's dominate by anyone doing events or communiting to work. The stats are cool but not relevant. If you can't have fun with this crowd on strava you aren't trying :)

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
+1 to this. As a member of the cruzbike strava club, and the curator of the srr (strava recumbent riders) club I can assure you we have nothing competitive going on in our groups; just a lot of encouragement for rides well done. About the only gruff I give people is boring ride names; you want a kudos from me; ride 50miles+, or climb 1500ft+, or post a photo from your ride, or give it spectacular good name. All just good fun. I don't even look at the weekly leader boards because that's dominate by anyone doing events or communiting to work. The stats are cool but not relevant. If you can't have fun with this crowd on strava you aren't trying :)
Being pretty competitive, I like that I am climbing leader and 2nd in distance in cruzbike strava club last week :)

What do they call the person who graduates at the bottom of his class from medical school?

Doctor.
If it was golf I'd be winning.

Perfect score in the climbing department, too :)

Haven't figured Strava's climbing calculations out. I can turn on or off the iphone and/or RFLKT+ altimeters and Strava will almost always give me a zero. For the same ride, (like today's 5 mile disaster) Runkeeper gave me 429 feet of climb.

Let me rephrase - I understand what Strava is doing - reducing noise. I don't understand why they don't re-evaluate the noise reduction calculations when an elevation gain over several miles = 0.

Last edited:

ratz

Let me rephrase - I understand what Strava is doing - reducing noise. I don't understand why they don't re-evaluate the noise reduction calculations when an elevation gain over several miles = 0.

Assuming you sync directly to Strava and not via another service; then Change your recording device to source elevation from GPS then they will be default use their DEM elevation model data.

If you are using a RFLKT+ on an iphone your probably better off using Wahoo Fitness app (free) versus runkeeper for cycling.

Assuming you sync directly to Strava and not via another service; then Change your recording device to source elevation from GPS then they will be default use their DEM elevation model data.

If you are using a RFLKT+ on an iphone your probably better off using Wahoo Fitness app (free) versus runkeeper for cycling.
So I'm already running my iPhone and Rflkt+ and Tikrx through Wahoo fitness. The point of this exercise was to have me join the Strava group. There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza...:confused:

I use Cyclemeter, but my data is in Runkeeper - it's complicated.

Back a couple years when I started my weight loss trip I was using Lose-It for calorie tracking. I started cycling on an old mountain bike and just used Runkeeper, which syncs with Lose-it automagically. After several months and 30+ pounds lost, I got a roadbike, rflkt, and tried the wahoo app, which can sync to Runkeeper. It failed so I switched to Strava. I setup Strava and Tapiriik to sync the Strava data to Runkeeper to sync to Lose-it. Strava also failed, so I switched to Cyclemeter, which hasn't failed yet. I still use Runkeeper directly for tracking non-cycling activities like rollerblading, but those are a lot more rare since my cycling obsession took over.

Strava now syncs with Lose-It, but the integration is poor from what I understand.

FWIW - the failures are from riding in full sun in 98 degree weather - the phone will occasionally overheat and reboot. Most apps don't recover well from that, but Cyclemeter does.

So back to the elevation... If a rise doesn't hit Strava's magic threshold number of elevation (whatever that is), it records zero because they're trying to smooth noise in the 100's of feet for riders in mountainous regions. Think about it from their perspective - a GPS reading a few feet off in the Rockies is a 1000 foot drop off of a cliff. My 10 foot rises don't compare. If you browse one of my rides, you can see in the elevation profile that Strava does see changes in elevation - they just don't use it. Today's disaster of a ride, for example, Strava shows a low of 22 feet and a high of 40 feet. I know - Larry and Rick are trying not to giggle at my climbing prowess :)

Here's the rationale from Strava:
https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20965883-Elevation-for-Your-Activity

Last edited:
So I'm already running my iPhone and Rflkt+ and Tikrx through Wahoo fitness. The point of this exercise was to have me join the Strava group. There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza...:confused:
Wahoo fitness can sync rides directly to Strava - just tell it your Strava ID and password in the sharing section.
To join the club, go to the Strava website from a browser, log in, go to the club page, and hit join.
Club page: https://www.strava.com/clubs/cruzbike

Last edited:

ratz

Yeah I somehow missed your post in the thread. I was answering the other question :)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hi Abbot - I echo Jon's comments on Strava. Great at record keeping. Just join the Cruzbike Team and enjoy the fellowship. There really is not a competitive feel at all to the Team Cruzbike part of the Strava. Just ability to see each other's rides, where we ride around our homes, pictures, stories, and most of all encouragement. You only follow who you want to follow, and only those who you allow to see you see you.