Vendetta finally tested

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
:eek:

So... No elevation for you......flatlander..... Didn't know they added the smoothing..

I would try this....

Go-go-gadget web tool.

Go to:
https://tapiriik.com

tapir synchronizes your fitness activities between Garmin Connect, RunKeeper, Strava, TrainingPeaks, SportTracks.mobi, Endomondo, RideWithGPS, TrainerRoad, Motivato, Velo Hero, Epson RUNSENSE and Dropbox (your heart rate, cadence, power, and temperature data syncs too)

Automated hourly syncing is $2 per year (that's not a typo).

Then get yourself a free account at RideWithGPS; and start uploading your rides there from Cyclemeter. RWGPS should give you accurate elevation data and at the least you'll have it for review. Then you can have tapiriik sync from RideWithGPS to Strava you can then see if the data is better; it will be purely GPS derived for data coming from RidewithGPS and perhaps Strava will give you more consistent info. I never really trust Strava Elevation data Period because their DEM lattice is out of data based on what they last published. RWGPS is much much better to the point of having corrected the elevations of popular roads from DOT survey maps.

So back in the gadget lab.... I use Tapiriik daily to keep data in: Strava, Garmin Connect, Training Peaks, RWGPS. And most importantly backing up my data to Dropbox as raw TCX files. Different tools for different things and some redundancy. With this model I can record a ride with my Garmin, iPhone on a bike or from the trainer via the iPad. Depending on what we are up to and never worry about how to get the data where it needs to go. Works well and tapiriik won't duplicate any rides it's very smart about that.

As for the weight loss thing we switched to MyFitnessPal (now owned by UnderArmor) it has a direct sync to Strava and integrates with darn near anything Like digital scales. That's really handy because you can do silly stuff like this:

Withings Wifi Scale ---> body weight --> My Fitpal ---> Strava ---> bike rider weight updated ---> watts per kg

Instant accuracy for rides upload that day... more time to ride less time to think.

So by standing on the scale half awake in the morning I've updated my weight on Strava and Training Peaks

Only problem is it works too good; I record a 20km TT route i the car last night using the garmin. If the 20 seconds it took me to pull over turn off the garmin. The route was upload to garmin connect; synced to starva; and someone gave me a kudos for the ride before I could login 1 minute later to make it private and deleted it. :eek:

:eek:

So... No elevation for you......flatlander..... Didn't know they added the smoothing..

I would try this....

Go-go-gadget web tool.

Go to:
https://tapiriik.com

tapir synchronizes your fitness activities between Garmin Connect, RunKeeper, Strava, TrainingPeaks, SportTracks.mobi, Endomondo, RideWithGPS, TrainerRoad, Motivato, Velo Hero, Epson RUNSENSE and Dropbox (your heart rate, cadence, power, and temperature data syncs too)

Automated hourly syncing is $2 per year (that's not a typo).

Then get yourself a free account at RideWithGPS; and start uploading your rides there from Cyclemeter. RWGPS should give you accurate elevation data and at the least you'll have it for review. Then you can have tapiriik sync from RideWithGPS to Strava you can then see if the data is better; it will be purely GPS derived for data coming from RidewithGPS and perhaps Strava will give you more consistent info. I never really trust Strava Elevation data Period because their DEM lattice is out of data based on what they last published. RWGPS is much much better to the point of having corrected the elevations of popular roads from DOT survey maps.

So back in the gadget lab.... I use Tapiriik daily to keep data in: Strava, Garmin Connect, Training Peaks, RWGPS. And most importantly backing up my data to Dropbox as raw TCX files. Different tools for different things and some redundancy. With this model I can record a ride with my Garmin, iPhone on a bike or from the trainer via the iPad. Depending on what we are up to and never worry about how to get the data where it needs to go. Works well and tapiriik won't duplicate any rides it's very smart about that.

As for the weight loss thing we switched to MyFitnessPal (now owned by UnderArmor) it has a direct sync to Strava and integrates with darn near anything Like digital scales. That's really handy because you can do silly stuff like this:

Withings Wifi Scale ---> body weight --> My Fitpal ---> Strava ---> bike rider weight updated ---> watts per kg

Instant accuracy for rides upload that day... more time to ride less time to think.

So by standing on the scale half awake in the morning I've updated my weight on Strava and Training Peaks

Only problem is it works too good; I record a 20km TT route i the car last night using the garmin. If the 20 seconds it took me to pull over turn off the garmin. The route was upload to garmin connect; synced to starva; and someone gave me a kudos for the ride before I could login 1 minute later to make it private and deleted it. :eek:
Yep - tapiriik is how I get it from strava to runkeeper. The actual gps elevation data is in the file from cyclemeter, which is why strava shows it in the elevation profile and runkeeper's summary shows 429 feet on today's ride. Strava just chooses to "noise reduce" the summary number down to 0 feet for most of my rides.

I have the same problem - Cyclemeter immediately uploads the ride to Strava when you hit done. Before you can log in to Strava, change the name of the ride, change which bike you used, or delete it because you hit the wrong button, kudos are flowing :)

ratz

Yep - tapiriik is how I get it from strava to runkeeper. The actual gps elevation data is in the file from cyclemeter, which is why strava shows it in the elevation profile and runkeeper's summary shows 429 feet on today's ride. Strava just chooses to "noise reduce" the summary number down to 0 feet for most of my rides.

I have the same problem - Cyclemeter immediately uploads the ride to Strava when you hit done. Before you can log in to Strava, change the name of the ride, change which bike you used, or delete it because you hit the wrong button, kudos are flowing :)

Does veloviewer get the elevation right? I don't ever do analysis in strava; it's usually TP and VELO. Starva is just the social place to be.

Does veloviewer get the elevation right? I don't ever do analysis in strava; it's usually TP and VELO. Starva is just the social place to be.
If you go into the detail, it shows the same elevation info as the elevation profile in Strava. The 3d profile and the elevation gain graph match what runkeeper is showing. The summary still shows the big null that Strava gives on its summary of elevation gain. They just don't want South Louisianians to be able to complete the climbing challenges :)

ratz

They just don't want South Louisianians to be able to complete the climbing challenges

It's a jealously fueled vendetta over the weather you have.

I bet if you ping @veloviewer about that he might be able to improve his summary statistics to fix that. Obviously the data is there and he's got.

jond

Zen MBB Master
strava does have an elevation correction tool for each ride if your altimeter is plainly wrong. click on elevation on ride page. figures as discussed re: accuracy

Hey battleaxe, Strava actually gave me more elevation credit for this evening's ride than Wahoo! It said I got in over 1700' of climbing in just over 28 miles.

Hey battleaxe, Strava actually gave me more elevation credit for this evening's ride than Wahoo! It said I got in over 1700' of climbing in just over 28 miles.
Looked back at my history - it looks like the cutoff is around 25 miles before it starts registering any elevation gain - that particular ride it gave me 34 feet. :rolleyes: Runkeeper said 1270 feet for the same ride.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
"I rode a vendetta achievement unlocked, proceed to the next level of the game"
Challenge accepted. Money have left bank acount (and left it in not nice negative numbers). My frame will be traveling from France so I hope for soon arival.
So my planned configuration is:
  • M sized V20
  • Sram Apex compact crankset shortened to 150 mm
  • Sram Apex shifters
  • Sram Apex front deraileur
  • Sram X.7 type 2.1 rear deraileur
  • Sram Apex rim brakes
  • Shimano XT 11-36 cassete
  • Shimano HG-95 chain
I can buy Shimano cassete much cheaper than Sram. I have read that widths of Sram chain is same as that of Shimano and same for cassetes so this mishmash should work without any problem.
I am not exactly sure about wheel. My first wheelset should be pretty durable and reliable. It will be made to my order and for now I am waiting for prices. I except this wheels:
  • DT Swiss 350 hubs
  • 28x Sapim Laser or CX Ray spokes
  • DT Swiss R460 tubeless rims
In case of tubeless rims I will use Schwalbe One 25 mm tubeless tyres. With clincher rims I will use Schwalbe Durano tyres.

Does this configuration make sense?

jond

Zen MBB Master
Stick with the Schwalbe One tube or tubeless;

The Duranos are two steps down. Schwable One --> Ultremo --> Durano.
yes the duranos ' ride is harsh too. long lasting but do not compare well in ride quality to the like of schwalbe one or conti 4000s. feel more like a gatorskin.

ratz

Durano to Ultremo is dramatic; done that myself. The people I know that have gone Ultremo to ONE say won't go back. My first set of ONE's will be here tomorrow;

jond

Zen MBB Master
Is it really that big difference that you can sense it? I mean Durano vs One.
yes it is very noticeable gatorskin to 4000s or durano to one. just a better feel stickier smoother tyre. there is a reason it is hard to get 25mm 4000s continental tyres and why the price is premium. but i rate the one's highly too. durano's and gatorskins are okay and long lasting but feel lifeless in comparison to the zing you get from the 4000s or ones. a vendetta deserves the best tyre and wheel you can put on her as you see fit for purpose.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
4000s to Ultremo ZX is a VAST improvement in the wet especially, as on the 4000s I would go VERY slowly around corners as soon as there was any moisture on the road, as very skitish, and also on rough corners, like 20% faster

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The 4000's are like riding on ice hoops on an ice rink. Ugh. I honestly do not know why people like those tires.

The Panaracers are very grippy - maybe a bit "slower" than the contis but I never worry about washing out.

I will have to try the ONE's - have not tried those myself.

The 4000's are like riding on ice hoops on an ice rink. Ugh. I honestly do not know why people like those tires.

The Panaracers are very grippy - maybe a bit "slower" than the contis but I never worry about washing out.

Heh - I found the opposite out the hard way.

jond

Zen MBB Master

4000s 11 new compound about 12 months ago. have to admit though when it rains i do not ride unless caught out but then i slow down with fear and no brakes :). have not looked at panaracers for a while will take another look see.. tyres are something personal i guess .