Vendetta headrest

Kenneth Jessett

Do an V users have experience with the 'Suspension Adjustable Headrest' sold by Cruzbikes?

I need a headrest higher than the headrest that comes with the bike and so looked at the accessories available and found the above item.

The issue for me is that the vertical piece of (plastic?) on this supplemental headrest looks very flimsy. It looks to me that it would not take too many knocks before it snaps off.

Anybody using it, or have any other solutions?

Thanks.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I have the http://cruzbike.com/suspension-adjustable-headrest and like it but the pad mounting is unacceptable. That didn't last for a single ride before loosening and the pad began sliding and rattling in the mount slots. I expect to fix it with some different fasteners that will get me back happy with it but Cruzbike needs to fix this before selling any more of them.

-Eric

Jeremy S

Dude
I have the http://cruzbike.com/suspension-adjustable-headrest and like it but the pad mounting is unacceptable. That didn't last for a single ride before loosening and the pad began sliding and rattling in the mount slots. I expect to fix it with some different fasteners that will get me back happy with it but Cruzbike needs to fix this before selling any more of them.

-Eric

Bummer, mine is already in the mail... Please post any details when you do a fix, Eric.

Kenneth Jessett

That's what I was worried about.

I did try to make a fix with two toilet rolls (and velcro), but I could only position them so they were at neck level and not my head. So, still working on a solution. :rolleyes:

It would have been nice if Cruzbike offered an extension of the actual risers which would then obviate the need for Rube Goldberg contraptions.

Thanks for the input, Eric. Maybe someone else has a better solution?

Ken.

Suz

The issue for me is that the vertical piece of (plastic?) on this supplemental headrest looks very flimsy. It looks to me that it would not take too many knocks before it snaps off.
Hi Kenneth, I have this and I really like it. The vertical piece is metal. It's been sturdy. The only part I have had issues with is tightening the screws to the pad. You can't tighten the screws very hard and mine has to be snugged up every few rides. I may just cement those screws in.

TimH

Hi Kenneth, I have this and I really like it. The vertical piece is metal. It's been sturdy. The only part I have had issues with is tightening the screws to the pad. You can't tighten the screws very hard and mine has to be snugged up every few rides. I may just cement those screws in.
I took off the fabric cover, peeled the foam back a little, drilled the screw holes out, and replaced the screws with machine thread bolts, nylock nuts, and washers.
Seems to be working after a couple hundred miles.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I took the default screws out (well one-- the other fell out by itself), and put socket-head button screws (round on top with a socket for a hex wrench) in from the foam side, then attached it with nuts on the back side.

Works robustly this way.

Kenneth Jessett

"It looks like it will adjust any way you want, and if they used it for RAAM I'd imagine it's pretty sturdy.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe they did use this headrest for RAAM. Two of the racers wouldn't have need it and the other two used other systems as far as I can tell. I am awaiting an email to confirm the system used. I'll let the site know if I find anything out.

Ken.

Kenneth Jessett

Suz, is it possible to add a spring washer to the screw?

Ken.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I took the default screws out (well one-- the other fell out by itself), and put socket-head button screws (round on top with a socket for a hex wrench) in from the foam side, then attached it with nuts on the back side.

Works robustly this way.
I've been planning to do this since I installed mine...just haven't gotten around to it yet. The plastic backer simply isn't strong enough to retain the screws. A spring/lock washer won't solve the problem. Bolts thru the plastic will do the trick.

Jeremy S

Dude
I don't believe they did use this headrest for RAAM. Two of the racers wouldn't have need it and the other two used other systems as far as I can tell. I am awaiting an email to confirm the system used. I'll let the site know if I find anything out.

Ken.

In another thread, @ratz said:

if you need the adjustability jump on it, you won't be disappointed. Larry gave it his aero seal of approval this week. He and Maria will race on that headrest in RAAM.​

The team rode RAAM without the Suspension Adjustable Headrest and I have returned to the mesh & foam covered inner tube over the original bars. It looks like Kevin "Maverick" chose an alternative set-up. I love these Cruzbike-posted photos from RAAM!
19243375_1295865853844090_7836708245186363337_o.jpg19441671_1298371470260195_8805755241780991306_o.jpg19452982_1298371213593554_8817778834168968821_o.jpg19466361_1298370783593597_6020283710332411396_o.jpg19466668_1298369880260354_4969854278723247156_o.jpgDCyaoEvUwAAGI6i.jpg

Jeremy S

Dude

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The team rode RAAM without the Suspension Adjustable Headrest
  1. Maria road the performance headrest on both bikes.
  2. We tried it on Larry's mid-race to address his comfort; he didn't like it late race temperament made it best to go back to what he knows. (race what you know)
  3. Jim Road old stock headrest, which he's never had issue with
  4. Kevin's back had him on a custom seat that he's more use to; recall he trains on a DF and only races on the V20.
The headrest is super sturdy the price it comes with is that it's really heavy for what it is. I have one, but don't need it's adjustability so I don't ride it; don't want the weight. If you need that level of adjustment the weight is probably a non-issue.

As for pads; Kevin's I think was an ADEM, Larry and Jim had the stock foam pad. Maria backup bike had her lumpy sock :) Maria's main bike had the prototype Ventisit headrest pad I had Bart design for me. The Ventisit got her seal of approval as she rode that bike the majority of the time. Tanya and I have been riding the Ventisit as well and it gets the thumbs up. Unfortunately, that pad won't be a product unless CB decides to carry it, no real ability to make a profit on such a small item by the time you ship it from the Netherlands.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
prototype Ventisit headrest pad I had Bart design
How did you mount it? I was thinking about replacing the pad on my suspension adjustable headrest with a Ventisit pad.

EDIT: Stoopid spell checker keeps changing Ventisit to Dentist...

-Eric

Last edited: