Vendetta rack bag

scabinetguy

I finally found a good arrangement for a bag on the Vendetta and Silvio. It's a Sunlite 1 rack bag. About 5" wide x 7" tall x 12" long. Keeps the aero in tact. Plenty of room for tubes, jackets and gloves etc. It amazes me that bag manufacturers don't include dimensions in their online specs.

BrianA

Rack bag

Presumably the bag is fitted to a rack. What rack did you use and how is the rack fitted to the bike?

1happyreader

zen/child method
Stealth value

scabinetguy,

Don't forget your bag also has a stealth fender feature that helps keep your neck dryer and happier !! LOL

later,,,bye

BentAero

I could similar ones via

I could similar ones via Google, but not same one. http://www.amazon.com/SUNLITE-BAG-SUNLT-RACKPACK-TOPLOAD/dp/B00B1360DG/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1424645680&sr=1-5&keywords=sunlite+1+rack+bag

How about some close-up pics of both the bag and the rack?

Wannabe

we need tail pack storage ... i know it is on the way....

one thing is for sure.... When Cruzbike has created that special tail bag, they will sell as many of those as they have sold bikes!!!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Steve, seems like the

Steve, seems like the cantilever forces of a couple of water bottles bouncing around on that rack over time time would bend or break it. Have you noticed any issues with it?

-Eric

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Rack Mounting.

Your great-looking rack is clamped to the head rest tubes and it looks sturdy.

If you overload your bag either with a one-time load of lead bricks
or stress it over years of use with water bottles, any welded load-bearing
tubes may fail at the welds.
This is part of what I used to do:
Test-ride racks and rack-mounted accessories to destruction on the road,
riding road bikes/motorcycles.

If you damp the road vibration between your head rest tubes and
your rack, then your rack will last you much, much longer.

Effective damping with inner tube shims between the clamp(s) and
the head rest tubes, rubber washers, rubber grommets and the like
will work wonders.

Or not, depending on how much you've over-designed your rack!

Sincerely,
Steve

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree here that not

I would agree here that not overloading the headrest tubes is important. Any accessory attached there should be intended for a few regular size water bottles and a few other items at most. The headrest is capable of it as Maria has run with a small headrest mounted holder before without issues. But I would not go attaching a lot of heavy items there for sure. If anything as placing a lot of weight way up high and behind the axle isn't the best place as far as handling goes.

Also, since the headrest is a round tube being held in by a round scissor jack - making sure there are minimal twisting forces is important.

And Wannabe - I agree.

Stay tuned.

...and as far as other carrying solutions intended to keep the weight low? Stay tuned.

:)

Robert

scabinetguy

Stress

I don't plan on carrying water bottles in this bag however it seems to be more than strong enough. I used a little thicker wall tubing and I've tried to break a prototype. I would worry more about stress on the headrest tube. The bag and rack add about a pound to the bike. It certainly could be loaded to the top with normal gear. I do wish that these manufacturers would test their products, I had to remove the internal plastic that supports the sides and cut it down so that the upper lid would match the lower bag. I used thick walled 1/2" tubing and bent it 3" on center.

BentAero

I love it.
Some close pics of

I love it.

Some close pics of how it mounts to the head rest please.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
It's using the same bracket

It's using the same bracket that Steve came up for my water bottle upgrade. (I still need to get good photos of that to post) The connection is really solid. If any lets go it's going to be the head rest tubes or the bag tube. If used for windbraker and basic supplies it should work great. Don't be strapping your work laptop on top or putting saddle bags on top and heading for the bumps.

A triangle version could give it more strength but that's just going to overload the headrest tubes..

I like.
regular_smile.gif

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
It's using the same bracket

It's using the same bracket that Steve came up for my water bottle upgrade. (I still need to get good photos of that to post) The connection is really solid. If any lets go it's going to be the head rest tubes or the bag tube. If used for windbraker and basic supplies it should work great. Don't be strapping your work laptop on top or putting saddle bags on top and heading for the bumps.

A triangle version could give it more strength but that's just going to overload the headrest tubes..

I like.
regular_smile.gif

Wannabe

can I buy that from you?.....

can I buy that from you?..... or pay you to make me one?

Thanks,
David