Vendetta seat?

Rat Rider

I observe a different seat on the v20 compared to the Silvio v1.0 (the latter being a bike I rode for a season). Can someone tell me the difference? The Silvio seat was quite uncomfortable for me.

(I apologize if this has been rehashed a thousand times. I am a newbie to the forum and did not find an answer using the search.)

Jeremy S

Dude
I believe the Silvio 1.0 had an aluminum seat integrated with the frame, with a 45 degree seat back angle.

The V20 has a longer, narrower carbon fiber seat, attached to the frame with velcro and/or bolts, with a 20 degree seat back angle, and an integrated headrest.

Reactions: joy

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Building on that; the v20 and s30 have the new carbon fiber seat versus the hybrid carbon/fiberglass. It's lighter and a fair bit more comfortable than the Vendetta 2 and Silvio 2.0/2.1. The Ventisit pads are a nice upgrade for many over the foam legacy ones. Depends on what you like. When queried I usually say go with the stock one; if that isn't enough support then Ricks' seat upgrade is a solid solution nearly factory quality installation.

Last edited:

ratz

Hey Bob, I've been trying to justify the $230 price to myself for the seat upgrade, and I can't do it based on the claimed 1 pound weight difference. I had assumed the new seat was the same shape and therefore equally comfortable. It's not?
http://cruzbike.com/carbon-fiber-seat

It is more comfortable. Exact same shape. The lack of the seam and carbon make it feel more comfortable. I did the upgrade because I cracked my other one. On the vendetta I consider it worth it. On the Silvio I think the suspension makes the old one just fine. Ricks upgrade would be more viable for an upgrade on the older silvios.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I believe the Silvio 1.0 had an aluminum seat integrated with the frame,
This is right - the Silvio 1.0 seat is part of the frame.

The weight of the rider is proportionally higher on the tailbone, glutes on the 1.0 Silvio.
The Vendetta, on the other hand, the weight is fairly well distributed from shoulder to glutes.

Many folks (self included) add some custom padding in the lumbar area for comfort and/or support on the V20/S30 seat.
Or they do what Rick did. :)

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I bought a Ventisit pad from Cruzbike for my Vendetta v2 with the 2-piece fiberglass chop strand seat with carbon fiber veneer and I find that made it noticeably more comfortable to me.

I had been thinking about upgrading to the proper carbon fiber one piece seat (and still might) but the Ventisit cushion is wonderful.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
http://www.empind.com.au/shop/item/drainage-mesh---acs-10
I REALLY like the ASC 10 matting which is the same as used in the Ventisis seat pads as $110 au ($80US) buys a 2.1 m*0.8 m * 10 mm (3/8") thick, OR $190 au ($142 us) for 2.1m*1.6m, very open strong matting, that is enough for 4 seats with 2 layers, or 2.5 seat (700*250) with 3 pads (30 mm thick) that can easily be cut and glued together in 2 to 4 layers and fitted inside the Cruzbike existing outer seat cover with Silvio embroidered onto it, to minimize the scratching, AND it allows easy addition of extra padding in the areas required.

On my Silvio V1.0 I have 3 layers on the base + the original closed cell dense foam to keep the shape, and 4 layers on the 45 degree seat back. This has made the seat very comfortable and dry in summer! The 4th layer made a difference on the last 800 m of bike track to work, that is a mass of tree root speed humps

Last edited:

hamishbarker

My Vendetta 1.5 has an aluminium seat. I was really sore at the top of my sacrum after a 40km time trial attempt the other day, and noticed that there is a bulging weld line which may have been the trouble. I've slipped a strip of closed cell foam and small rectangle of 3cm thick open cell foam inside the cruzbike cover, and that has made a big difference. I think the hard line of the weld was impacting on the bone through the original padding.

Slim's discovery of the drainage matting is a good one! It may be possible to get it even cheaper from civil engineering suppliers in your local area, as it's used behind retaining walls to ensure drainage (and therefore reduce pressure on the wall). The quantities used in drainage applications are usually many meters. Such suppliers might even be a few offcuts laying around that you could get for free.

I have a computerized knitting machine. It can knit pretty much any 1 bit (i.e. two colour - B/W) image - with a few limits on large blocks of single colour. Lots of small areas of alternating colour are better. Anyone keen for a custom design cushion cover in whatever yarn, wool, acrylic, silk/blend, etc? I guess Larry needs something to match those "billboard" wheels of his? :) Pixel size is not square, stiches are more like 1.4times wider than they are high. Stitch sizes about 2mm wide by 1.4 high typical 3-4ply.

My Vendetta 1.5 has an aluminium seat. I was really sore at the top of my sacrum after a 40km time trial attempt the other day, and noticed that there is a bulging weld line which may have been the trouble. I've slipped a strip of closed cell foam and small rectangle of 3cm thick open cell foam inside the cruzbike cover, and that has made a big difference. I think the hard line of the weld was impacting on the bone through the original padding.

Slim's discovery of the drainage matting is a good one! It may be possible to get it even cheaper from civil engineering suppliers in your local area, as it's used behind retaining walls to ensure drainage (and therefore reduce pressure on the wall). The quantities used in drainage applications are usually many meters. Such suppliers might even be a few offcuts laying around that you could get for free.

I have a computerized knitting machine. It can knit pretty much any 1 bit (i.e. two colour - B/W) image - with a few limits on large blocks of single colour. Lots of small areas of alternating colour are better. Anyone keen for a custom design cushion cover in whatever yarn, wool, acrylic, silk/blend, etc? I guess Larry needs something to match those "billboard" wheels of his? :) Pixel size is not square, stiches are more like 1.4times wider than they are high. Stitch sizes about 2mm wide by 1.4 high typical 3-4ply.
Hamish do you have a Passap or Brother? Does your machine have a ribber? On Ravelry?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The woven drainage matting in Australia is nothing like this a only 1.5 mm thick and mainly silt retention.
If you have a link I would be very interested!!!

I found Hydravent Mattress ventilation underlay sold by the metre $79 AU ($59 US) / m 1 metre wide and 20 mm thick
http://www.latexmattress.com.au/hydravent-mattress-underlay/

It does not look as strong as the ASC 10, but I will contact them tomorrow to find out its compressive strength.

Reactions: joy

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
How much did Rick pay for the Carbon Fibre seats from Hostelle Shoppee?
SS, at the time they were $265, now they are $295. But there is another source that is a more superior CF seat, which is lighter, and in my opinion a step up from Hostel Shoppe. And much cheaper, I think just under $200. I intend to try one in the future.
I observe a different seat on the v20 compared to the Silvio v1.0 (the latter being a bike I rode for a season). Can someone tell me the difference? The Silvio seat was quite uncomfortable for me.
Rat, I would suggest, trying the stock seat first, and if you can't get it right, then go with after-market CF upgrade like I did. One way or another, you can make these bikes very comfortable.

ratz

Hamish do you have a Passap or Brother? Does your machine have a ribber? On Ravelry?
Abbot along that thought line if you are thinking of some custom stitch stuff and embroidery. My mother has the massive brother machine but not the software to covert AI files to brother format. But given the files that option is out their to make custom stuff look cool.

unc99

I bought a seat from this website that I intend to try on a Vendetta (which I do not yet have). See link below. The seat I purchased is not shown, but the link below shows some of the seats available. Note that there is also a link that recommends different seats based on the recline angle you are looking for (ie, a seat with a very "upturned" front lip would not work well with the very reclined Vendetta frame). The "Model G" listed on this page is the only one recommended for the extreme recline of the Vendetta. Have not ridden on the seat I purchased, so cannot speak much to quality, although it is carbon and looks nice. The seller was very responsive and easy to work with, even though overseas.

Based on my experience with my Silvio, I know I prefer a seat that has an upturn at the shoulder (so that your head is not raised solely by the headrest), but that is just a personal preference. Given that the Vendetta comes with a seat, obviously makes sense to give that a shot first.

http://www.thorseat.eu/other-seats/

ratz

I bought a seat from this website that I intend to try on a Vendetta (which I do not yet have). See link below. The seat I purchased is not shown, but the link below shows some of the seats available. Note that there is also a link that recommends different seats based on the recline angle you are looking for (ie, a seat with a very "upturned" front lip would not work well with the very reclined Vendetta frame). The "Model G" listed on this page is the only one recommended for the extreme recline of the Vendetta. Have not ridden on the seat I purchased, so cannot speak much to quality, although it is carbon and looks nice. The seller was very responsive and easy to work with, even though overseas.

Based on my experience with my Silvio, I know I prefer a seat that has an upturn at the shoulder (so that your head is not raised solely by the headrest), but that is just a personal preference. Given that the Vendetta comes with a seat, obviously makes sense to give that a shot first.

http://www.thorseat.eu/other-seats/

Those showed up on BROL a couple of months back. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Abbot along that thought line if you are thinking of some custom stitch stuff and embroidery. My mother has the massive brother machine but not the software to covert AI files to brother format. But given the files that option is out their to make custom stuff look cool.
My knitting machine is an old school brother with rudimentary digital capability. You code in 10 stitches at a time using binary and a bank of LEDs. Massive pain. I do high end color work knitting when I have the time. This piece is an original design that I hand knit. It's doubleknit rather than stranded. image.jpg

hamishbarker

@abbot we have a a very old brother 910 (actually we have many) hacked with an ayab arduino board to replace the original computer, so it connects to the computer by usb. which model brother do youhave? we got ours cheap because the power supply was busted and the computer had a dry solder joint (fixed both but the computer board is now replaced by the arduino)

@abbot we have a a very old brother 910 (actually we have many) hacked with an ayab arduino board to replace the original computer, so it connects to the computer by usb. which model brother do youhave? we got ours cheap because the power supply was busted and the computer had a dry solder joint (fixed both but the computer board is now replaced by the arduino)
I've got a brother kh 965i with a ribber