Vendetta V20 Build diary 2016

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
That's a good question. The XD-15 just simply out performs anything I've tried including SRAM, Shimano, Rotor, and Hope. The hopes came is a close second. I originally was looking for weather proof when I found RWC. The Cheap SRAM's that come with only last about 1 season and then I have broken bearings; from either making the clamps too tight before I knew better; or the extra demands of the MBB on the BB. The angular bearings on the XD-15 seem to take the load better and spin more freely that anything I've tried. Basically "dam that is expensive, but it works"; I'm on year 3 on two of them and it's hard to argue with how well they work. Here's the spin down we did with a 1 week old SRAM BB ($30) that ships with the force cranks and a 1 year old XD-15

It's a well know fact among my friends that I'm an expensive friend to have because drag people into expensive hobbies like bikes and motorcycle racing. Ratz is quickly becoming my expensive friend :lol

I read the idea behind the bearings and as an engineer myself it's hard to not want what they're selling. I order a BB straight from Enduro so I should get in Friday just in time for my race this weekend. If I don't win I'm blaming Ratz for my lighter wallet and poor result :)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Lady from Enduro said the English threaded BB is the same for both SRAM and shimano. The BB comes with the needed 1mm thick sleeve to bump the 22mm SRAM non drive shaft to the 24mm bearing ID. I hope she's right.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ahhh haaa! Larrys secrete emerges :D:D:D!
Motorized BB I knew it.

Larry (or others), I just ordered a V20 and plan to use SRAM Apex shortened cranks from Bikesmith, which I believe I saw you are using. Would you mind letting me know which RWC bottom bracket you are using?

That's a GXP crank 24x22mm spindle so

The equivalent ones you want; and from memory who rides them.

Larry, Bob, Joe, Lief: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id332.html (Only one price; this is the one in the video).

Rick and a few others: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id484.html (Choose the $99, or $129, to avoid rustable bearing).

I know a few more people too. Name drop to Cruzbike Forum as recommending you when you order.
It's not worth any discount at this point, but there a fair amount of good will when any of us do tech support with them.

ratz

It's a well know fact among my friends that I'm an expensive friend to have because drag people into expensive hobbies like bikes and motorcycle racing. Ratz is quickly becoming my expensive friend :lol

I read the idea behind the bearings and as an engineer myself it's hard to not want what they're selling. I order a BB straight from Enduro so I should get in Friday just in time for my race this weekend. If I don't win I'm blaming Ratz for my lighter wallet and poor result :)

Flattery ... we accept that here. These guys are right up your alley. Small US company focus on off road / all weather / race durable stuff. Head support guy exchanged 5 emails with me last year while he was hiking the grandcanyon with his family on vacation, and managed to get me parts while out of the office. All for a $200 sale. This spring he could of sold me a $200 replacement part, but was stand-up and told me I was fine to file off the bur on the shim and reinstall it. That's the kind of guys I like to support.

I've long considered just expressing what things cost where 1 Ratz = $100..... So it's only a 2-Ratz item; which frankly from me is pretty good. My problem is my friends are faster than me; so I find toys to make up the difference, the problem is their wallets get lighter at the same pace as mine. The good news for everyone is you get a 3 year hiatus now; two daughters in college this coming fall; so these last bikes were the final big pre college toys for the adults.

This is also why it's good we don't have a Velomobile sub category or Eric would be putting us all into hurt since he's velo is so awesome it seems to keep him off his Vendetta.

Btw, not more Creak on the Headrest clamp the creak was from a loose bottle cage.

unc99

Thanks folks for the info on the RWC BB. I also just ordered the TriRig Omega Brake after seeing Ratz's build info further above. This thread has killed my original idea of a simple and inexpensive build!

ratz

Thanks folks for the info on the RWC BB. I also just ordered the TriRig Omega Brake after seeing Ratz's build info further above. This thread has killed my original idea of a simple and inexpensive build!

To get the best mount on those brakes you'll want to cut the second shortest bolt about 1 cm; the short one is too short and the next one is too long. To do that; I screwed a 4 or 5 mm thread tap on to the bolt; then used a tiny $10 pipe cutter from Home depot to take 1cm off the end; then unscrewed the tap to clean the threads. That allowed me to get the best mounting.

Modulation on those brakes has been great, especially with carbon rims. I can give a 1/4 pull to engage the brakes; and then I can squeeze pulse the left and right in alternating patterns to slow down; the more you pull the deeper they brake; I really love the feel and I'll be curious to hear your results. Do plan on spending about 1 hour of slow putzy work getting them installed; if you are like me you'll try several combinations to get the clear as tight and clean as you can. If you get stuck ask and I'll answer or provide photos where possible.

ratz

Lady from Enduro said the English threaded BB is the same for both SRAM and shimano. The BB comes with the needed 1mm thick sleeve to bump the 22mm SRAM non drive shaft to the 24mm bearing ID. I hope she's right.

She is correct. I purchased the GXP version year one: 24x22mm; punched out the shim year 2 to run 24x24mm, year 3 reinstalled the shims to run 24x22mm. The sleeve mounts on the inside of the non drive side cup.

There is a photo of it in post #40 of this thread.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/vendetta-v20-build-diary-2016.10189/page-2#post-121036

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Waited all morning for UPS to deliver my new XD-15 BB, even missed my lunch ride because I figured it would come any minute and I could test it on a late lunch ride. It finally showed up a little while ago and yup, it's a BB30 for my 24mm GXP cranks. If that sounds odd to you it's because they sent me the wrong efing parts. It's amazing how the cycling and motorcycle industries can stay in business as often as this happens to me:mad:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Tell them your going to try getting the correct part from Hawk racing because FrictionFacts bottom bracket report said it was only 0.01 watts slower at half the cost. Should be worth at least a FedEx.
later,,, bye

They already next day shipped me a replacement for monday, hopefully the correct replacement this time. Great customer service after the fact doesn't get a XD-15 bottom bracket on my bike for tomorrows race though.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
They already next day shipped me a replacement for monday, hopefully the correct replacement this time. Great customer service after the fact doesn't get a XD-15 bottom bracket on my bike for tomorrows race though.
Jason, sorry to hear about that. Where and when are you racing? Good luck, I think you will kick-butt even without the XD-15. Gotta cut those guys some slack one way or another:D:D:D!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jason, that is one BIG day of riding (332 km 5,750 m climbing), that puts our "Down Under" Falls Creek 3 Peaks of 237 Km and 4,400 m climbing to shame!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so I got the corrected XD-15 BB but to my surprise not install instructions are included. It also didn't come with any spacing rings for between the cups and shell of the frame. I thought I'd need at least one of those thick 2-3mm rings for the drive side cup. I did get the wave washer, 1mm alloy sleeve for GXP and half a dozen small crank axel shims but that it. Do I have what I need?

I'm going to have to look at both SRAM and Enduros websites and brush up on the crank install procedure.

ratz

Ok so I got the corrected XD-15 BB but to my surprise not install instructions are included. It also didn't come with any spacing rings for between the cups and shell of the frame. I thought I'd need at least one of those thick 2-3mm rings for the drive side cup. I did get the wave washer, 1mm alloy sleeve for GXP and half a dozen small crank axel shims but that it. Do I have what I need?

I'm going to have to look at both SRAM and Enduros websites and brush up on the crank install procedure.

Shouldn't need spacers between the frame and the cups; that's just for mountain bikes. But we'd expect nothing less that that assumption from your background :)

Instructions (All hail OCR)

XD-15 BOTTOM BRACKET FOR SRAM/TRUVATIV GXP CRANK SETS (ENDURO CUPS)

This bottom bracket is designed for use with 68mm road, 68mm mountain, and 73mm mountain
bottom bracket shells with GXP crank sets. These cranks can be identified by the fact that the
spindle on the drive side has a diameter of 24mm, while the non-drive (splined end) has
diameter of 22mm.

The wave washers are used to provide preload tension for the angular contact bearings. PLACE
ONE OF THE WAVE WASHERS AND THREE OF THE THICKER BLACK SPINDLE SPACERS ONTO THE
SPINDLE OF THE CRANK SET BEFORE INSTALLATION.

For 68mm road bottom bracket shells, USE NO CUP SPACERS. For 68mm mountain bottom
bracket shells, use one cup spacer on each side of the BB shell. 73mrn bottom bracket shells
require no cup spacers.

Apply grease to the cup threads before installation. Proper cup torque is 25-30 Foot Pounds
(300-360 Inch Pounds/34-41 Newton-meters/346-415 Kg-force cm).
Before installing the crank set, put a thin coat of grease on the spindle and carefully guide it

through the bearings. Properly orient the non-drive side crank arm onto the spindle and begin
threading in the fixing bolt. Properly torque to 48-54 Nm (425-478 inch pounds). Spin the crank
set to check for smooth rotation.

REGARDLESS OF CRANK SET INSTRUCTIONS, THE XD-15 ANGULAR CONTACT BEARINGS REQUIRE
SIDE LOADING. Verify proper bearing tension by aligning the crank arm with the chain stay of
the frame. Alternately push and pull the crank arm toward and away from the chain stay to
check for play. NOTE: ANY DETECTIBLE PLAY MUST BE REMOVED FOR PROPER FUNCTIONING.

If play can be detected after tightening the non-drive crank arm to spec, remove the crank et
and add the second wave washer ("nest" the two wave washers together). You can also add
more spindle spacers against the wave washers if additional side loading is required. Spindle
spacers are NEVER used on the non-drive side.