Vendetta V20

Jeremy S

Dude
Hm, I like the new product

Hm, I like the new product photos! Much cleaner than the old ones, with good angles on the bikes. I just wish they were bigger and higher res. Yes, platform pedals look silly on a Silvio or Vendetta, but including them makes it a complete bike.

hamishbarker

thin boom or fat

A few people have posted about wanting the fatter boom. Given that the whole point of the vendetta is speed, the ideal boom would be one with sufficient stiffness for the job, with the minimum possible frontal area to minimise drag (or at least optimise frontal area and weight tradeoff). If the new boom is stiff enough while being slimmer and therefore less frontal area and lower drag, it sounds like an improvement.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Agreed - but there is also

Agreed - but there is also the COOL factor of that Huge tube that says "CRUZBIKE"!

?I also think yellow is known to have a lower drag coefficient than red. :)

Rampa

Guru
Optimized boom

The boom now has its thicker section at it's pivot, and no cutouts. It probably is stiffer than the original fat one. That, and greater adjustability will make it faster. The outer sleeve of the new boom vs the inner sleeve of the old boom may actually be very similar.

That's what must be compared. as that is where the the head tube connection (pivot point) is. The clamp between the head tube and boom tube is also key, and has gotten better with each generation.

8687912890_bf088049cd_z.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Nice booms there Rampa!!
This

Nice booms there Rampa!!

This is off topic and just thinking, is there any reason the V boom (just the boom and not the front triangle) would work on the Silvio with it's existing front shock and CF triangle? Off hand, I don't see why not, unless I'm missing something, I've seen the entire frontend swapped out on a previous threat here.

Rampa

Guru
Those booms are from the pinned build thread, not mine!

I still can't afford such a nice bike! Although, living in Chico, I might be tempted to check your bikes out some day, as Redding isn't very far.

I bet someone will manage to get it onto a Quest as well. ;)

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
That photo was of my first

That photo was of my first stuck boom at the top and the replacement below it to show how far in the slider was when it got stuck.

I think this is another advantage of the shared S20 and V20 boom as this should not happen with the new design.

-Eric

Ivan

Guru
The V20 and S20 boom looks

The V20 and S20 boom looks very similar to my Silvio 2.0 boom. Note the external cable routing as compared to Vendetta 2.0's internal routing. The previous writing for Vendetta made a point of good aerodynamics such as bullhorn bars, internal cabling, even bar end shifters pointing forward not upward at cruising speeds! A shared boom makes economic sense, and my boom provides excellent adjustability - much more than the Vendetta boom which came in 3 sizes, but I can hardly see it as a performance upgrade for V20. The steering tube clamp mechanism would appear (my unsubstantiated opinion) would appear to give more flex than Vendetta's setup. Even if that were not the case and it was just as stiff, it would lose on aerodynamics.

Ivan

Guru
Jeremy, I agree that the new

Jeremy, I agree that the new V20 photos are better than the old Vendetta photos - but they are still ineffective product photos. One look comparing Rick's accidental photo and my amateur enthusiast photos reveals that. Which ones grab the uninitiated Cruzbike potential buyer more?

Rick, that fine gravelly terrain was no problem for your Vendetta? I presume that was for a short part of a longer ride that was mostly on asphalt. Are you running 25c tyres there? I'm interested to know how much of a "trail" that you handled without a problem on your Vendetta.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Ivan~Rick, that fine gravelly

Ivan~Rick, that fine gravelly terrain was no problem for your Vendetta? I presume that was for a short part of a longer ride that was mostly on asphalt. Are you running 25c tyres there? I'm interested to know how much of a "trail" that you handled without a problem on your Vendetta.

Ivan, that was the end of the smoothly paved road. I was going to walk down to the waters edge with the bike, but the water level has dropped so much and the terrain was so treacherous, I stopped there. It's a camp spot that my wife and I camp-out at in a little tent 35 years ago.

Yup, those are 25mm Tufo clinchers. But currently running 28mm ultra supple tires for very rough pavement.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Accidents ...sure

Just for the record. One photo in 1000 is lucky; your success rate has more to do with a good eye, a descent camera, annoyingly good weather, and a good helping of skill.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Just for the record. One

Just for the record. One photo in 1000 is lucky; your success rate has more to do with a good eye, a descent camera, annoyingly good weather, and a good helping of skill.

Bob I'm blushing. However, I will attest to there is nothing like natural "sunny" light to help make most any bad photo come to life with a great background setting. But my camera is an HTC phone, not that great, but better than my old iPhone.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
New video walk through on the V20 page

Robert Holler does a video walk through of the new V20 at RCC. This video was just added to the V20 bike page:

FWIW, I like the new boom better after watching the video. The size of the tubing looks good. I like the smoother, more streamlined look, and from what I can see from the video, it looks like it is a LOT more adjustable to rider size and fit than the old style with the turned slider and welded in pivot cage.

Timing was bad for me this year, else I would have gone to RCC. I'm sorry I missed it now, it would have been fun to meet Robert in person and say hello to Jim and Maria again and maybe try out the new S30 and V20 myself.

I'd like to see more detail on the new seat. Hopefully the buyer at RCC or others will post some more photos.

-Eric

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Video's yummmm

Was hoping something like that was in the works. Always good to shoot that casual informal stuff at a tradeshow.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Great videos, thanks Eric for

Great videos, thanks Eric for sharing.

It appears that the Silvio too, has a one piece seat, from what I can see in the videos's. I'm glad to see that Cruzbike has address some of the issues talked about here on the forum such as the front derailleur hanger press fit, easier/better adjustability for rider size on the Vendetta, redoing the front derailleur cable routing so the boom can be adjusted without having to readjust the FD.

I do like the new "blood" red.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Hey Eric

I watched the SRAM Type 2 Derailleur video in which Robert is touting the virtues of the cage lock button. I can't help but think that your write-up on this same feature was likely instrumental in Cruzbike making the decision to specify these derailleurs.

Just another great thing about a company who listens to its customers. :)