Vendetta V20

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
FSA Bearings Part II

I'm familiar with external bottom bracket bearings, but I was slightly confused about Robert's comment about FSA bearing cups being "dead flat". I was picturing an external BB cup without a notched tool interface, but that isn't the case. Robert means that the "shoulders" of the cups are square, not rounded or tapered.

Maybe it's just me, but I needed a picture to get what he meant.

alt="Bottom bracket cup profile comparison"
bottom_bracket_shoulders.png

As much as I love Chris King components, the pink BB wouldn't be the best choice for interfacing with the Cruzbike ring clamp. In the case of the Vendetta (and Silvio), it is indeed, hip to be square .

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I purchased a set for my

I purchased a set for my Vendetta build a few months back. I like how the graphics appear on both side of the arms. The red should pop well with new Vendetta "Blood" Red.

15557956502_5307de0d19_c.jpg height:569px

15557955962_bdfa618900_c.jpg height:677px

15370494199_42679c016c_c.jpg

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that the

I should note that the diameter of the cups is important as well.

For instance, that green middle BB in the picture - the EVO series from FSA, are 30mm bearings. That makes the cups too big in diameter to even fit inside the ring clamps, so even if the cup surface was flat it would not work.

Robert

Ivan

Guru
Chainstay Extensions

On the new V20 and S30 there doesn't appear to be any chainstay extension options nor different sizes as when the Vendetta 2.0 was around. Thus, a short and long X-seam rider would have vastly different BB heights. It's great to have a shared boom, but is there any choice in chainstay lengths so a rider can select a higher or lower BB?

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Protruding brake/shifting levers

I realized that new Vendetta has got different handlebar than V2.0. It looks as that from Silvio. What I don't like is that shifting/braking lever protrudes outside of bike. So simple question comes. What is first part on the handlebars that touches ground if I crash?
It is brake lever on my homebuild recumbent. So I ripped apart one when I was trying to straighten it after crash and second one is bent from some other crash. But is is only brake lever for few € not a shifting/braking levers for hundreds €.

Ivan

Guru
Good question Snilard. I

Good question Snilard. I never went down with my original bars. Perhaps someone else can comment. I did slide on gravel with my regular drop bars on Silvio. My brifters needed the rubber hoods replaced and scratches painted over but we're functionally still good.

I've had the chance to test

I've had the chance to test crashing in real-world conditions on a patch of mud. The bar-end shifter took a lot of the impact, and the bars got bent below the brake lever. So the contact points were quick release cap, pedal, and bars, plus a little scratch on the seat. In case of brifters, these could be adjusted a little more inward or up to avoid costly damage.

Martin

I thought the V20 was supposed to be a lighter weight bike compared to the 2.0? If you look at the posted weights of each bike, it looks like the older 2.0 is lighter.

Vendetta 2.0 = 21.8 lbs
Vendetta V20 = 23.15 lbs

Couple of other questions I have:
Will 11 speed drive train options now be compatible with the release of the V20?

Does the V20 now come with 135mm spacing?

Rampa

Guru
Curious, but perhaps this is why.

The V20 weight seems to be exactly what the bike weighs with the listed components, including some big, chunky pedals!
The V2.0 shows a "typical build" weight, BUT, without pedals. Did they average a few? Who knows!

It is more than likely that you would alter the weights of either bike as you customize it for yourself.

I'm pretty sure both S and V, in this new iteration, have 132.5 spacing. The idea here is that the tolerance is close enough either way to go with 10 or 11.

currystomper

If I get a Vendetta for Christmas

I'm not going to be that lucky - but If I did get a given a V20 - I would extend the Red frame colour though the other parts of the bike; Red Handle bar tape and few red anodized bits.

Also If it is the S30 I was given I would change the handle bar tape back to the white/black tape from the original Silivio and maybe go for some mainly white wheels to extend the Black/white colour scheme.

Mmmm nice to dream!!

:)

CS

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
So that's where almost a pound went away

Earlier in the thread it was speculated exactly how much the seat changed. Well here you go, the answer is in.

Thanks to the seat I damaged filming rolling the rollers, and later good folks at Cruzbike letting me order the new one as the replacement.

So.....

My undamaged seat on the Vendetta is 930 grams; the replacement seat is 540 grams so just under a .85 pound reduction. The new seat is 100% carbon lay-up and it is beautiful. It is clear that attention was paid to all the problems the Silvo 2.0 users had get the seats fitted. I know this seat would have saved me about 2 hours setup time per bike (OCD yep!).

There is simply no comparison between the quality of the old and the new. The Velcro is perfectly attached, the edges are flared precisely; the holes cut for water bottles; t-bracket and headrest holes are clean. It simply puts the old seat to shame.

So the seat hasn't changed; the hydro formed bikes all use the same one; the new one is going on the Vendetta and the Silvio will get the hand me down. The smashed one will probably be relegated to for use on the winter trainer.

They probably should compile of list of people that want seat upgrades and with each batch of bikes; place the order for those extra seats. IMHO the only visible blemish / hack on my Vendetta has been completely removed. Who knew a crash could turn out so fortuitous.

Sitonit1.jpg

Sitonit2.jpg

Tor Hovland

So, would you buy a new, red V20 or a well-kept, used, yellow 1.5? It depends on the price, of course. I have the option of buying a complete 1.5 for roughly the same price as a V20 frameset.

Arguments in favor of the used 1.5:
  • It is a complete bike, i.e. the cheaper of the two options.
  • I can take it now, and don't have to wait for the medium V20 to become available.
  • It has the cool-looking, fat yellow boom.
  • It has the cool Cruzbike wheels.
Arguments in favor of the V20 frameset:
  • The stability has improved twice, first with the 2.0, then with the V20. This is important to me, but I don't know how big the difference is in practice. I would love to be able to bomb downhill at max speed with total confidence, but I'm not sure if I ever will be able to on the 1.5. Can somebody who knows both bikes please elaborate?
  • I can order the medium size that is supposed to fit me best. The 1.5 is large with a stem extension, but I can ride it without issues. What is the advantage of the medium size? I can start and stop fine on the large frame, and I understand I even have better aerodynamics on it. But the boom is pretty much horizontal, while it seems to be angled downward on a properly fitted V20. Does that affect stability? Would a medium V20 handle much better than a (too) large 1.5? There are some pictures of how I fit on the large frame over here: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/the-learning-to-ride-a-vendetta-diary.8684/
  • It has disc brake tabs, which I'm sure I will take advantage of at some point.
  • I can fit the drivetrain that I like. I don't think the 39/53 crankset on the 1.5 gives me sufficient range. I would like something for steep climbs without sacrificing the top gears, hence I believe I need a triple crank, or possibly just an MTB cassette.
  • I understand it is lighter.
  • I've had issues with the neck rest of the 1.5. My head is reclined too far back. The design of the new V20 neck rest makes a lot of sense to me.
  • The seat design is more sophisticated.
  • I suppose the second-hand value would be higher, but that may be debatable.
As you can understand, I find it difficult to decide. I would love some input from all of you.

Another thing, If I want to go for a V20, should I wait for the medium size to become available, or should I just order a large one with a stem extension? I am 6' 2", with an inseam of 35". My X-seam is 44-45". I have asked about sizing in this thread: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/sizing-conundrum.8615/

hamishbarker

I have a 1.5 medium, am 6' ( 183cm) tall. I have no problems with stability at speed. Best speed to date (downhill! I'm no superman.) has been i think 64km/h or so.

i feel the medium is maxed our at my size, a the boom is for ced down the further out the bb is set. With your extra 5cm height, i would strongly recommend the large size. But maybe if you have relatively short legs for you're height thus might bite be the case. Have not measured my x seam.

Only very limited selection of triple crank sets can fit the v because of the bottom bracket clamps clashing with the smallest chain ring. For lower gears, cranksets are rather expensive and abeter option,is probably a long cage rear derailleur and wide range mtb cassette which a few here have been using with good experiences. I just bought an sram x9 long cage rear der. on Ebay for nz$108 (circa 60euro).

Disc brakes are less aero than rim. aren't you buying a v for best aero?

With its carbon seat and slightly smaller boom, the v20 should be at least 600gm (probably more, maybe 1kg?) lighter than the 1.5 with otherwise similar spec. And the hydro formed tube looks better and has better aero integration to the front a wheel with the dimple in the down tube.

I'd say it really comes down to how much is the reduced weight worth to you?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
6' 2", with an inseam of 35". My X-seam is 44-45".

Your X-seam is 5" more than mine and you are 5" inches taller; that mean all leg; If you don't have short calves; that puts you in no mans land between the two frames.

If you think you'd like short cranks 165mm or less. I'd say larger + stem riser will give you the best option. Short crank push the boom out and bring the handlebars up; you might not need the riser but I'd have it on hand for fitting.

If you think you'd like long cranks 175mm then the medium as that will let you bring the boom in 10mm shorter; which would buy you the space but but but you might have to do that by shifting the entire boom back versus shorting it; to prevent thigh handlebar interference. With a short upper body that might be preferable.

Tough call.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
having a bike that fits you comfortably is all and should be key to your decision. i have not ridden a 1.5. if you enjoy tinkering and putting things together and have the budget then buy new. if you dont like tinkering and like a bargain and the aesthetics of the old yella then second hand cannot be beat. especially since it is such a nice colour. (i am biased)

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
This should improve

I agree! I believe this is a smart move. Who's to say the new boom is not any less stiff than the older version. I do like the red. Roberts Vendetta looks great in red.

If I remember correctly, the Vendetta price was reduced sometime during the summer. And with the new version, the price did not increase. I would imagine this is because of the new manufacturing process of the new boom.

However, the big giant humongous yellow tube seems to have been synonymous with the Vendetta. It's easy for the roadies to se me coming from behind, they know when they see that big O yellow tube coming up on them, they're getting passed :)
I put a carbon rear wheel on now so the roadies who haven't got mirrors can hear me come up behind them. How does it go??? Whoosh.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I bought one of the last Vendetta's and when Cruzbike announced the new V20 in red I was a bit miffed. But the build I have is a perfect joy to ride. I love the chrome on the V2.0 ; it just exudes quality. I love the brightness of the frame. I think its important to be seen and I think yellow really does help. So how difficult would it be to produce a carbon boom? It would make the V more competitive going up hills as it would be lighter.