Vendetta versus Silvio on less-than-ideal road surfaces

A question for those of you who have ridden both: How do the riding experiences of the V and S compare on rough road surface? I'm not talking about gravel, but rough roads and the occasional pothole.

I ask because I have a Silvio and can use your answer to assess the possibility of getting a Vendetta someday. To me, the simpler the better. The V's lack of suspension should yield a stiffer, lighter, and more reliable frame than the S's comparably complex design.

Thank you for reading,

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I ride a Vendetta. Rog let me ride his Silvio around the parking lot, so I went over a recessed manhole cover a few times to test the smoothness. I found the Silvio was a little smoother on something like that, which is a regular occurrence in the real world.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
All things wheels and tires being equal.

Silvio glides on most road surfaces including chipseal. The V20 buzzes down those roads, and you feel the vibrations and the road; Hit an unseen manhole cover with a 3in lip at speed on a Silvio and you wake up; on the V20 you blow a tire or just about dump the bike.

But in general the V20 is fine on the same roads; if a road is smooth enough to make you want to fall asleep on the Silvo; that won't happen on the V20.

Put 25mm on the Vendetta and it's smooth sailing; and with some RIMs you can get the 28mm on board.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
The nice thing about the Vendetta, is it can be quite a pleasant comfortable, yet light fast bike, if you you want to spend a little extra money on seat and and headrest mods like I did. The seat mod and headrest mod takes away most of the road buzz out.

Finally the the rain went away, the sun came out to bring a very nice day. So I've been able to test out thenew CF headrest and visor. I've tweaked the the seat and headrest and have an extremely comfortable ride, smooth and plush over most moderate road surfaces, and doable over some ruff roads. I also have a Silvio, unfortunately/fortunately, I ride the Vendetta and rarely the Silvio.

But I would suggest, should you go with a Vendetta, try out the stock setup it maybe all need. I think the longer wheelbase is a benefit over uneven road surfaces.

BTW, I'm running 28mm S-Ones on front and back.

Yesterdays ride:

Vendetta1.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Rick was the CF headrest more comfortable than the Adem with the Aluminium FB support, or is all the comfort due to the Open mesh head rest cushion?

That is a NICE sunny day!!!

For the last week we have had Newcastle's HOT (35C 95F) and raining weather!!!

Is your new CF rear bag going to be the same shape as your existing black bag?

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I'm running 28mm S-Ones on front and back
Awesome... Are your S-Ones tubeless? If they are you probably dropped the pressure a tad to make it more confortable? Also Rick do you notice a significant difference?

For me when I first got the Vendetta, I went out with 23mm tires fully pumped up and after coming back I thought I would have to go to the dentist. Actually rough roads with such a stiff frame felt as though my eye balls were going shake out of the sockets too. Not good if you are being overtaken by a lorry a foot away. After that, I got a couple of 28mm compass chinook pass tyres with inner tubes and a ventisit comfort seat pad. Much better for rough roads and I kept that configuration.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Rick was the CF headrest more comfortable than the Adem with the Aluminium FB support, or is all the comfort due to the Open mesh head rest cushion?
SS, the new CF is more comfortable than the ADEM. I had the Ventisit cushion on the ADEM also. I'm speculating the CF maybe absorbing more than the aluminum. I noticed today and yesterday, I lifted my head less, and felt the need for a strong black cup of Joe to keep me from dozing :D:D:D.

That is a NICE sunny day!!!
Yes, finally it came out in full force.

Is your new CF rear bag going to be the same shape as your existing black bag?
Yes, I working on it now. It will be my first prototype, hopefully soon.

Awesome... Are your S-Ones tubeless? If they are you probably dropped the pressure a tad to make it more comfortable? Also Rick do you notice a significant difference?
David, mine are standard tubed. I run from 90 up to 110 psi, depending on road surface I will be riding.

I know air pressure can make a significant difference on the ride, as far as comfort. I can't really feel any difference, from the seat of my pants, in performance between the lower and high pressure.

I think the significant difference in the smooth ride is the custom seat mode, with the rubber mount blocks between the seat frame and the seat. Lots of bad and good road surface around here and I'm able to ride fairly comfortable on moderately old chip seal, and not notifiable worse than the Silvio...Like I'm not thinking, "next time I'm riding the Silvio on this road instead of the Vendetta".

Are you running the 28 mm Ones below 85 psi, and if so is there are effect when cornering?
I don't purposely run the tires below 85. For me, I'm staying MF recommendations, because I'm in the mid 40 MPH's coming down some of the mountains, and just don't want to chance it.

ccooper

I, too, have been trying to decide between Silvio and Vendetta. I want it to be suitable for riding in Bali, where the roads are narrow and there can be a lot of potholes. I much prefer tubeless, so running 28mm Schwalbe Pro Ones on the Vendetta might be good enough that I can do without the suspension on the Silvio.

On the other hand, in Bali there is nobody to ride with/against, so trying to build the fastest bike is really not so important. Comfort and reliability matter more. So maybe Silvio is the better option.

On the other hand, in Bali there is nobody to ride with/against, so trying to build the fastest bike is really not so important. Comfort and reliability matter more. So maybe Silvio is the better option.

My guess is the Silvio is more comfortable than the V on rough roads (all components equal) but the V is more reliable (more simple, fewer parts).

TalleyHo

I, too, have been trying to decide between Silvio and Vendetta. I want it to be suitable for riding in Bali, where the roads are narrow and there can be a lot of potholes. I much prefer tubeless, so running 28mm Schwalbe Pro Ones on the Vendetta might be good enough that I can do without the suspension on the Silvio.

I really appreciate the suspension on my S. It does exactly what a performance suspension should do, not be noticeable until you hit some nasty pavement. The other thing I appreciate about the S is the seat angle being at a practicle height for seeing road and sights while still being a crazy fast bike. If I road with others it would different. My ego would likely demand a V.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I know air pressure can make a significant difference on the ride, as far as comfort. I can't really feel any difference, from the seat of my pants, in performance between the lower and high pressure.

plus one here. run 25mm conti gp 400s at 90 psi = comfort 100psi = not so comfy and cannot see any real gains in performance.

what ever bike you choose you will love it i am sure. the virtues of both bikes are fleshed out in the forum. choose the bike for you and enjoy.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I was wondering if you were awake, but you out riding instead!

a matter of some conjecture i assure you slim. i am so comfy i can often be seen yawning as i pass by those boring boring boring road bikes that all look the same.

hope you are recovering well mate.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jond when I am floating on a cushion of air (front and rear!) and 40 mm thick Ventisit cushion,and coasting past my DF friends on a 2% decline, while they are pedaling, I give them a royal wave, then put one arm behind my head!!!
They tend to make snide remarks to me when overtaking on the next hill climb!!!
I don't know why!!!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Jond when I am floating on a cushion of air (front and rear!) and 40 mm thick Ventisit cushion,and coasting past my DF friends on a 2% decline, while they are pedaling, I give them a royal wave, then put one arm behind my head!!!
I don't know why!!!

Just tell them you are resting for so you can handle the stress of the next 65kph down hill effort.

jond

Zen MBB Master

lol yeah had some roadies tell me to just "stay back" as they pass me again on a climb as if their effort ensures ownership of position up against a dork on a "thing".

this fires up the old reactionary knee jerk red mist with a reply of " well just stay in front then and no problems."

followed by a special effort just for them. imagine being passed by an 18kg trike with panniers on a 6% grade. the look on their out of the saddle check out my butt"n"bike sweaty faces was priceless. mind you the effort required to then stay in front to the next check point nearly killed me.

but is was and is so worth it.................... i am a troubled wicked foolish soul to find challenge and joy in such a situation........... :)

on the vendetta no one who has passed me on a hill has stayed in front. one day it will happen but the person will be extremely fit and fast or most likely riding a vendetta.