Vendetta versus Silvio on less-than-ideal road surfaces

super slim

Zen MBB Master
lol yeah had some roadies tell me to just "stay back" as they pass me again on a climb as if their effort ensures ownership of position up against a dork on a "thing".

this fires up the old reactionary knee jerk red mist with a reply of " well just stay in front then and no problems."

followed by a special effort just for them. imagine being passed by an 18kg trike with panniers on a 6% grade. the look on their out of the saddle check out my butt"n"bike sweaty faces was priceless. mind you the effort required to then stay in front to the next check point nearly killed me.

but is was and is so worth it.................... i am a troubled wicked foolish soul to find challenge and joy in such a situation........... :)

on the vendetta no one who has passed me on a hill has stayed in front. one day it will happen but the person will be extremely fit and fast or most likely riding a vendetta.

From the slow touring group of recumbents, I thank you, even if you are a Newcaslteodian!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have got 28 mm Pro One on the front and run it at 70 psi. Cornering is OK for my 60 kg.
Snilard, Do you have them mounted as tubeless?
I just got my 700x28 Pro One tubeless and also a set of CF 86mm rims that are 27.3mm wide on the outside, but have tried everything imaginable and can not get the tires edges to seat to the sides.
Even LBS and Schwable customer service stumped. I stuck some tubes in the now for hopes of them maybe conforming to the shape.
They do, however fit nicely into the front fork with plenty of room - at 100 psi.
I have not ridden them yet - but have plans to this weekend if the weather holds. Will post my results and will be comparing them to 3 other wheelsets all the GT4000Sii and latex tubes!

Snilard - 60kg - you are one light guy. How tall are you? I am 5'7" (1.7M) My weight over our winter crept up to 173 lbs (= 78.5kg) and had to start eating more healthy diet (bye-bye sugar, donuts, bread -- :( ) . Trying to drop the extra pounds without loosing any muscle or fitness - hard to do... My goal is to get down to 63Kg.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I just got my 700x28 Pro One tubeless and also a set of CF 86mm rims that are 27.3mm wide on the outside, but have tried everything imaginable and can not get the tires edges to seat to the sides.

Did you try a compressor. If I don't let a folder sit unfolded for a couple of days then on some wheels I've only been able to get them mount the first time by blasting 180 psi into the tire. Other rims work just fine.

Don't have a compress then this baby from Bontrager is your best friend.
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gea...uct/review-bontrager-flash-charger-tlr-49050/

LarryOz

Did you try a compressor. If I don't let a folder sit unfolded for a couple of days then on some wheels I've only been able to get them mount the first time by blasting 180 psi into the tire. Other rims work just find.
Yes, I tried a compressor too - 150 psi. even took out the valve stem to get more air in. LBS did the same to no avail.
Yes, I also had the time unfolded and stretched around the rim for 4 days before trying.
Also, double layer of tape, putting sealant in first (what a mess), compressing the top of the tire, trying to pull one of of the tire into to the rim all the way around, sticking my tongue out, screaming wildly, stomping my foot!
Hopefully having it full inflated with the tube will help some.
It will make an interesting comparison however. I'll test the Pro One with latex Tubes against the GT4000sii with latex tubes on the track this weekend.
Then, at some point when I can finally get the Pro Ones mounted tubeless I can test again and see the true difference!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
sticking my tongue out, screaming wildly, stomping my foot!

Been there. At some point I started getting better at it.

Did you try dry mounting them with just soap like (dawn) on the bead? Never had any luck with my 150psi compressor got the bigger one and 180psi seems to work first try.

Pro One's should be here this weekend and then I get to try the same thing. The Pro's went on easy so we'll see if the Pro One's are perhaps harder to mount.

LarryOz

Pro One's should be here this weekend and then I get to try the same thing. The Pro's went on easy so we'll see if the Pro One's are perhaps harder to mount.
I'll be anxiously waiting you results with the Pro Ones Ratz!
Yes - also tried dry mounting them, even with the "special" Schwable mounting fluid, that looks like a $10 little bottle of soap to me.
It just seems to me that both tire edges do not want to lay against their opposing rims at the same time - hopefully having them on with the tubes will give it some memory.
I like that Bontrager pump - kind of pricey - but what isn't! haha

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Yes, tubeless. I have DT Swiss R460 aluminium rim with 18 mm internal width, 23 mm external. Fitting was OK with normal floor pump.

Snilard - 60kg - you are one light guy. How tall are you? I am 5'7" (1.7M) My weight over our winter crept up to 173 lbs (= 78.5kg) and had to start eating more healthy diet (bye-bye sugar, donuts, bread -- :( ) . Trying to drop the extra pounds without loosing any muscle or fitness - hard to do... My goal is to get down to 63Kg.
I am also 170 cm short. I am light and weak. My power outputs are low, I guess that meybe half of yours. Riding century in 4 hours is unimaginable for me even on V. My summer target is 58 kg.

LarryOz

I am also 170 cm short. I am light and weak. My power outputs are low, I guess that meybe half of yours. Riding century in 4 hours is unimaginable for me even on V. My summer target is 58 kg.
Holy guacamole!! - 58 Kg for 170cm - last time I weighed <127 lbs) I was about 11 years old! Even at 160 lbs, I am not considered fat or overweight. You probably can't ride in anything higher than 25kph of wind, or it will blow you off the rode.
Not sure if you have tried this or even want to, but I have found doing power intervals an effective method of building some base power among many others!

China noname rims? Isn't it the main problem?
They are not exactly no-name rims. ICAN, and they have the correct "newest" tubeless profile. Schwable did not tell me they would not work.
I guess I need to find some other rims and see if I have a different results. Good idea - just need the $$$.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Schwable did not tell me they would not work
Well if the tires aren't punching out on the edges of the rim, were they difficult to put on the wheel in the first place? You might just need to take the tire on and off a couple of times even if it will make you angry. Then there is the silicon paste stuff that you use in bathrooms. put that around the stem of the valve. I bought an expensive DT Swiss tubeless tape that works brilliantly... much better than any other tape I have used. I use electric insulation tape over the spoke holes for one revolution followed by one rotation of DT Swiss tape and I swear by that orange sealant now if you can get it... seems to be very popular. (forgive the garage as it needs a lick of attention. If I have any spare time I luv to be on the bike.)

Dare I say it but I haven't been on the bike for 5 days now because of a knee injury.... too much riding if you ask me... I should heal up fast.

Best way to shed weight... clean your liver out by fasting for 2 non consecutive days of the week. Just drink teas and broth. Works a treat. Then your body deals with consuming the fat on the body.
You need to eat otherwise you bonk so take a snack bar or a peanut butter sandwich with you when you ride.

IMG_1378 (2).JPG

LarryOz

Well if the tires aren't punching out on the edges of the rim, were they difficult to put on the wheel in the first place?
No, the were relatively easy to get on. I'll let them hang there with the tubes for a couple of days and then see if I take them off they will stay a little more again the edges.
So, where you able to get your mounted tubeless then? I thought I read you stub tubes in yours too?
Man - Those yellow V's are so beautiful!! It's the boom! Maybe I'll just make a large boom for my red on - Then at least is will be closer to looking this mean!

DavidCH

Haaaaa yes it was a little too curved to go tubeless so I got a lighter tire and inner tube. I still use the DT Swiss rim tape as it stops those annoying pinch flats when the inner tube gets caught on the spoke hole - only if the tape moves.

The rear is tubeless

jond

Zen MBB Master
kind of pricey - but what isn't! haha

hope larry hope springs eternal. you are putting me off tubeless. good luck mate. u ran tubeless on mountain bikes for a while but gave it up as messy. but when you are on the 9/10ths chasing every watt you have to go for it. right.

My weight over our winter crept up to 173 lbs (= 78.5kg) and had to start eating more healthy diet (bye-bye sugar, donuts, bread -- :( ) . Trying to drop the extra pounds without loosing any muscle or fitness - hard to do... My goal is to get down to 63Kg.

larry i am shocked how can you give up donuts and bread.

78.5kg rocket man it has not slowed you down and i swear you are faster down hill :). you would be ill at 63kg or at least look it. that is a lot of mass to lose especially quickly. one of the joys of cycling is eating and another is eating a lot. like when we were sixteen and could eat a fridge.
i am 82kg and when i drop to 79kg my wife says i look gaunt and unwell. she is not wrong. look after yourself and enjoy the occasional donut. yummo.

you will healthily get back to fighting weight mate even with a donut sanger or two.

sanger is aussie lingo for a sandwich which is sliced bread with filling. i think you crazy americans call em biscuits lol

trplay

Zen MBB Master
You guys are killing me. It's not that big of a task. If it doesn't hold air chances are good the valve stem tape hole is the culprit. Two wraps of tape the correct width with all the bubbles pressed out. If it still leaks and the bead looks good put the dang sealant in and go for a 10 mile ride staying close to home. It will seal, it will work.

ccooper

I have had no problems mounting the Schwalbe Pro One tubeless on my Campagnolo Eurus aluminum wheels. Only minimum effort with tire levers needed, and inflated with a simple hand pump.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Even LBS and Schwable customer service stumped. I stuck some tubes in the now for hopes of them maybe conforming to the shape.
They do, however fit nicely into the front fork with plenty of room - at 100 psi.
I have not ridden them yet - but have plans to this weekend if the weather holds. Will post my results and will be comparing them to 3 other wheelsets all the GT4000Sii and latex tubes!

Larry, this is what works for me. I'm 5'9.5" and 168 pounds. I still have probably 5 pounds to go before I'm at my ideal college wrestling weight. You might already be doing this, but if not, here are some ideas to consider.

Lose 0.5 to 1 pound per week max. Weigh in every day and average your weight for 5 or 7 days on a spreadsheet graph to smooth it out so you can see the trend and eat more if necessary. Don't starve so much that you get burning hunger - that can cause a whole season of intestinal distress on long or hard rides. Ride 12 to 20 hours per week. That's so many calories that you can eat a lot, gain power, and still burn off fat. Eat a protein shake and a banana for breakfast. Eat a big superfood lunch smoothie of skim milk, protein powder, walnuts, cranberries, blueberries, sunflower seeds, yogurt, spinach, kale, tangerine, and any other fruit you want. The greens are good for increasing your nitric oxide. Eat a dinner of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and lean meats. Stay away from processed food as much as possible. Never eat fried foods. Lay off the saturated fats. Drink strong, decaf coffee to help with rehydration in addition to getting health benefits. This diet is also good for optimal health, not just dropping bodyweight and increasing power output. But since you are already so powerful, you should optimize your nutrient intake to push your power output higher. Just some ideas for consideration.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Holy guacamole!! - 58 Kg for 170cm - last time I weighed <127 lbs) I was about 11 years old! Even at 160 lbs, I am not considered fat or overweight. You probably can't ride in anything higher than 25kph of wind, or it will blow you off the rode.
I am differently built than you. From photos I would say that You are kayaker not cyclist. I have light bones, narrow shoulders etc. And I have half years.
I haven't got much photos of myself. This one is from biathlon competition from this season.
12474088_901247006661922_7319397774040485827_o.jpg

DavidCH

Matej , team secret, don't compare yourself to anyone. All that matters is how you are to your Self. Sure eat well. You wont go far wrong with Joe's recommendation. What's probably more important is setting yourself some realistic goals and when you achieve them, treat yourself to something. Perhaps a new pair of cycling gloves. Or even socks. Some of the pictures I have seen on the forum looks like some of the bikers use compression socks.

The first sentence sounds conflicting but its the best attitude to have as it will always allow you to concentrate on your PB and it will allow you to feel like number One.

DavidCH

at least is will be closer to looking this mean
I just love the crossing swords transfer, it would be great to get an extra transfer and put them on the side of the bike as well (so a bit higher up). After all that's mainly what you see in every photo.

Last edited:

LarryOz

I am differently built than you. From photos I would say that You are kayaker not cyclist. I have light bones, narrow shoulders etc. And I have half years.
I haven't got much photos of myself. This one is from biathlon competition from this season.
Matěj,
You are one "lean-mean-xcountry-skiing-machine!!" You look great and healthy!
Yes, we are built differently, but apparently have the same passion for endurance fun.
With you lighter weight you require less watts to go the same speed as others (like m) who are heavier!
And yes, I do some kayaking, but just during the summer for fun with my wife (she can out paddle me any day. haha), and I probably carry a significant poundage in my chest and arms.
I do very minimal upper body weights (just 30min 3 times a week) just to have core strength, not to build mass.
I must have the big boned frame or something. haha