Vendetta versus Silvio on less-than-ideal road surfaces

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Larry, this is what works for me. I'm 5'9.5" and 168 pounds. I still have probably 5 pounds to go before I'm at my ideal college wrestling weight. You might already be doing this, but if not, here are some ideas to consider.

Lose 0.5 to 1 pound per week max. Weigh in every day and average your weight for 5 or 7 days on a spreadsheet graph to smooth it out so you can see the trend and eat more if necessary. Don't starve so much that you get burning hunger - that can cause a whole season of intestinal distress on long or hard rides. Ride 12 to 20 hours per week. That's so many calories that you can eat a lot, gain power, and still burn off fat. Eat a protein shake and a banana for breakfast. Eat a big superfood lunch smoothie of skim milk, protein powder, walnuts, cranberries, blueberries, sunflower seeds, yogurt, spinach, kale, tangerine, and any other fruit you want. The greens are good for increasing your nitric oxide. Eat a dinner of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and lean meats. Stay away from processed food as much as possible. Never eat fried foods. Lay off the saturated fats. Drink strong, decaf coffee to help with rehydration in addition to getting health benefits. This diet is also good for optimal health, not just dropping bodyweight and increasing power output. But since you are already so powerful, you should optimize your nutrient intake to push your power output higher. Just some ideas for consideration.

Thanks Joe, I am basically on a similar diet as what you have stated. Some call it "primal'. IKam basically staying away from any sugar and anything processed. Low carbs - about 50 grams a day, and about as much meat, veggies, nuts, etc as I want. I am also doing something called intermittent fasting - so I am riding in the morning after fasting since 6pm, but that I don't eat until after 10am - lunch at 2pm, and dinner before 6. I am also just cycling under my aerobic range right now (~130bmp) to build some endurance.

LarryOz

You guys are killing me. It's not that big of a task. If it doesn't hold air chances are good the valve stem tape hole is the culprit. Two wraps of tape the correct width with all the bubbles pressed out. If it still leaks and the bead looks good put the dang sealant in and go for a 10 mile ride staying close to home. It will seal, it will work.
You need to come to my place for a visit Hardy - I have tried and done everything that you have said and shown (and more) - there is just something about my setup that just is not working - or I am brain dead (which is a distinct possibility after inhaling all those sealant fumes!)
The tires I have will just not spread out towards the rim for contact on both edge at the same time, and the rim and tires are compatible widths. I could put 1 gallon of sealant in and it would all just leak out. LBS did it too - what a mess!
For now - I got tubes in them.
Road around my track last night.
The Pro Ones (with latex tubes, mounted on 86mm CF rims) where impressively fast, as they matched the speed per wattage as my tri-spoke wheels with Conti GP4000Sii with latex tubes. Less than 1 second difference after 4 miles.
More testing this weekend.

LarryOz

I am sorry for my English. My age is simply half of yours, I am 28.
Matěj, no need to apologize. I figured it was either that "you where 1/2 my age", our that you meant to say " I have half ears", which did not seem possible! :)
Many languages are like that - saying something in a different way for instance in English we would say: "I am 28 years old", but in Spanish they say: "Yo tengo 28 anos", which literally means: "I have 28 years".
In the finally analysis, I think English is the odd language, and probably because of that slightly harder to master if you grew up with anything else.
Anyway, your English is wonderful, much better than my Czech, haha!
Oh, as far as being half my age - you have the benefit there - because don't you know that with each year get older, you get wiser and faster. You have many more years to get faster than I do, seeing as I am an old man already!

Last edited:

quickbeam

sanger is aussie lingo for a sandwich which is sliced bread with filling. i think you crazy americans call em biscuits lol
Actually, I think we call them a roll or a bun. A biscuit generally just has something on top, I associate that with the British and southern cooking (biscuits and gravy).

(not sure if this belongs in that other thread, but that would involve more work)

edit: Okay, I looked it up, it looks like sanger can be any kind of sandwich, made from anything from hot dog buns to croissants to full slices of bread.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
When I lived in Perth, I had something called a steak burger. It was a thick piece of lean steak with plenty of salad and relish. You Ozzies know how to do it. I use to do 4 hours of windsurfing down at Freo and I was after that; completely knackered.

Afterwards, I would just feel the energy come back up whilst I watched the Pelicans looking at me. (Now I am a vegetarian but I do eat a little fish and can't believe I did such a thing). LOL