Vendetta vs others

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Is this generally acceptable?
Larry had a bad streak of crashes training and racing lately and was be self referential and self deprecating.

I don't think anyone here is riding with fear after the first 100 miles unless they are doing 40mph+ down hill

Larry races his bikes. He won this year's Calvin's Challenge 12 hour. At the Assault on Mount Mitchell he won KOM honors on one descent at well in excess of 50 mph. There's video of both in other threads. Riding any bike on a mountain descent at over 50 mph should induce a respectful sense of fear.

My personal experience on my V20 is that she's the fastest bike I've ever ridden. That speed takes some getting used to. But I'm acclimating well and love the bike. I'd qualify my feelings as more respect than fear.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I have been riding a year now on both Vendetta and Silvio with over 10,000 miles to date and none of that with fear from the bikes handling and speed. The only fear I have is from crazy unnecessary close passes by simi-rigs and cars, or the occasional deer x-ing. Other than that, the Vendetta handles twisty roads like a Porsche, and is amazingly forgiving over uneven surfaces. Very very fun at speeds over 40 mph, extreamly solid and connected to the road.

KiwiGuy

Perhaps someone could chime in with their experiences of the Vendetta compared to a CA2, M5CHR or similar bent. I would be interested in other's thoughts.

Hi Roy

I may be able to help you in an indirect manner with your query.

You may recall you were kind enough to correspond with me by PM on BROL some time ago to answer some of my questions regarding your Apache. I also communicated with several other Apache owners and noticed some trends in their responses which enabled me to conclude that an Apache wasn't for me.

That left a short list of the M5CHR and the Vendetta. I admit that I was drooling over the prospect of a M5CHR fitted with a rail gun seat. Fortunately I was able to track down two people on BROL who own both bikes, and another who has access to, and experience with, both. Their experiences are instructive. The two guys who own both now almost exclusively ride their Vendetta. Their stated reasons are:

#1. The Vendetta out climbs the M5CHR.

#2. The Vendetta is more manoevrable.

#3. The Vendetta is more mechanically efficient, with a substantially stiff front end.

The third guy rides an M5CHR and his son rides a Vendetta. Both are talented riders. Although he is highly complimentary of the CHR, he thinks that the Vendetta is the best climbing recumbent - maybe by some margin.

Let me know if you'd like to communicate directly with these three guys. I can provide their details BROL details to you.

Kind regards...

super slim

Zen MBB Master
How much do you think the tiller steering on the M5 effects the rid-ability?

Even with all that Carbon, the Vendetta STILL has a stiffer power train using simple Aluminium?
It says a lot about how good the Cruzbike design is!!!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Riding a V20 at speed is not for a beginner. (Riding ANY bike at speed is not for a beginner)

There is skill involved and every bike is different and behaves differently at different speeds and in different ways. So training, nerve, and common sense are critical.

That said, I feel safer at speed on my V than any other recumbent I have ridden since 2005, save for my ICE trike of course. ;-)

Jeremy S

Dude
I go back and forth between my Silvio (for longer rides) and a DF (for quick hops around town). Going downhill scares me more on the DF (because I'm face first), bumpy roads scare me more on the Silvio, and cars scare me on both.

I've only had my Silvio for a few weeks. I have a 30 mph speed limit sign at the bottom of a decline (I won't call it hill to avoid offending real hills) that I've been trying to beat for a couple of years. I've gotten close on the Trek, Rocket, and Magnum but not quite there - 28, 29, but not 30. On the Silvio, when I push it on this bumpy downhill, I get wobbly so I can't get above 26 without doing a "Whoa, Nelly" and coasting for a bit to put her back under control. It's better than when I started, but I'm still in the dewobbling phase I guess.

Despite the fact that I still haven't quite got it, I've beaten personal bests that I set on a 19 pound carbon fiber Trek on nearly every segment I've ever ridden.