Video Editor Recommendations

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Please recommend some video editing software. I would like to edit AVI file on a Mac. What do you guys use and recommend?

SamP

Guru
If all you want to do is make cuts, give Avidemux a try.

[added later} As for editing, it's pretty much a cuts only editor with some filters, but it can read and write almost any audio/video format you are likely to encounter, since it uses a number of open source libraries for decoding and encoding video.

[even more added] If your final video is NOT to be AVI, you might want to simply convert the AVI into something more convenient for whatever video editing software you decide to use. Avidemux works pretty well for that, I've heard that Handbrake is popular on Mac.

If you need more than a simple cuts editor, I've just discovered that there is a free version of Lightworks, a professional video editor.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
AVI tend to be a pain; more so on the Mac.

The first thing to do is get Quicktime Pro; the license is cheap and you can then use that to trim and merge video files with ease; huge time saver. In to that you add Flip4Mac the free codec version to deal with windows media files, the free Divix codec for AVI, and lastly get the Perian codec http://perian.org for everything else weird Technically the Perian project has been shutdown but it still works, in-spite of the Yosemite warnings it will work. That all costing about $80 for the pro version and gives you the quick and dirty tools to get out of trouble. If QT can't play a file with those codecs then you use the free
Video Moneky to convert from format X to MP4

To do the heavy editing. iMovie + VirbEdit should be fine for most everything. The challenge with iMovie is you have to google often as it can do a ton but it's all hidden in dumb keyboard-fu and mouse-fu actions. Out grow those and it's really final-cut or Premeire and the learning curve hits.

Last piece of the puzzle is learning how to output the stuff at the correct quality levels; that becomes more art than science.

Rat Rider

I like iMovie, but it can be a little like an Easter egg hunt to do things that should be more intuitive.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I like iMovie, but it can be a little like an Easter egg hunt to do things that should be more intuitive.
yes there is far too much "iMovie-Fu" to that product. All the new apple stuff has become far too dumbed down on the interface catering to that lowest common denominator.