Wabbit ears

brokemyback

My wife has scraped me off the pavement and carted me off to the hospital too many times. So she gets to be the judge for what's visible to cars, and what's not. My black headrest and stationary helmet did not pass. You can't even see bright shoes moving from the rear. I had to get creative. I cut up an old wind jacket and stitched it into a new bright colored headrest sock. Then cut off the arms and made, um...wabbit ears. They're bright, and they move around. Wife gave them thumbs up. I got to go for a ride. That's a win, win. What do you think?

jond

Zen MBB Master
watched it again and i am going to copy your idea. for on road viz just magic. great idea big ears. keep em coming.

and thanks

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I played the video 4 times. Yep and totally agree it makes you more visible. I had a similar idea of creating a kite in the shape of a windsock that would extend itself from a gravity weight from the seat post. But I love your simplicity and it works marvellously.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I've got a florescent yellow strap on the back of my helmet that I use for attaching my light. It is about a foot too long so I get a similar effect (although my strap is not as wide, so probably not as visible).

Flashing lights really help, too. :)

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
This is better than nothing, but it is really small. I would prefer colorfull clothes, in black you are nearly invisible, colorfull helmet (I bought Poc Octal Avip for this purpose) and flashing lights.
I personaly don't like anything that just flaps in the wind on my bike. But I like idea of hi-viz headrest.

hurri47

A motorist behind you will only see the back of your seat

Your seat must be a lot wider than mine. I typically wear bright orange shirts, and once when I asked a guy if my bike flag was flying OK, he replied, "I don't know. I can't see anything past your shirt."

-Dan