Wahoo KickR

Kerry Kerr

I am ready to order the Wahoo KickR. Any obstacles or advise for setting up with wide gear range, Im running a 11-42 rear cassette.

Thanks
kk

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
If doing Zwift simulations. For indoors an 11-32 or 11-36 should be enough for Grades that the Kickr can simulate; up to 14%. I haven't heard of anyone doing an 11-42 but can't think of any interference.
If just training you'll be doing "ERG" mode and shifting become unnecessary as you just leave it in the gear with the straightest chain line 90% of the time.

With a KickrV2 you have to remove the handle from the kickr to cleanly mount the V20. Two screws removed should do it

If getting wheel off; it usually makes the most sense to leave the cassette on the trainer.

Kerry Kerr

Thanks Ratz, I guess what I should have asked is, since Im using a 11/42 cassette, will I need to adjust the B screw on the derailleur with the Wahoo each time I put it on trainer?

ratz

Thanks Ratz, I guess what I should have asked is, since Im using a 11/42 cassette, will I need to adjust the B screw on the derailleur with the Wahoo each time I put it on trainer?
Depends on the size differential between the road cassette and the trainer cassette. I can usually get away with just adjusting the derailleur pull.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
If doing Zwift simulations. For indoors an 11-32 or 11-36 should be enough for Grades that the Kickr can simulate; up to 14%. I haven't heard of anyone doing an 11-42 but can't think of any interference.
If just training you'll be doing "ERG" mode and shifting become unnecessary as you just leave it in the gear with the straightest chain line 90% of the time.

With a KickrV2 you have to remove the handle from the kickr to cleanly mount the V20. Two screws removed should do it

If getting wheel off; it usually makes the most sense to leave the cassette on the trainer.
Brutha Ratz, I have a Silvio 2.0+ and I would like to purchase and use it with the new Kickr. Are you aware of any fitment issues? I'm asking based upon your comments above. Thanks as always for you insights. :cruzbike:

Last edited:

ratz

Brutha Ratz, I have a Silvio 2.0+ and I would like to purchase and use it with the new Kickr. Are you aware of any fitment issues? I'm asking based upon your comments above. Thanks as always for you insights. :cruzbike:

You may have remove the handle as well. similar clearance issue' other than that it just works.

Kerry Kerr

Ratz, should the KickR be close with my wattage outputs and cadence as I am on the road? For example, I can average 190 watts hr, 97 cadence , and hr 145 and average 20 mph, but on the KickR, 1/2 of those readings. I've talked with them (Wahoo) several times but can't get it right. I think the brake is too heavy, Ive done the advanced spin down,had them monitor on line but still seems incorrect.

If I use Zwift, same results. Ideas?

Bill K

Guru
I have a Neo so can't help with the kickr, but there is lots of good info here (including user issues with power accuracy):
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/08/wahoo-fitness-kickr2-2016-new-trainer.html

Also you could try recording both Ant+ and bluetooth (record to a Garmin as well as Zwift on a mac/pc) to see if there is an interference issue.
Ant+ uses the same frequency band as some wifi channels. If you are getting lots of data dropouts (a common problem) power readings will be low.
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201802644-Device-Dropouts

ratz

Ratz, should the KickR be close with my wattage outputs and cadence as I am on the road? For example, I can average 190 watts hr, 97 cadence , and hr 145 and average 20 mph, but on the KickR, 1/2 of those readings. I've talked with them (Wahoo) several times but can't get it right. I think the brake is too heavy, Ive done the advanced spin down,had them monitor on line but still seems incorrect.

If I use Zwift, same results. Ideas?

Remove the cassette.
There's a hex nut that holds the free hub to the unit.
Dollars to Donuts it's too tight.

It should be less then finger tight. You can tell it's too tight if the cassette doesn't back spin at all.

Reinstall everything and do an advanced spin down.

Kerry Kerr

Remove the cassette.
There's a hex nut that holds the free hub to the unit.
Dollars to Donuts it's too tight.

It should be less then finger tight. You can tell it's too tight if the cassette doesn't back spin at all.

Reinstall everything and do an advanced spin down.

Thanks!

ratz

YESSS! He bees the man!!

Cool. The nut exists for compatibility with 9, 10 and 11 speed, it's mostly a cheap adjustable "end stop" very confusing if you don't know it's suppose to be loose. A real wheel doesn't have such problems.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Is there a substantial difference between the 2014 Kickr version offered on their website and the 2017? (besides price)