Want to ride across the USA with an ultralight setup. Is the Silvo up for the job?

Venkman

Hello all! My name is Rob and let me give you a little background.

3 years ago when I turned 40 I decided I wanted to ride the ACA southern Tier route across the USA. I started in March and went East to West. I know about the jetstream but the general concensus wat that on the southern route no matter what you do you will get 50/50 headwinds and tailwinds. I rode for 20 days in which 17 were headwinds. Every flag looked like this survey marker and I was going left.
flag_01.jpg  width:779px

My bike was a steel touring frame and loaded up enough to not be light by any means. Beyond that I felt like I was a parachute the entire time I rode. My upright position and panniers made walking seem faster.

bike_01.jpg height:658px

Now I know that bad luck with headwinds is one thing but man oh man did I daydream of being more aero out there. I stopped halfway though as I was running out of vacation time and not accomplish my goal. I decided to try it again in the future with my road bike and an ultralight bag setup like this guy. http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/

Anyway, what are your thoughts on biking across the USA in 40 days on a Silvo? I want to carry a sleeping bag and Tyvek bivy and way less gear than before. At least half the nights will be in hotels.

I just want to be as slippery as possible. If I can get a few more MPH with the same effort I would be ecstatic.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I would prefer the Silvio v1.5

The latest iteration of the Silvio (v2.0) is even more performance-oriented than the previous versions. I would consider it a pure race bike, whereas the Silvio v1.x was more adaptable to light duty touring in that it had accomodations for a rear rack.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
The latest iteration of the

The latest iteration of the Silvio (v2. [Innocent] is even more performance-oriented than the previous versions. I would consider it a pure race bike, whereas the Silvio v1.x was more adaptable to light duty touring in that it had accomodations for a rear rack.

I'll disagree with you here, Andrew. Since you can get a rack on the Silvio 2.0, I don't see an issue with it.

Yes, it's more reclined, but that's a positive for a lot of people - I find the angle of the original Silvio (as replicated on my bikes) as too upright. Plus many might prefer to be able to use disc brakes for touring.

Because of the suspension, either Silvio will make such a trip much more comfortable (not to mention that most people find 'bents in general more comfortable for long rides than DF bikes).

Cheers,
Charles

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Rack Mounts?

Charles,

I don't believe there are rack mounts on the 2.0. Can you reference an image showing the installation of a rear rack? I'm not saying that it cannot be done, I am just doubtful as to how well an off-the-shelf product would work without modification.

Thanks!

Tuloose

Guru
When I ordered my Silvio 2.0

When I ordered my Silvio 2.0 there was a rack on the accessories list.
I ordered the rack but was told that it does not fit the 2.0 for the reason given above.
I imagine they have removed the rack as an available option for the 2.0 by now?
Have you thought about using a trailer?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I don't believe there are

I don't believe there are rack mounts on the 2.0. Can you reference an image showing the installation of a rear rack? I'm not saying that it cannot be done, I am just doubtful as to how well an off-the-shelf product would work without modification.

You sir, are correct. (Whoops.
embarrassed_smile.gif
) I was thinking of Ivan's Silvio, but he mounted panniers with no rack:
IMG_2226.JPG height:816px; width:1088px

That being said, my answer still stands. Using p-clamps and what not, it should be easy to securely fasten a rack to the back (although one would need to be careful if you want both disc brakes in back and a rack).

Here, for example, is a rack that attaches largely to the axle:

YR-EX1U-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

And here's another solution that attaches using pclamps:

72-37-208.jpg

The Silvio 1.x (as far as I know, but Andrew can answer this) doesn't have rack mounts either (although I know there are Silvio 1.Xs with racks). The biggest difference between the two are the reclined seat angle and disc break mounts. Anybody who isn't interested in those two things is better off with a 1.x as they are much cheaper (and still very nice bicycles).

Cheers,
Charles

Nanda Holz

Just get some Radical side bags

https://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/products/recumbent-bags/side-panniers

You might need a minimum bar or wire between the hub and head rest to keep the bags out of the rear wheel.

Venkman

Thanks for the replies. I

Thanks for the replies. I have been thinking about the area behind the seat pan and rider and how to not only fit storage in there but to smooth the airflow at the same time. I know I am putting the cart ahead of the horse but here is something I whipped up in Photoshop to show my thoughts. I don't have a top view or rear view with a rider so you have to imagine the shape.

cruzbike-silvio-sock-01.jpg height:535px;

Face blurred to protect the innocent.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Tailbox for storage and

Tailbox for storage and aerodynamics - That's not a crazy idea at all.

I guess the question is how much total storage do you need and can you fit it all in the tailbox?

frankvl

I just made panniers like

I just made panniers like that: http://cruzbike.com/diy-coroplast-panniers-about-100-liters

Mine are not aerodynamically shaped at the back or nicely finished off at all, but already feel much more aerodynamic than a normal pannier on one side, even though I ride rather slow. In case you're not already familiar with it, coroplast is excellent stuff for this job (+ zipties, with the part sticking out on the inside). Lighter than carbon fiber because it's super thin and corrugated, and cheap so there is plenty of room for experimentation. It's also very slick; you can't even glue it without treatment. Probably good to take the thicker version of coroplast if you carry more than 5 kg. This material is common for election and for-sale signs.

Venkman

My old panniers were great

My old panniers were great but the drag was huge. My strategy this time is lighter, less, and streamlined.

Realistically what is an average all day ride speed that some of you have achieved on a new Silvio of Vendetta? I'd love to go faster than faster than 14 mph for the hours I ride.

Ivan

Guru
Don't check the forum for a

Don't check the forum for a few days and look what happens to the "innocent"!!

I had to Google what coroplast was but it seems a great idea if it was made streamlined. Another amateur aerodynamics attempt like Jim's?? If they covered the rear of the bike from the panniers/radical bags that would be super.

The nature of the Silvio 2 frame with removable seat makes it really easy to strap bags on it. For taller people the headrest is out and you can Velcro strap a bag to it too. I know have a large Topeak saddle bag that holds 2L to it. I think for lightweight touring there is no need for a rack if you play around with strapping things on in ways that don't interfere with the wheels.