Water Bottle Mounts on Silvio 2

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I use a Camelbak Unbottle

I use a Camelbak Unbottle that I strap to the back of my Sofrider and Mantis. Except being the wrong color for the Silvio, I think this should work for you guys as well. It's simple, holds a lot of water, and is (relatively) cheap.

1344193-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Camelback?

Charles...I can not seem to effectively drink from these things. When I need a drink, no matter how hard I draw, I get nothing more tthan a sparse trickle. And then I am out of breath from sucking so hard! What's the secret?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Charles...I can not seem to

Charles...I can not seem to effectively drink from these things. When I need a drink, no matter how hard I draw, I get nothing more tthan a sparse trickle. And then I am out of breath from sucking so hard! What's the secret?

The only secret I know if is that you have to keep the bottom down. that is, where the hose is attached to the bag. In the case of the Unbottle, it's attached at the little zippered pocket at the bottom. Keeping the wide mouth opening up is probably sufficient.

I can imagine that if you laid the bag horizontally, you might run into trouble for this reason. Just like you need the tip of your straw underwater, you need the bottom of the tube underwater as well. In this case, however, you can't see it nearly as easily as a cup of water.

Not only do I like this bladder because it's easy to use, but it holds a lot of water (100 oz) and keeps it pretty cold. You can get (or make) insulating covers for the tube. I use this badge holder to clip the tube to my shirt/jacket so that I'm not coupled too tightly to the bottle (I can stand up and forget to unclip and all is good).

Vargas

Badge holder

The badge holder is a great idea! I bought an expensive magnetic clip to hold the tube :(.
How come I don't have this great, simple and cheap ideas?

counterpoint

bought the badge holder instantly

Too bad I didn't see this last week. After a longer trip from Golden to Boulder and back I stopped at a bike shop and bought the Camelback version - but it's crap/garbage/useless: one end is an alligator clip (or crocodile clip for you Aussies) but 1) it does not bite well and tends to fall off and 2) it takes two hands to open or shut it, so forget about doing it while riding and 3) it costs $10.

Ivan

Guru
BentBierz, my improved water

BentBierz, my improved water bottle setup addresses all the things you want. By using the Minoura Saddle cage adaptor http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CJXE1K/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?pc_redir=1385480909 and mounting it UPSIDE DOWN the bottle is situated high enough so as to allow My large Topeak saddlebag to fit under the headrest. I changed my bottle cage to the Lezyne Flow which allows me to strap my bike light onto the cage itself. It all lines up nicely vertical (the perspective of the pic makes it look like the light is pointing down which it's not) and as a bonus, the pump holder can hold either my pump or my LED flag! :)

photo+5.JPG height:599px;

Tuloose

Guru
Andrew, I don't want to be

Andrew, I don't want to be hashing over the obvious here but when you mention that you are unable to get more than a trickle out of your Camelbak you do realize that you have to bite the valve with your teeth in order to open it?
As i said, my apologies if I'm wrong but I used Camelbaks for many years when I lived in FL and I never had a problem with sucking the fluid out of them.
Now that I have moved to the less humid & cooler climate of the PNW my Camelbaks rarely get used.

BBL

Other Uses for Water Bottle Holders

I too have mounted two water bottle holders behind my Silvio 2 seat back. It just seems a natural place to store stuff. Although, most of the time I don't use them to hold water. I store other stuff back there. Without fenders the tires kick up a lot of road dirt that seems to get lodged inside the drinking nipple. I used to use tennis ball cans to hold tools, first aid, tube, etc. Recently I've discovered pickle ball cans. They are bigger, big enough to hold a light jacket, leg warmers, a small hand pump, and the like.

WB%20Pic%201.jpg

I prefer mounting my water bottle(s) on the boom. I know it adds weight forward, but it doesn't bother me - not nearly as bad as carrying my kid sister on the handle bars when we were kids.

The picture below compares the size of different stuff that will fit in a water bottle holder. The pickle ball can is a tight fit, though. My under seat bottle holders are the aluminum type. They do a better job with loads heavier than the typical filled water bottle.

WB%20Pic%202.jpg

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
There should be enough room

There should be enough room to mount a bottle cage behind the seat at its narrow part, as that was a design criterion.

bradwoodbr

Camelback

"Charles...I can not seem to effectively drink from these things. When I need a drink, no matter how hard I draw, I get nothing more than a sparse trickle. And then I am out of breath from sucking so hard! What's the secret?"

Here are some solutions that work for me in no particular order.

Flow
increase the size of the air equalizer hole in the cap. Do this gradually until the required flow is reached.

Chew Valve end
Bite down gently to just open it. After mine split from longtime use, I took it off. I know grip the valve with my teeth to open and close it.
If the valve breaks, gently blow down the tube after drinking and keep the end higher than the top of the camelback bladder.
When I stopped for a rest on one ride, I accidently let the chew valve fall down into the chain. The taste of chain oil did not make me ride any faster. :)

Tube Clips
I used to break mine as I would forget to unclip before getting off my bike (recumbent).
The tube now goes through the headrest bracket or between me and the headrest, over my shoulder and into the top of my jersey. Even if I wear a T-shirt, I can still tuck the end of the tube under the collar and pull it out whenever thirsty.

Make your own.
Paul from Australia shared his method for making a PET bottle into a 'camelback' with me. Here is a brief rundown of it.
All PET bottles have the same size cap. Take any size drink bottle and put two holes in the cap. One tiny one for air and ream out a larger one for the tube. Make sure the tube is a tight fit. They can be off centre. Cut the end of the tube at an angle. Push the tube through the tube hole in the cap so that when it is on the bottle it is at the bottom. Some PETs do fit in bottle cages. Put a clean old woollen sock around them to keep them cool.
I made two caps and they are still working after more than three years use.
On long (more than 100km), my favourite size bottle is a 1.5 litre that sits in one side of my seat back. For short rides (less than 100km), I use standard bottles in cages.

PS For Hygiene, regularly clean the tube, bottles or camelback. I use Polident, denture cleaner for the tubes and bags.

Cheers

Rposar

Behind The Seat??

BBL,

do you have any problems with the water bottles staying in the holders, with the low seat angle?

BBL

Water Bottle Security on Silvio 2 Seat Back

I have not had a problem with cargo falling out of water bottle mounts on the seat back of the Silvio 2. I say cargo because I have never carried water bottles back there. I have carried pickle ball cans filled with whatever. I just weighed the loaded pickle ball can (not with pickles). It weighs 1.38 lbs. A 21 oz. Podium Chill Camelbak water bottle with water weighs 1.50 lbs. The 25 oz Camelbak Podium Big Chill with water weighs 1.88 lbs. Although the pickle ball can is lighter, it is a little more cantilevered than either of the water bottles. I stuck the large water bottle in the water bottle holder just now. It seems pretty secure. My guess is that it would be secure enough, even on very rough roads. Still, I have not tested this.

Please note that I am using the aluminum version of the Zefal water bottle holders in this position. I chose aluminum here because it is a bit stiffer than the plastic holders. I do use the plastic holders on the boom. I prefer them for mounting on the boom, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is because the design of its base is ideal for cable tie attachment, whereas the aluminum version has a not-so-handy base design.

If you think pickle ball cans are weird, I just stumbled upon a post by David Byrne. A year or so ago, David did a 29,000 mile world tour on a Sofrider with his wife on a Quest. Now David, is doing a "Mississippi River Trail" tour on a Quest. Mounted on his Quest, under each side of his seat are two, 5 gallon buckets (Radical Designs - eat your heart out), in which he stores, well, pretty much anything he wants! You can read about his tour, still in progress, on the "Crazy Guy on a Bike" website. You gotta love this guy!

By the way, I really like the Radical Designs under the seat bag and will probably be buying one soon.

Have a happy Thanksgiving! Wish it was a little warmer here in Virginia, so I could do some riding in better conditions.

Drew

I believe it is a guy named

I believe it is a guy named David Byne not the artist from NYC.

BentBierz

"http://www.crazyguyonabike.c

"http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=350519&v=6f"

Won't be judgmental...will only say that I think I'll pass on this option.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
psychokiller

I was thinking of David Byrne of the Talking Heads. Why not? Bob Weir has been known to be an avid cyclist too.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
 David Byrne of the talking

David Byrne of the talking heads is an avid cyclist.
He just doesn't ride a Cruzbike (as far as I know).

BentBierz

Ivan said...

"BentBierz, my improved water bottle setup addresses all the things you want. By using the Minoura Saddle cage adaptor http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CJXE1K/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?pc_redir=1... mounting it UPSIDE DOWN the bottle is situated high enough so as to allow My large Topeak saddlebag to fit under the headrest. I changed my bottle cage to the Lezyne Flow which allows me to strap my bike light onto the cage itself. It all lines up nicely vertical (the perspective of the pic makes it look like the light is pointing down which it's not) and as a bonus, the pump holder can hold either my pump or my LED flag! [Smile]"
Hi Ivan,

I like how you have the Topeak saddlebag mounted...looks pretty nice.

I plan to purchase a Radical Design Solo Racer and will hopefully be able to carry my CamelBak Unbottle with it. If that doesn't work on the back of the seat, I may move the Solo Racer down as side panniers and purchase an Angletech AeroPod or a Radical Design Solo Aero attached to my head rest. If I go the second route, I will attach my dyno-driven B&M light to the back of the bag (will probably run wiring internal to bag with a connector plug...still hashing this out). I will probably then go with the water bottle mounting you have.

If all of the above fails, I'll be left with riding, mouth fully open, on rainy days only!