What cycle computer for T50?

Brad R

I just failed with a wireless CatEye Strada computer.

I put in on and it worked for about 5o feet.

I took it back to REI on the bike and the tech couldn't get it to work either.

I am not sure if the problem was the distance from the sender to the computer or the long steel stem near the communication path or the distance from the stay to the spokes.

What have you used successfully? Do I need to use a wired computer? Or spend the money for a GPS based unit?

Thanks for your help.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I have a Cateye Strada wireless on my V2/k...it has worked fine for years and years. I recently 'killed' the sending unit by snapping off the sensor arm. I would replace it but I've gotten to where I don't use it...I just track myself with my smartphone and read the results afterwards. On the V20, I want to see realtime data and I use a Wahoo RFLKT.

McWheels

Off the long run
I've not been able to get wireless working on recumbents as the viewing unit it expected to be laying flat on its back, not facing backwards. That seemed to be enough to stop it getting any signal in. Went with a wired one from Ebay, NuoYa005 Red Bike Mini Computer
I'd like it to have a distance of the day function and to show the temperature at the same time as speed, but other than that it's really not bad; backlight when you ask for it, reminders for maintenance, and completely reliable after 2k miles.

Brad R

My Cateye Strada (wireless) has been working fine for 3 years or so, on my Silvio.

It might work on a T50, but we couldn't get it to work in the time I was willing to give it this morning. Can you post a picture that shows where the sender and the computer are on your Silvio?

Jeremy S

Dude
It might work on a T50, but we couldn't get it to work in the time I was willing to give it this morning. Can you post a picture that shows where the sender and the computer are on your Silvio?
Maybe this will help. Probably the Silvio handlebar position puts the head unit at a better angle.
IMG_4227a.jpg

Brad R

Thanks. The distance looks longer, but you don't have a steel riser near the computer between the computer and sender. I wonder if that matters.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
My Strada sensor was mounted down by the pedals (cadence and wheel sensor in one unit). Essentially the same on the V2/k as it would be mounted on the T50. The V2/k has a steel riser, etc. I'll take pix this evening. I never had any problems with it. You may have just gotten a bad unit...or there's something else going on with the T50 that is different than the V2/k.

Brad R

My Strada sensor was mounted down by the pedals (cadence and wheel sensor in one unit). Essentially the same on the V2/k as it would be mounted on the T50. The V2/k has a steel riser, etc. I'll take pix this evening. I never had any problems with it. You may have just gotten a bad unit...or there's something else going on with the T50 that is different than the V2/k.
I thought about that. If I put it on the chai stay there would be less metal in between the sender and receiver.

Jeremy S

Dude
I remember the instructions saying that the back of the unit should point roughly at the sensor. That may be hard to do in the T50 handlebar position, with the bars higher up and farther forward.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
If you have a smart phone then the new Element mini at $99 with the speed sensor included is a great entry unit.

SamP

Guru
If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone you probably have ANT+ support as well as Bluetooth so can use any wireless sensors that don't use a proprietary system. There are some bike computer apps which will take advantage of those sensors. There are a few other phones with ANT+ support and you can use an ANT+ USB dongle if you don't have a phone with it built in (rather inconvenient though).

Brad R

If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone you probably have ANT+ support as well as Bluetooth so can use any wireless sensors that don't use a proprietary system. There are some bike computer apps which will take advantage of those sensors. There are a few other phones with ANT+ support and you can use an ANT+ USB dongle if you don't have a phone with it built in (rather inconvenient though).
I bought a speed and cadence sensor that supports Bluetooth and ANT+. I am going to use it with Cyclemeter on my iPhone.

3WHELZ

Guru
I just purchased Wahoo ELEMNT for my Silvio. So far I am very pleased with it. It may be overkill for a T50, but it has great mapping and the display is very easy to see. I mounted it downward, which eliminates much of the wind resistance.

Brad R

I just purchased Wahoo ELEMNT for my Silvio. So far I am very pleased with it. It may be overkill for a T50, but it has great mapping and the display is very easy to see. I mounted it downward, which eliminates much of the wind resistance.
Good to have a first hand report. Thanks.