What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

Wrapped the bars and trimmed the cables to length. Note to self: I know red bar tape makes the bike faster but next time go with black. It matches the chain grease on my hands better. View attachment 3250
hoyden,
That looks like a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. I had one of those beasts, loved it. Batteries last for days! Now I use a Garmin Edge horizontally (landscape view) for a smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic gps. It also doesn't jab me in the belly when I sit up.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
hoyden,
That looks like a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. I had one of those beasts, loved it. Batteries last for days! Now I use a Garmin Edge horizontally (landscape view) for a smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic gps. It also doesn't jab me in the belly when I sit up.

Garmin Edge comps have a landscape view option? I have a 520 and I've never seen that mentioned.

Today I mounted up a pair of 25mm schwalbe Pro One tires and went tubeless with a 80mm silca tubeless valve stem on the rear 55mm deep rim and 60mm silca tubeless stem on the front 33mm deep rim. Ride quality felt the same as my GP4000s tires with tubes but I wasn't really expecting to feel anything in the first place. I used 30ml of TruckerCo brand Cream Sealant in the tires. Dipped my chain in some fresh wax in preparation for this weekends 200 miler.

hoyden

Yet another reason to wax--no chain grease on your hands goes with anything;)
How does that work? Wax or chain lube gets dirty, dirt gets on fingers when fiddling with the chain, dirt migrates to grips because I never get it completely off my hands.

Getting my s30 ready for the Hub City ride in Elizabethtown, KY on Sat. It is all clean and tuned up. This will be the first test of the newly installed Salsa Woodchipper bars. I will be riding with an Encore and 2 uprights. It will be fun.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
How does that work? Wax or chain lube gets dirty, dirt gets on fingers when fiddling with the chain, dirt migrates to grips because I never get it completely off my hands.
The wax does not attract dirt like other greasy chain lubricants do. It works amazing well at lubricating the chain and keeping dirt free. This is one of those: try it, you will like it, things.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Drilled, tapped and installed a tiny 4mm bolt and O-ring to prevent the forks on the Vendetta from flopping open during maintenance and wheel changes.

5FB7625B-E086-45E3-A2CD-F953121B66A8_zpsjkyqifnl.jpg

2A49B695-2B80-45DE-A4E2-D75294894B73_zpsjok15y26.jpg
Could you just get away with just doing this on the drive chain side?

hoyden

The wax does not attract dirt like other greasy chain lubricants do. It works amazing well at lubricating the chain and keeping dirt free. This is one of those: try it, you will like it, things.
I've glanced over the chain waxing threads with mild interest, that just got a boost. I will put further questions in a related thread. Thanks.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well... It's what I might do to
My Cruzbike today. I just saw a YouTube video about balancing up your wheels by placing a weight on the opposite end of the valve. Is it really as noticeable as that? Guess after balancing my wheels I might even be able to go 200m with no hands.

Well I moved the cadence speed sensor to the back wheel. I have decided to ride without cadence for a while. Now that the mind is trained with suffering, that's obvious by heart rate. I much rather look at heart rate, speed and average speed. I rebalanced both wheels and removed the magnet from the crank. I had stuck a magnet on the front wheel deep rim so I am pleased to remove that. It would have had to be mucking up the aerodynamics. Everything looks much neater so I shall go for a spin tomorrow and see how it feels.

Last edited:

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
When i get home I'll take an unaltered close up of my chain, which currently has over 700 miles on it since the last waxing. I won't cheat and wipe it down first, either ;)
It's overdue for rewaxing, and my plan was(and still is) to put the 'spare' already waxed chain on for tomorrow's century ride (#2...yay!) and just throw this one in the wax and hang it up to dry and have ready.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I'm discovering tubeless, well almost, I'm 1/2 way there for now. About a week ago I noticed a very slight looseness in my front wheel. After much investigation, I discovered it to be in the hub. I've never worn out a wheel yet, or bearings. I'm close to 11k on this wheelset. So instead of doing more investigating, I decided to purchase an inexpensive rear (Cruzbike front) tubebless ready wheel by DT Swiss. Mounting, learning, tips and tricks of mounting road tubebless is a long story for another day. But I did get it done with the help of DT Swiss support. Great support btw. My main reason to go tubeless, is not faster, smoother, or to be cool. Flats, everything else is dark chocolate icing on hot fudge cake. So I took it ( the one tubebless tire) on an easy ride this morning for a shake down. I like it, so I ordered a front wheel, same model to get me by. I plan on going with a high end climbing disc wheelset like industry nine or DT Swiss tubebless wheelset before the end of the year. Coupled with TRP HY/RD Cable-Actuated Hydraulic Disc Brake. I've been wanting to make the change for sometime now, just seems like a no brainier coming from having many many goat head flats, and multiple flats to boot, over the last few months.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I gotta say, I really like my TRP HY/RD brakes. Easy to fit, work great. However...

I used a 160 up front and a 140 in the back. That 140mm disc in the back is simply not up to the task at all. Stomping on that brake is kinda like tossing out a handkerchief-sized drogue chute. It adds a little stability but doesn't do much to slow one down.o_O Yah, it has some serious KE to deal with...but I think I'm going to replace it with a 160mm disc. Should give a better braking balance.

LMT

Put the bike on a direct drive trainer, rides well and feels good. The road to LEL begins now.

LMT

I gotta say, I really like my TRP HY/RD brakes. Easy to fit, work great. However...

I used a 160 up front and a 140 in the back. That 140mm disc in the back is simply not up to the task at all. Stomping on that brake is kinda like tossing out a handkerchief-sized drogue chute. It adds a little stability but doesn't do much to slow one down.o_O Yah, it has some serious KE to deal with...but I think I'm going to replace it with a 160mm disc. Should give a better braking balance.

If this is being fitted to the V20 as a rear brake then will it fit? The 140 rear rotor I have only just fits - and this was after filing off 1mm of the weld on the rear dropouts.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master

I'm used a 160 up front and a 140 in the back. That 140mm disc in the back is simply not up to the task at all. Stomping on that brake is kinda like tossing out a handkerchief-sized drogue chute. It adds a little stability but doesn't do much to slow one down.o_O Yah, it has some serious KE to deal with...but I think I'm going to replace it with a 160mm disc. Should give a better braking balance.
I surprised the 140mm isn't more than adequate. When I had bb7 roads with 160mm's front ant and rear, it seemed overkill especially with the front doing most of the work. Btw, I not a fan of mechanical disc brakes, but did love Shimano full hydraulic's on the Metabike and my mtb, and really like the idea of the TRP hybrid system.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I've glanced over the chain waxing threads with mild interest, that just got a boost. I will put further questions in a related thread. Thanks.

(This may belong in another thread??)

Here is this chain at 700+ miles since waxing. There is road grime there but no grease:
image.jpeg

Wipe once w paper towel--road dirt shows, but again, not greasy and wipes off hands easily and completely:
image.jpeg

This is after backpedaling while holding paper towel wrapped around chain, after 2 towels' worth--cleans up pretty quickly compared to chain grease. Doesn't leave chain tatts:
image.jpeg

hoyden

Fixed first flat after hitting first pothole and having first crash on vendetta. At least I can crash like larry
Hope minimal damage to rider and machine. Now that you have your first scratches on a new bike you can be off to more adventures. Did you fix the flat in the field? My first flat I ended up getting Uber to take me and bike home rather than walk 6 miles.