What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
More tinkering. Reconfigured for an ADEM headrest. I haven't had much difficulty with the OEM headrest except that it is just a tad tall...the back of my helmet rides on top and gets shoved forward. Not uncomfortably...but once I noticed, it became bothersome. After reading and seeing the ADEM headrest, I thought I'd give it a try.
ADEM headrest 1.jpg ADEM headrest 2.jpg ADEM headrest 3.jpg
I thought I'd be really smart and attach it with double-sided tape. Unfortunately, I missed my mark by about 1mm and it is jammed too tight up against the frame underneath...and the damn tape is so agressive, I haven't been able to pry it off!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
That looks good. I had thought about doing that at one point but had not considered double sided tape. You obviously found some monster sticky stuff! I wasn't sure about attaching the adem to the carbon seat w screws, if there was enough room etc. plus i like using the headrest frame to mount lights etc.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Yah, it's the "30lb" Gorilla mounting tape. Intended for permanent applications...:confused: I was really just looking for the old fashioned standard stuff (which has adhesive sort of like masking tape) but when I saw this stuff, my 'overkill' gene took over and...

The good thing is that if this headrest works out (I haven't had it on the road yet), I can simply pick-up the holes in the headrest and drill the seat, install bolts, etc. That way it will be more than permanent. :cool:

Of course, now I have no easy way to mount my rear light or its battery. I'm probably going to fab a rack for behind the seat...using the same mount that the OEM headrest used. I can get 3/4" aluminum tubing locally and Harbor Freight has benders. A weekend with that and I'll have something. I would like to move the Camelbak to a behind-the-head rack but it is 18" long and my cardboard cut-out silhouette/mock-up just doesn't look right on the bike at that length. It may be that the Camelbak stays where it is and I simply create a small mount back there for light and battery.

RAR

Marc, Adem drills holes in the neck rest for mounting the tail light. Where your yellow reflective tape is...the perfect spot...won't compromise the mount.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Marc, Adem drills holes in the neck rest for mounting the tail light. Where your yellow reflective tape is...the perfect spot...won't compromise the mount.
He sells a triangular shaped mount that screws into the two holes under the yellow tape that works for most standard tell lights.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Yes, I know about the holes...bhis bracket won't fit my light. I will use those holes for my own bracket/adapter. Probably just a piece of "L" shaped aluminum with a couple of mounting holes to adapt to the DesignShine light. Or something else...I haven't put on my tail-light mount thinking-cap on yet.

I'll probably yank the tape and replace with some of that fancy 'mo reflectivity' stuff.

Bill K

Guru
More tinkering. Reconfigured for an ADEM headrest. I haven't had much difficulty with the OEM headrest except that it is just a tad tall...the back of my helmet rides on top and gets shoved forward. Not uncomfortably...but once I noticed, it became bothersome. After reading and seeing the ADEM headrest, I thought I'd give it a try.
I also just installed an Adam headrest, inspired by pedlpadl's recent post & picture.
I ended up attaching the headrest element directly to the V20 headrest bar using a couple of TeraCycle 3/4" accessory mounting clamps.
I have only ridden once with it, and it is not as easy to adjust as I like, but I will give it a few more rides.
I like the way you attached it, I may end up doing the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 44

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
@trapdoor2 Have you tested your new configuration? I am curious how much does it flex. And also how do you see road over handlebar.
In this configuration I would be looking exactly thru handlebar. So for me this would be suitable only for racing. But this position should be very aero so suitable for flat Dutch races.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
@trapdoor2 Have you tested your new configuration? I am curious how much does it flex. And also how do you see road over handlebar.
In this configuration I would be looking exactly thru handlebar. So for me this would be suitable only for racing. But this position should be very aero so suitable for flat Dutch races.
I adjusted the headrest to suit me while mounted in riding position...but I haven't ridden it with this headrest yet. As ADEM sez on its website, it isn't really a "headrest", it is a "neck rest". It contacts my neck just about in the middle between my shoulders and head. So...my eye-line is well above the handlebars, I can easily see the bottom-bracket.

Yes, this rest is flexible. I had to do a lot of bending to get it into a comfortable position for me...and it probably will require more bending once I take it out on the road.

The adjustment system is pretty cool...but you need to be a bit of contortionist to adjust it while in the cockpit. Off the bike, it is very easy to adjust back and forth. The problem is that the adjustment movement is limited to a line parallel to the seat back. All of the other "adjusting" is done by bending the aluminum.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I adjusted the headrest to suit me while mounted in riding position...but I haven't ridden it with this headrest yet. As ADEM sez on its website, it isn't really a "headrest", it is a "neck rest". It contacts my neck just about in the middle between my shoulders and head. So...my eye-line is well above the handlebars, I can easily see the bottom-bracket.
Can you take photo of yourself on the bike and photo of what you see from this position, please?
When totaly laying on my shortened headrest I don't see the tube going from handlebar to BB. That is why I am asking such silly questions :)
This will change soon for me because I am installing Thor seat with Ice headrest theese days.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Can you take photo of yourself on the bike and photo of what you see from this position, please?
I'll see what I can do. Miz Diane has many redeeming features...but in the past 30 yrs I've found that she is 'untrainable' as a photographer. :oops::D

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
OK, I took the ADEM headrest out for a spin, knowing full well that many 'adjustments' would be needed. What is 'comfy' sitting static doesn't represent what is 'comfy' under power.

Sure enough, as soon as I got her on the road, I had to pull over and adjust. Rode another 1/4 mile, made another adjustment. Lather, rinse and repeat.

After about 5 miles of this, I stopped at a convieniently shady park-bench next to a large parking lot. This is at the marina on the Tennessee River...and it was packed today. The "Nina" and "Pinta" sailing ships (of Columbus' fame) had made their annual stop and the parking lot was filling up with visitors.

At the bench, I found I could use the bench slats themselves to help me bend the ADEM rest as I needed. Rather nice, really. So, I was fighting it trying to get the pad high enough on my neck. Finally had to make an extra bend in the rest and got the height I was looking for. I'll post pix when I can.

Every time I made a change, I toured the parking lot...back to the bench for more tweaking. Took me a good hour of tweaking to finally get it where I wanted it. This thing is so flexible (especially when a lot of the aluminum strap is exposed) that I had to set the pad further forward than I thought looked 'proper'. I actually have to slip into the seat and push the pad back with my shoulders and then my head. Once in position, very comfy. I'm sure I'll be working on that more. Because I have bent the thing completely out of shape (from original), I may see if ADEM will make a custom one for me to meet my needs. Because the native adjustment is parallel to the plane of the mount (which is attached to the seat), it doesn't move up and down...but parallel to the seat, back and forth. That takes care of one dimension...but not the other.

After getting it 99% right, I took it on a tour of the MUT (which passes thru the Marina). Beautiful fall day today...which meant the MUT was a Zoo; kids, dogs, parents, grandparents. I got a very good 'low speed' training workout on the V20 (plus a good bazillion starts and stops). I got passed at one point by a full-kit DF rider who did not respond to my 'good morning'. I saw him get out of the saddle as he passed me...so I simply cranked it up and at 20 mph, engaged the freewheel, "can you hear me now?" :) His head snapped around and he motioned me past. I said, "I just wanted to see how fast you were going to go." He laughed and turned off on another track.

I put another 15 miles on it before my noon alarm went off. Time to head for home. About a mile from home I heard some strange noises coming from behind my head. Kind of a creaky tearing noise...and then the double-sided tape holding my headrest to my seat failed. Ever try to ride your V20 without a headrest? Not fun, I assure you. I had to walk the last 1/2 mile as my neck muscles were not up to the job!

The rest is currently off and has been re-taped with the Gorilla tape again...but this time it will have 4 bolts too. Not coming off again!

I think this rest is a keeper. Looks good and works well (once adjusted).

Last edited:

Bill K

Guru
I found a new storage option for commuting. Put it on or take it of in 15 seconds flat.
A Revelate Pika bag mounted under the seat.
Here it is sitting on the floor, ready to put on.
IMG_0058.jpg

And here it is 15 seconds later, ready to roll:
IMG_0059.jpg

The rear support is a Hopper Development ucam bracket. It acts like a seatpost stub that the pika seatpost velcro wrap slides over.
The front support is just a strap that loops over the frame and is held in place by a tie wrap.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Left the V at home because on Saturdays 240 mile ride it gave my tremendous knee pain out of nowhere. I rode the Mtb on the road and tourtured my local fast guys group on Sunday with only minor knee pain. Yes I can still beat up the roadies without the aero advantages of the CruzBike but they love me for it because I make I huge hole in the wind. Today I rode the Ridely DF bike and with no knee pain to speak of I cut loose and absolutely destroyed any hope of the group holding my wheel on the 20 min hill climb. It was just an amazing two days after one really long day of pain so I thought I'd share. I thought the knee issues may have stuck around and threatened my 24hr racing effort but it ended up being a false alarm and I'm good to go.

We also just got out first rain over here in CA even if it was just a light sprinkle.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Tested and debugged GoatLink Adapter to See if the RED Etap short cage could handle a 32T cassette.
Answer: Sort of...... with compromises.
IMG_5763.jpg
IMG_5771.jpg IMG_5767.jpg IMG_5761.jpg IMG_5759.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Setup the 40mm, 60mm and 90mm wheels so they can get some break in before the snow flys' don't want to go into Sebring without any road testing ahead of time. Of course had 2 rolls of tubeless rim tape the wrong width. Ordered 19mm needed 25 to get full coverage; now I'll have to redo 3 full wheels; plus the 2 wheels on back order; that'll be another few hours when I should be out riding. Why do parts always arrive on the first nice day in the last 20 days. Will be nice to pick the wheel combo for the winds since they range from 7-25mph around here in a 3 day span.

IMG_5783.jpg
IMG_5782.jpg
IMG_5788.jpg IMG_5787.jpg
IMG_5785.jpg

I made a storage box with coroplast, zip ties, and caulking. It's not nearly as cool as Jason's or Rick's http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/carbon-fiber-fun.10937/page-6 but it does the job. A spare tube, patch kit, pump, levers, tools, rain jacket & pants, and a helmet cover all fit easily under the seat without catching much air. The Battle Lake bag on the left side in place of water bottle cage was made for tandems and modified to fit there. I might replace it with something like Moose's pockets for a sleeker fit.
V box1.JPGV box 2.JPGV box 3.JPGV box 4.JPGV box 0.JPG

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I received my Gemini "Duo" http://gemini-lights.com/products/duo headlight yesterday. Took all of a minute to hang on the V20. Charged up the battery pack and...wow! Very bright light with a remote control switch that works perfectly. I have initially mounted this on the chainstay cross-member...but will remove it to the fin when the mount for that arrives. I went for the 2-cell battery, I'll probably not need more than an hour of 'solid' light on any given ride...the rest will be blinky, using less power, etc. When I get the DS-500 rear light re-mounted, I'll be done with lighting!