What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I received my Gemini "Duo" http://gemini-lights.com/products/duo headlight yesterday. Took all of a minute to hang on the V20. Charged up the battery pack and...wow! Very bright light with a remote control switch that works perfectly. I have initially mounted this on the chainstay cross-member...but will remove it to the fin when the mount for that arrives. I went for the 2-cell battery, I'll probably not need more than an hour of 'solid' light on any given ride...the rest will be blinky, using less power, etc. When I get the DS-500 rear light re-mounted, I'll be done with lighting!

Did you go through ActionLedLights?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Actually, I ordered it direct from Gemini (light and battery). Shipped direct from China, FedEx dropped it on my doorstep. I'll have to check but I think it was only a week turnaround.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
+1 for ActionLedLights for better prices.
$149.95 for the config I purchased...from either source. Shipping cost is ~1/3 from Action ($7) vs Gemini ($22)...and I simply failed to remember that when I decided to order. :confused:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Not as much what I did to my Cruzbike today, but I did a few weeks ago, and about what I like about it most today.

I'm so impressed with tubeless...no freaking flats. Like why have I been running tubes all this time and contending with goathead flats almost every ride. I feel like I've spent a small fortune on tubes...no more tubes for me.

Today I lowered the tire pressure down to 75 psi. There was absolutely NO noticeable additional rolling. Flew downhill just as if I was running 100 psi on tubed tires...but the bumps and chipseal was less noticeable.

Never tubes again, tubeless is the way to go, I'm a convert.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
The only issue with tubeless is if you slice and dice your tire. Some of these tires are notorious for putting on with a tube. You just need a little pinch on that tube and then you got a problem. I always carry patches.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
I'm considering a tubeless for front only as that seems to cause most problems after a flat. Any thoughts? My wheels are already mismatched with A67 on rear an American classic on front. What is best wheel tire combo?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I'm considering a tubeless for front only as that seems to cause most problems after a flat. Any thoughts? My wheels are already mismatched with A67 on rear an American classic on front. What is best wheel tire combo?
I did this as a temp fix, mix of wheels, tubebless up front. You should be fine, but once you go tubeless on one, you will want to two.

I can only recommend a cheap inexpensive wheel, but not the best. This of course depends what your needs are, aero or climbing or a mix of both.

It seems for now the tire of choice is the Schwalbe Pro One. I have these mounted on DT Swiss R 24 Spline 10/11 speed, the run under $200 a rim. The axel is bottom line, and does not spin as free as I would like...but hey, they're cheap and they look good, and they will get me by until I can save up for a nicer set.

Others may have good suggestions a better wheelsets, such as Flo or Industry nine, etc.

Last edited:

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
I have American classic victory up front. Is that wheel tubeless ready? According to my info victory 30 is tubeless but I suppose that is a different wheel. Thanks for response.

If this is being fitted to the V20 as a rear brake then will it fit? The 140 rear rotor I have only just fits - and this was after filing off 1mm of the weld on the rear dropouts.
I'm looking at adding disk brakes to my V20 using TRP Hy/Rd. I'm not clear on this statement and didn't see a follow up. Do 160mm rotors fit on both drive and non-drive wheels?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm looking at adding disk brakes to my V20 using TRP Hy/Rd. I'm not clear on this statement and didn't see a follow up. Do 160mm rotors fit on both drive and non-drive wheels?

Just be safe and go 160 drive wheel(front) and 140 non drive(rear) that's what I use and it's great. I did have to file just a touch from the weld on the rear to clear the 140mm but beyond the weld is more clearance so a 160mm would need the same amount filed off then it would use up that larger clearance area beyond the weld. I think minor variations in actual individual frame construction come into play with this issue of what rotor can I run.

I have 180 on front, 140 on rear with no rubbing. I could probably fit 200 on the front but with the 180 I can easily lift the rear wheel off the road.
As Jason stated minor variations come into play. The distance from the fork to the rotor probably varies a bit among different hubs. My wheels are SRAM Rail 50 27.5" (650b).

Bill K

Guru
I am running 160mm rotors front and rear on my V20.
I did need to file the weld on the rear, less than 0.5 mm or so. Without filing the weld, the wheel with 160 rotor spun freely but scraped the frame slightly. Essentially file off the paint and just a bit more than that.
Interesting note: the first time I rode with the 160 rotor I did not file the weld enough. If I hit a rock on the road just right (on just one side of the wheel), the wheel would bend slightly and the rotor would ring like a bell when it scraped against the frame.

I would prefer to use a 140 rotor on the back, but I needed the extra clearance between the hub and the HY/RD caliber. With the 140, the spokes contacted the caliper (like Mathew Fy mentioned, this depends on the hub you use).
I now have about 2000 miles on that wheel and have no issues at all with it: HED Belgum Plus rim, SON dynohub, 160mm rotor, Maxis Re-fuse 700 x 32c tubeless.
Note: the 700 x 32c tire barely clears the brake bridge, and would definitely contact the brake bridge on a narrow rim so you may not want to try this.

LMT

160mm for the front and 140 for the rear, with the need to file the weld as the rear rotor was scraping against it.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Made an all new headrest with new mounting point for a larger seat bag so I can carry two tubes instead of only one. Even though I used the same .125" thick aluminum I made the plate it 1.75" wide vs 2.25" like the original. The idea was to save a little weight as well as promote a bit flex over rough roads.

Then I rode the DF bike in my local lunch ride/race group. I'm starting to gain a reputation it seems where everyone want to keep me at the front because they feel if they don't tire me out I'll drop them. Today even though we had 25 riders I pulled for 5-10 mins at a time then when it came to the big hill climb I dropped everyone when the group wouldn't rotate and help each other. I didn't attack, I just slowly picked up the pace till there was no one behind me. The irony is if the group of 5-10 faster riders would just continuously rotate and pull through even at a slower pace then I'd feel content to just ride with them. Be leaving me out front all the time and not rotating they force me to get in a better workout which then only makes me stronger for the next ride and their own situation all the more dire.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Rode it 99.98 miles then grabbed a little panda express. I think I'll laminate this fortune to the Vendetta frame somewhere to let everyone know the cookie made me do it.
5CBB1E68-53D2-45C8-AC5E-9B2ED867B74B_zps2sj4kv4k.jpg

DavidCH

Rode it 99.98 miles then grabbed a little panda express. I think I'll laminate this fortune to the Vendetta frame somewhere to let everyone know the cookie made me do it.
5CBB1E68-53D2-45C8-AC5E-9B2ED867B74B_zps2sj4kv4k.jpg
I think You sent yourself a message. LOL

DavidCH

I don't get many visitors fly in to see me but today I had my best friend, closest cousin and brother all fly in so I thought I had to greet them at the airport. So why not do it in style? I arrived with the Golden V wearing the new Cruzbike Jersey.

My word. Talk about stopping the traffic...
image.jpeg

We are spending a week together doing sightseeing and riding around southern Spain. Epic

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Been in South Carolina cleaning up after the hurricane. After Matthew departed the area, the weather was clear and cool...perfect riding weather, but I didn't have a bike! I spent the week picking up sticks, limbs and branches...then raking all the leaves, etc. My neighbor across-the-street was out on his DF every day. :mad: When we return (spring), I'm going to take one of the V2/Ks and leave it there so I'll have something to ride.

We got back Sunday and there was a package waiting: my new Giro Air Attack helmet. I took it out for a test ride (first test ride for the Gemini lights too). The helmet is excellent, I love the fit and the face shield. It sits high enough on my neck that it doesn't touch the headrest and get pushed forward (like the previous helmet). Got props for the Gemini lights too. Very bright daytime blink, easily seen. I'm going to make a special run this evening to test them in the dark.