What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
On the website of the pedals it shows you the correct foot position relative to the pedal axle. My heel-clips are made so my foot is in the same position, and I do not need pins.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Went to remove the inner tube I had to put in the rear tire of the vendetta just before the start of the 24hr race months ago and found a second problem. I pulled off the tire and rim tape since I suspected the tape to have a micro leak in it somewhere I couldn't see. I was using gorilla duct tape but decided to try gorilla clear repair tape per the recommendations from a Mtb forum. The clear tape is nice and formable as well as very sticky but it was recommended to use two layers because there has been reports of the tape tearing at the spoke holes at CX or roadie pressures. The one major pain is cutting the tape to the width you want because it only comes in 2" width. I applied a 1/2" width layer in the center channel over the spoke holes to support the second 1" wide piece that coves the whole bottom area. It forms to the shape of the rim without fussing and the glue keeps it stuck without any lifting. If only this stuff could be purchased in 22mm width it'd be perfect. When I went to air up the tire all seemed well until sealant started spraying out the side. Apparently a tiny hole in the casing right above the bead let go making the tire useless for tubeless. I know this wasn't the problem at the 24hr so it must have just happened or somehow happened during the 24hr when I had a tube inside. I swapped to my spare tire and aired it up without further issue. Yesterday I set he tire to 100psi and overnight it only lost 5psi which is basically nothing when you consider loss of air when checking.

The front wheel still has the gorilla duct tape in there and looks to be holding well after poplin the bead on one side of the tire to take a peek. I just added a little more TruckerCo sealant to it and aired it up again. I will say that after 3 months in my closet the front tire was down to maybe 10psi so if I do find its leaking I'll replace the current duct tape with clear tape.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Fiddled around with the tubeless and waxed all the chains on the whole families bikes. I seem to be having trouble with air leaking around the valve stem seal. I'm using silca valve stems with the runner speed shield but when I inflate to 100psi I hearing air leak and if I wiggle the valve to leaks more. I removed the speed shield and just used the bare nut and it seems to be better. Anyone have any tip on getting a better seal between the tape and valve?

Oh yeah and I rode outside for the first time in 3 months if you can believe that.

hoyden

Oh yeah and I rode outside for the first time in 3 months if you can believe that.
I can believe that. We got a squirt of 4-5 warms days last week in MN and I rode outside for the first time since last November.

God bless Kreitler Rollers, but I'll take riding outside over inside any day when the temps are above 50F and there's no ice on the trail.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
They're is something strangely relaxing about riding alongside a giant rolling hills covered in tall grass and watching that tall grass sway like the ocean from the passing wind. The picturesque blue sky with just the right amount of scattered clouds made me appreciate the looking up at the sky position on the Cruzbike today.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
New adjustable headrest, bottle cage holder and bottle cages, utility post, lights.
IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0524.JPG IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0523.JPG
Those lights can be mounted with the velcro straps included with the lights instead of t-cycle double-ended mounts. I use the t-cycle mounts because that way I don't have to remove the lights for charging; just unscrew the top cap and plug in the charger out in the garage.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Took the extra water bottle cage off the left underseat strut because it was a pain to get into the underseat bag with it on there. Left the Minoura mount in place though, and moved pump to that position. (Underseat bottle cage still there of course)
IMG_0525.JPG
----------------------------------------------
Right underseat strut bottle cage remains; it is a LOT easier to access while riding. Pump now on other side. Underseat bag as well as 'top tube' bag above it. Top tube bag holds inner tubes which i carry despite running tubeless.
IMG_0526.JPG

Now have space for 5 bottles, which will be most useful come summer time.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Well after the admittedly very cool Cruzbike alloy bottle cages arrived and are now mounted, I stumbled across these bad boys from TriRig, the manufacturers of ratz' OmegaX brakes (all the images I could find are copyrighted and won't let me download, hence the link instead of a pic):
www.tririg.com/store.php?c=kappa

Expensive but 'flared at top for easy bottle insertion' sounds just right for that behind-the-head putting the bottle back maneuver!

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I have bought Velogical rim dynamo. It was pain to install it on V20 aero fork and find position where it doesn't slip under heavy load. I had to made my own bolt that fits shape of fork and rubber shims to make mount parallel to rim. Clearance is really tight so I hope that spokes will clear bolts under heavy pedalling.
Now I am testing it and designing my own electronics for it. I will be testing dynamo outside once I will cure my flu.

Attachments

• 2017-03-06 20.59.37.jpg
    2017-03-06 20.59.37.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2017-03-06 20.59.25.jpg
    2017-03-06 20.59.25.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 33
  • 2017-03-06 21.00.20.jpg
    2017-03-06 21.00.20.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 2017-03-06 20.58.48.jpg
    2017-03-06 20.58.48.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 34

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Added faster air to the tires and tried to break the 5hr otherwise known as 20mph in an 8000' century. Came in a few mins over 5hrs but I was pleased to get a 220 watt average for the whole ride which is 20 watts better then my best last year. I suspect a couple mins were lost to the second 50 miles being in the dark with lots of 30-40 mph areas on very dirty roads. All the recent rain has washed mud, rock and dormant streams onto this route so at night you must be extra alert to spot the rocks early enough to dodge.

It's amazing how well the Vendetta fits my body and how I can comfortably just keep churning out the power hour after hour. I wonder how many riders can break 5hr on a century with this much climbing and a solo effort to boot.

https://www.strava.com/activities/892952189

http://open.relive.cc/wf/click?upn=...lf2y0cA98sJjw3pdkAH-2BKqsVGYRBUdPMvX7cF1Dc-3D

Last edited:
I finally cut my boom. I've been riding my S30 with the boom about 15 cm longer than recommended by Cruzbike guidance. I cut 6 inches off. The bike also got new grip tape. The grip tape always gives me fits since I don't wrap many handlebars. I did watch the video by Ratz. Loved the music. I also have the new headrest on the way. Once I get it squared away with the the headrest, I'll post a pic.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Did you cut the boom or the slider? I cut the slider nearly 2 years ago and I am not yet regretting it. Are these bikes designed for really tall people? Does Mr Tolhurst have really long legs?

Did you cut the boom or the slider? I cut the slider nearly 2 years ago and I am not yet regretting it. Are these bikes designed for really tall people? Does Mr Tolhurst have really long legs?
I cut the boom using a pipe cutter a plumber friend of mine owned. I read somewhere on the forum the boom/slider is sized for 6'2. It is easier to cut the boom for shorter folks than it is to supply another boom for taller.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Shouldn't it sit on the brake surface?
I was looking at the Velospeeder from Velogical to get some help on hills. But I would mount it on the rear.
It would be nice to let it sit on brake surface but it slips under heavy load when sitting there. In this position I can get as much as 18W of electrical DC power at 50 km/h without any slipping.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Received new headrest and the little TerraCycle light mount thingy so I can move my light down to the chainstay spreader. Installed the light mount last night, works great! I'll reconfigure for the new headrest this weekend. Hopefully, the new aero box ("Race Case") will show up soon...

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
It's amazing how well the Vendetta fits my body and how I can comfortably just keep churning out the power hour after hour. I wonder how many riders can break 5hr on a century with this much climbing and a solo effort to boot.
Back when I was younger (2015), strong and faster, I rode a local Century+ on my Vendetta.
My power meter was probably a little higher as my Garmin Vectors had a habit of kicking out 0's then.
But 111.7 mile in 5:27 with 9,738 climbing, and I went up and over a really tough hill at least 3 times in a 22-mile loop.
Got a couple KOM's and hit 52 mph
Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 9.52.03 AM.png

This was one of my best rides of the year. I had had my Vendetta for about 6 months at this time.
My right shoulder also had a torn rotator cuff that I had operated on about a week later.
https://www.strava.com/activities/268835601

I hope some day we can ride one of these big mountain rides together on our Vendettas. I'm sure you will kick my @$$, but it will still be fun! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I cut the boom using a pipe cutter a plumber friend of mine owned. I read somewhere on the forum the boom/slider is sized for 6'2. It is easier to cut the boom for shorter folks than it is to supply another boom for taller.

Slider is up by the handlebar;
boom is the end by the feet;

just to keep people from getting confused; Cutting the slider not recommended; cutting the boom is a safer bet.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Slider was the one I cut. When I announced it in this forum I mistakenly said boom. I pushed the slider in as far as it would go, and it still stuck out too far. Cutting the boom will not make the slider go any further in.