What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

Today, I added the Giant Aero Water bottle and carbon cage under the boom (where it meets the handlebar).
The curved slider will not accomodate the Giant Aero Water bottle and carbon cage underneath the slider. Cruzbike added matching screw bosses on top, but that would put the bottle into the wind.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The curved slider will not accomodate the Giant Aero Water bottle and carbon cage underneath the slider. Cruzbike added matching screw bosses on top, but that would put the bottle into the wind.

Use rubber grommets and it fits fine. One on each bolt will do it. $0.10 at the hardware store.

IMG_6152.jpg

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
An intelligent idea from ratz. I am now the man with two master-links.

My speedo has gone wrong. The fastest I have been is apparently 127 mph. I could never do that in Essex, there are no volcanoes or ski-slopes.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Finally got a break and put 25 mi on the V20 with the new tailbox and neckrest. I took along some tools so that I could adjust everything as needed.

1. Box is noisy. The oval lid rattles like a tin-can over the slightest rough spot. Should be easy to fix with some tape and/or rubber strip. Nice to have a bit of extra space to put stuff though.
2. Neck rest is a tad on the 'stiff' side. By 'stiff', I mean that it has very little spring to it and transfers a lot of road vibration. Having the tailbox hanging off the headrest tube exacerbates those vibrations. The ADEM neck-rest was, OTOH, extremely flexible and sometimes felt a bit too bouncy. Gotta be a balance in there somewhere.
3. The "inverted" position I used for the neck rest has its own problems. While it works and is reasonably comfortable on the smooth stuff, it is not well suited for the occasional pothole or hard knock. When I got bounced out of my seat yesterday, the vertebra at the nape of my neck caught the edge of the neck rest...I've got a bruise this morning. That wouldn't happen if the rest were in its designed position. Ah well, I tried! :confused:

Bentas

Still lots more sanding and wrapping with Carbon, but getting there I think , all glued together with Wests 105.
Thor seat arrived this week they sent the GS instead of the sport,but has a nice bucket type seat pan and as I'm building this bike for climbing more than aero I think it's a keeper.
Geometry is between V and Silvio 71 degrees and about 3 inches of trail,
Seat angle will end up around 25 degrees , and seat height about 19 inches ,which is cool as I'm a shorty 5'5". image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I slid the top tube back 1/2" (around 13mm) to experiment with my knee angles. I was happily running quite a flat extension. Previously, I could easily flex my ankle and let my knee go to a full 180 (while at rest, when pedaling I would guess 170 max). Now, I'm seeing more like ~150 degrees at BDC. Put her out on the road this afternoon and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Full sun, 72F, light breezes...very comfy. I put a short 18 miles on her, averaging about 16mph. Towards the end, I got passed by a roadie in full kit (he did wave as he passed). I like having a rabbit...so I stepped it up and sat very comfortably about 2M behind him, cruzing along at 18mph with a HR of ~130-140. That was right in my comfort zone, stepping it up to pass would have pointless.

The photo is from a short water stop on the MUT. I also swapped out my 1.5L Camelbak bladder for a 2.0L Mil-Spec bladder, retaining the insulated hose, etc. I think it better fills up the race-case (mo' water be good) but the hose is way too long and I had trouble using it whilst moving. I'm in process of setting up the bladder with a quick-disconnect for fast refilling thru the drinking hose. Not quite there yet but close!

Attachments

• 5-07-17 V20.jpg
    5-07-17 V20.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 49

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Disassembled the front end Sunday morning, removed Large chainstay replaced with Std. My Xseam was right in the middle between large and standard, so I flipped a coin and bought it with a large. Having ridden it that way since August, I have lost a good bit of weight and size. Lost a couple inches in Xseam...(although I'm genetically predisposed to an aft CG).

I got the chainstay swapped out and tried her on for size...now the curved slider is way up in the air (which I expected). So, I swapped it out for the straight slider that originally came with the bike. Much mo' bettah. Now the bike looks like a 'normal' V20...and I fit (which is sayin' sumpin').

Of course, not all went smoothly. I think it took me three tries to get the FD rigged properly. Its a SRAM Rival 'yaw' FD. I took it back to 'square one' twice...finally got it right (after reviewing a youtube video). The RD was worse. Nothing I did would get it shifting smoothly...and it kept overshifting past 1st gear and into the spokes. Never had that before. So, I fiddled and fiddled and finally discovered that the D-hangar was bent a little. Not much, but enough to give me fits. Took about 2sec to straighten...bolt everything back together and voila! Shifts like its supposed to.

So...off on a test ride. 18mi on the MUT, very nice to have it shifting properly. It had been 'cranky' for a little while, skipping some gears, etc. (now I know why!). The shorter chainstay seems to be a bit more stable riding than the longer one. Getting my feet down and opening up my hip angle feels like I have a little bit more power. Not sure really...just feels 'different'.

Pic shows current config. Camelbak tube is still too long. I've gotten it rigged up with a quick disconnect on the 'bite valve' end...but not very happy with it as I had to kluge together two fittings with a short piece of tubing in order to get the 90 deg. bite valve I prefer. However, I just received a special 'refill' adapter that fits on a standard water bottle (or garden hose) and allows refilling the bladder from the quick disconnect on the bite valve end. LOL, I was going to test it out yesterday...but I couldn't find a water bottle anywhere in the house. :confused:

I gotta do something about the headrest tubing. It sticks up just enough past my headrest to touch my helmet. Not much...but enough to make every bump a tap on the helmet...which is seriously annoying. Anybody heard anything further about the 'shorter' headrest tube that was supposedly in the works? I will probably just cut this one down...

Attachments

• 20170521_164334_resized.jpg
    20170521_164334_resized.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Finally got the old V2/k cleaned up and rejuvenated. New tires (Vittorio Rubino 700x28's), new chain (waxed, etc.). Shined up, with full re-adjustment on all derailleurs (triple and 11-36 X0). Took her out yesterday morning for my usual Sunday morning 25miler...performed as usual, very comfy, etc. I've been on the V20 so much that I forget how mindlessly easy the V2/k is to ride...creeping along without staggering all over the road, dropping it down into 'tree climber' gearing and woofing up whatever grade I can stand, etc. The suspended front end isn't the classiest or most stable thing...pogos a bit, gets wiggly over about 30mph...but for simple 'wandering about the neighborhoods', it is hard to beat. I think of this ride as a 'prep' for the T50 (although the T50 won't have the gearing for steep climbs).

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I fired up the lathe and converted my new Enve wheels from 12mm axels to QR 135mm and 9 x 100mm axels so I could use them on the vendetta. The Enve AR 4.5 are about the widest rims you're going to find for road use at 25mm internal width and the 28mm pro one tubeless tires fit with enough room to not even worry about frame rub. The wider tires at 65-70psi give a smoother more confidence inspired feel through the corners that I felt more comfortable leaning the V20 over further than ever before. The difference is slight but still enough that I now think I may be able to corner slightly faster on the V over the DF assuming the road is not lumpy which still does a number on the V's stability. This was my first ride on the V in 3 months but I felt at home on the bike as ever from the first pedal stroke. Yesterday was the first time my sense of fun overtook my sense of thrill while descending on the V. Normally I just enjoy the thrill of riding that dangerous line between safety and crashing but I felt so comfortable yesterday that the thrill faded a bit and I was just having fun all while going faster then before. It was truly an eye opening experience and may have been the first time I though "I just love riding this bike for everything it is". I know many of you have stated such an enjoyment from your cruzbikes but after 2 years I finally feel like I experienced the same level of love for the bike.

Only 1-2 more rides before I pack it up for the plane flight out to texas for next weeks race, I feel the V and I are in a good spot together going into this event.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I really enjoy my Silvio these days. For a long time it did not seem quite right. In the early days I was wondering why I was bothering. Either I got used to it or my modifications improved it. These days it makes me feel the way I used to on a steel racer-tourer. This is too subtle to explain, but I realise that it is something I have been missing for all these miles and years on the Grasshopper.

Now what can you do to get the thrill back? Start riding it in the MTB races? Mud is softer than tarmac when you fall off.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Pretty steady build since the 4th of july; not too fast not too slow.
While 77CTL isn't huge fitness for you , its going to be Rock Solid fitness. It's not gonna fade fast
Much more stable than what you build in Dec/Jan.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 18.43.38 PM.png

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Pretty steady build since the 4th of july; not too fast not too slow.
While 77CTL isn't huge fitness for you , its going to be Rock Solid fitness. It's not gonna fade fast
Much more stable than what you build in Dec/Jan.

View attachment 5545

Did you mean to post this in the what did you do to your cruzbike today thread? I was totally looking at this chart for several mins assuming it was your data and thinking well damn @ratz said he was off his game but this chart looks better then what I'd expect from mine. Mins later I noticed the little jason perez at the top left :lol

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I rode my bike today. Bliss.

Even had a motorist come up by me and then got behind me to see what I could do. 42kph into the wind and on the flat.

Guess I am not so slow after all