What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

Robert O

2000 miles.
As of todays ride, my Strava odometer for the V20 says 2027.2 miles. I guess I can't call it "new" any more.
I know there are a few people around here that have done 2000 miles in less that a week. Truly impressive. It took me four months.

Here was ride #1 on December 5th.
You have all been there, and done that. The Rats learn to ride instructions just work if you do this. Period.
View attachment 2460

Fast forward to todays commute to work. This picture is from UW campus with Mount Rainier in the distance.
View attachment 2461

This bridge is proof that the Rats training works. This is a sharp 120 degree turn from the waterfront onto the narrow footbridge. And it is uphill.
In over a year of riding my Bacchetta, I could never "Stick" this turn. I usually avoided it (the Bacchetta is a great bike, so I'm sure it is the riders fault).
On the V20, I can hold my lane, clipped in, and feel good doing it (although I sit strait up to improve balance and visibility).
View attachment 2462

This is the really fun part: Sammamish river trail. That's the Red Hook brewery off to the right, in case you are short on carbs.
This is a popular Strava segment. I'm in 311th place out of 5127 riders (or, 9th place out of 320 in my age group 55 to 64).
My Bacchetta still holds my PB on this segment, but the V will be taking it away from the B any day now.
The KOM leader did this segment in 17 minutes on 288 watts. Hmm, If I strip the V of its commuter baggage, pump the tires, maybe I have a chance...
View attachment 2463

Bill
Another Seattle-area V rider! I'll be eagerly watching for Vendettas this riding season.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Could you post a few more pictures of your dry-bag/velcro setup?
2016-04-20 15.09.37.jpg 2016-04-20 15.10.04.jpg 2016-04-20 15.09.19.jpg 2016-04-20 15.09.53.jpg
After 360 km of testing in Germany I can say that it works. This solution is good for things you don't need to access often. I can get things from bags without unmounting but for better access it is better to remove bags from bike. Dry bags don't let water to go in but also don't let it go out so your swetted clotes puted inside will stay swetted and get more smell.

Snilard is a randonneur. I think Southend is a long ride.
Have I missed anything?

My last enhancement to Vendetta is one layer of electric tape under boom/headrest clamp. My front triangle was making unpleasant sound when I it catched some dust. I always cleared all connections but it helped only for some time. Last week I realised that main source of sound is clamp connecting boom tube with headset. I putted one layer of electric tape under this clamp and sounds are gone.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I literally never made it home all of last week and slept at the shop because of 4 late nights of working on the Vendetta. I completely swapped every component for something else except for the frame and handlebars. Some components needed a little Rojoracing machine work done to fit the system but in the end it all worked perfectly for Saturday's century. The bike is so much better in so many ways but I'll save the details for when I have time for a full write up on the latest build. For now enjoy this picture of me patiently waiting for the group to catch back up :rolleyes:

2BBC6391-59B0-4A64-AA33-27B09C0DFDA7_zpsyfyry5qk.jpg

C880E76A-65DC-466E-BD1E-9D1DE84E37BD_zpsk5mcfgo5.jpg

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Oh my! I love the top photo Rojo. Do you mind if I use it somewhere. I have no idea where but one day I'm sure it will come in useful ;)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Sure just give photo credit to Ray Prevost who is actually the guy in the second picture wearing the red giro air attack.

My local crew is such a cool group, they really are the only reason I still play on the asphalt. My dad is in the other red helmet down low wearing the 53-11 jersey.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Jason, nice to read you got the bike rebuild done and was able to get a ride in. And yeah, I love the first photo. Looking forward to the build details. The giant grim tells all!:D

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I modified my SRAM Apex shifter.
2016-05-01 17.45.42.jpg 2016-05-01 19.39.44.jpg 2016-05-01 19.40.02.jpg
Don't you know material what it is made of? I am looking for some glue to repair it. I believe that it will work if glued in correct position. I have riden 100 km with it and it shifted correctly when I moved parts a little before each shift down.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
snilard, oh, how painful it looks.....:eek:.....hopefully, no actual pain for you.
I was pushing the bike backwards and stumbled over it. So only small scratch on my palm.
Only other parts harmed on the bike are bar tape and bottle holder.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I did something similar, though did not hurt the steed, only torqued a joint on my little finger. Like when a thoroughbred nips at you to remind you that he wants to get going fast!

tmp_11711-Thouroughbred1598362989.jpeg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Mini ride report from today as I blow off writing my last two Vendetta race reports :p

Rode the Vendetta on the normal hill climb Monday route with the fast lunch group. After dropping them on the first long section of slight DH(expected) I waited a minute at the bottom of the climb for everyone to go by then I slowly started passing the group. Last week I accused a few of the faster riders of sand bagging because I started the Thursday routes steep climb with only a small lead and they never caught and pressured me so I felt cheated. Today I started at the rear and came ready for a real fight up the 21 min climb.

I started creeping by the group on the first part of the climb which is not steep but had a strong headwind today. The group started to break apart as I passed and by the time I reached the front the lead group was only 6 strong. I cruzed into the lead and slowly started pulling away little by little up the 4 mile climb. I started to wonder if they were play at some game with me like if they keep letting me get away maybe I bring back the DF bike, I was kind of bummed as I worked up the climb and it put a slight dampener on my motivation. Nevertheless I kept a solid effort watching the tiny riders in my mirror hoping they would mount some kind of unexpected attack as the climb continued to grow steeper. As we climbed higher and higher my hope dwindled and I once again became frustrated that they must not be trying and it was ruining my chances at a decent workout. Up the last 1/2 mile I had given up on the catching me and I just focused on maxing my HR out as much as possible up the last kicker I used to struggle to get up with my old 36t cog. Today I'm limited to only a 32t and I never even used it at all so I must be a little stronger then I was 4 months ago. I got to the top 40 seconds ahead of the next guy and after I caught my breath I told one of the riders "it still feels like you guys are sandbagging the climbs".

As it turns out I averaged 299 watts for 20 mins on that climb which is a few watts more then my best on the DF and close to 30 or so more then my next best effort on the Vendetta. I guess they weren't sandbagging and I just happened to have an excellent day in the saddle.

If you want a good laugh check out the comments between Scott and I on the Strava account of the ride. I know the Vendetta is not a better climber then my DF but it's hard to argue against the fact that I am stronger then I was last year and Novembers 24 worlds is still a long ways off.

https://www.strava.com/activities/570890293

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Nice report Jason, and good job. It seems to me, not only are you fast on flats, rollers, descents, but also climbing...and most importantly getting stronger and stronger.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Nice report Jason, and good job. It seems to me, not only are you fast on flats, rollers, descents, but also climbing...and most importantly getting stronger and stronger.
What Rick said.
Awesome ride and power output up that climb!
Jason you need to consider Lake Taupo in New Zealand(Nov 26 I think). 100 miles around lake with killer climbs thrown in.
You could whip up on them bad!

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
As it turns out I averaged 299 watts for 20 mins on that climb which is a few watts more then my best on the DF and close to 30 or so more then my next best effort on the Vendetta. I guess they weren't sandbagging and I just happened to have an excellent day in the saddle.
After few rides with PM I looked at my data and compared it to Yours on Strava. I realised, that I have one third lower values than You. I have to work hard.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Last ride I realised, that my setup of Vendetta is comfortable when applying significant power. All my body has to work so my head is a little bit lifted from headrest. Also in high speeds tires work better as suspension compared to low speeds. I also realised that on German roads It is OK also in low power. But German roads are not Czech roads.
So I understand that @LarryOz is OK with default setup, he does not ride easy.
But I would like to be comfortable and without headache also on long randonnées what are usually riden on not so good roads. So I am more and more willing to buy Thor seat.
I think that stock seat is better for racing because you are in more aero position, compared to classic recumbent seat like Thor. So probubly I would need two bikes: one for racing and one for randonneuring. But I can have only one...

PeteClark

I think that stock seat is better for racing because you are in more aero position, compared to classic recumbent seat like Thor. So probubly I would need two bikes: one for racing and one for randonneuring. But I can have only one...

I think you could use Rick's rubber block mounts for the Thor, but leave the Velcro in place for an easy switch back to the stock seat.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
A more aero setup will always be faster from a drag perspective but it wouldn't mean anything if you can only get 90% of your power to the pedals due to discomfort. With my current setup my head is about 3" higher so a little more drag in the wind. But what I have gained is much better view of the road through corners and the comfort to push as hard during my 14th hour as my 1st hour. There's been many studies around DF bike setups and lower handlebar setups to maximize aerodynamics. What they discover each time is beyond a certain point you start loosing power and it quickly becomes more loss then what the slight aero advantage can contribute.

When I visited Rick two months ago he had asked me if I would race RAMM and as always I quickly responded no, stating the Vendetta just wasn't comfortable enough for multiple long days like that. He then said "what if you could ride for 20hrs and get off feeling fresh with no pain?" I said if that day comes then maybe. I may have reached the point where I can ride for 14hrs strait with no ergonomic fatigue but my answer is still NO at this point. I'm just not roadie enough for 3000 miles in a week.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
A more aero setup will always be faster from a drag perspective but it wouldn't mean anything if you can only get 90% of your power to the pedals due to discomfort. With my current setup my head is about 3" higher so a little more drag in the wind. But what I have gained is much better view of the road through corners and the comfort to push as hard during my 14th hour as my 1st hour. There's been many studies around DF bike setups and lower handlebar setups to maximize aerodynamics. What they discover each time is beyond a certain point you start loosing power and it quickly becomes more loss then what the slight aero advantage can contribute.

When I visited Rick two months ago he had asked me if I would race RAMM and as always I quickly responded no, stating the Vendetta just wasn't comfortable enough for multiple long days like that. He then said "what if you could ride for 20hrs and get off feeling fresh with no pain?" I said if that day comes then maybe. I may have reached the point where I can ride for 14hrs strait with no ergonomic fatigue but my answer is still NO at this point. I'm just not roadie enough for 3000 miles in a week.
Thank you. That is exactly what I needed to read. Now I have to decice if I will go cheap with glass fibre version or with carbon fibre. Other dilema is headrest. Aden headrest is no choise for me but I can order it from Thor or I can get Azub headrest easily.